• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last train from Bayonne to SJPDP

Lynn2023

Time of past OR future Camino
Coastal Portugese
I am arriving in Bayonne at 18:26 and the train to SJPDP is at18:37! If I miss this train Is there another means of transport to SJPDP ?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You arrive by train? Then you will not miss the train. The regional train should wait for the TGV and the station is tiny.
But it is the last one, you miss it you'll either have to take a taxi or sleep in Bayonne.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You arrive by train? Then you will not miss the train. The regional train should wait for the TGV and the station is tiny.
But it is the last one, you miss it you'll either have to take a taxi or sleep in Bayonne.
Yes, I'm arriving by train from Paris. Thank you for your very helpful information.

Bayonne is a beautiful place for an overnight if necessary. Accommodation recommendations from Gronze below.

Refuge St. JAQUES is a grand little Albergue that accepts reservations, beside the Cathedral and near lots of restaurants. Credential also available there.

That said, advice in thread above is sound.

Open Gronze in Chrome for automatic machine translation into English (or most other languages).

In 2022, I arrived on the last train into Bayonne and was greeted by crickets. My arrival was delayed because of a rail strike two weeks earlier that changed my connection from CDG into Bayonne. The last connecting train to SJPDP had departed ~30 minutes before I arrived (I learned later). There were NO personnel in the station for either train systems, so no one to ask for assistance…. and although I found a couple of locals who were willing to help, the language barrier was insurmountable.

That’s a long-winded way of saying; No, they don’t hold the train for you.

I was fortunate to find a bartender in a nearby bistro that spoke English and he arranged for a taxi to take me to SJPDP for the paltry sum of only €150. (Cash only - Tip included). The bartender did suggest that I spend the night in Bayonne, have a nice French dinner (in his Bistro, of course), and take the train to SJPDP the following morning - a suggestion that in hindsight I wish I had taken. It would have saved me ~€100…. and I would have had a nice French dinner!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That’s a long-winded way of saying; No, they don’t hold the train for you.
Thanks for the reality check ☺️. The train from Bayonne to SJPP is a local train for locals with eight stops and it is not just serving pilgrims. They want to get home in the evening, the train driver wants to get home after a day's work, and French Railway tries not to have to pay for overtime of their staff and compensation to passengers due to delays. The train may be held for a few minutes when the TGV from Paris is delayed but not "always" for any length of time.

Usually, 11 minutes is plenty of time to change trains in Bayonne but it is best to be prepared for alternative options. Buen Camino to everyone who will pass through there in 2024!

I saw a "What is new in 2024" announcement for Line 54 Bayonne-SJPP with the timetable for 2024 valid until 5 July 2024. Apparently some new train connections have been added: On Saturdays and Sundays in June and July, the last train departs at 21:00 from Bayonne and on Fridays the last departure from Bayonne is at 20:18. Trains with the highest demand (day and/or time) are also marked.

Line 54 was apparently the line with the highest number of cancellations in the region in 2023. Reason: Lack of staff. There is usually a replacement bus on such occasions but sometimes there was none.

Good overview for planning purposes:
(This timetable is something I have only ever seen on the TER website and not on SNCF, Trainline and similar).

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back