• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy en Velay in 2 weeks.....Exactly!

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 PRIMITIVO 2022 LE PUY 2023
Hello gang,
Well I'm leaving on my third Camino in two weeks. I haven't been as active on this site as the last two but none the less am still fully vested in every pilgrims excitement, trepidation, and joi du Camino!

I will arrive in Nice, France on April 1 in the morning and will get to Le Puy via Lyon and start to walk on April 4th with a fellow pilgrim James from Britain whom I met a year ago on the Primitivo! I don't know what to expect but do expect to miss my wife and 5 yr old son Shane whom I adore to the end of this world. I'm looking forward to using my French and meeting the locals. I hope everyone on this forum finds their Camino fulfilling. I will post from time to time. Au revoir et Bon Chemin a tous mes pelerins!

Richard "El lechero"

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's been almost 20 years since we did the first part of the LePuy route, but we did have snow in the early stage (Aubrac). I don't know if you have looked into the anticipated weather, but just wanted to suggest you check it out and be prepared. That said, I loved the LePuy route--absolutely beautiful!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I do hope you have good weather. I leave home four weeks from Tuesday and will begin walking from Le Puy 21 April, and know that I may encounter snow. We walked the trail before in September-October and heat was a bit of an issue, not too much but I prefer walking in cooler weather. Bon courage et bon chemin.

Wow! I am flying out Apr 1 too! I will be in Le Puy April 2, and am thinking of hitting the road Apr 4 after a day of recuperation in Le Puy. Blue pack, white hair, hiking poles. Buen camino! Sheila

Bonjour Richard. By coincidence, when I walked the Le Puy Way in 2014, i also started on 4 April. I was blessed with the weather - a bit of this and that - some leftover snow on the Aubrac, a few rain showers and some mud sometimes but all very manageable and I don’t recall any problems due to weather. But anything can happen … so best to be prepared.

We live in Australia but from 1 April will be based in France for an extended time … in Lectoure, a beautiful hilltop town about 3/4 of the way through the Chemin du Puy. Feel free to be in touch when you are a few days out and, if we will be ‘hôme’ at the tîme we will be happy to say ‘bonjour’ and also help in any way if needed.

The Le Puy Way is glorious. Bon chemin 😎

PS. Same goes for you @Vagabonder and @Smash123

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I do hope you have good weather. I leave home four weeks from Tuesday and will begin walking from Le Puy 21 April, and know that I may encounter snow. We walked the trail before in September-October and heat was a bit of an issue, not too much but I prefer walking in cooler weather. Bon courage et bon chemin.
We will leave Le Puy on 22nd April. :( We will miss you by a day, Vagabonder.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's been almost 20 years since we did the first part of the LePuy route, but we did have snow in the early stage (Aubrac). I don't know if you have looked into the anticipated weather, but just wanted to suggest you check it out and be prepared. That said, I loved the LePuy route--absolutely beautiful!
So, when you say "snow", what do you mean? Is there snow pack on the trail? I am training in snow, since we have a lot here, and my shoes are pretty good for grip and warm enough, but they won't grip on ice when the trail is really cold. More info on the snow would be helpful.

IMG-5423.jpg

I walked the camino from Le Puy to Santiago in 2013 leaving Le Puy on April 2nd. There was no snow in Le Puy but the paths were very wet. We had about 4 inches of fresh snow on the plateau and the paths up to the plateau and all along were extremely wet - running streams wet - and very muddy. But when we walked down from the plateau spring had arrived and the walking was much easier. Really only had 3 or 4 days in the snow. Fabulous walk but my feet and boots were wet for about two weeks even with newspaper etc. The mud was more of a challenge than the snow in those early. days of the route. I'd love to do it all again!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello There, apparently La Malle Postale offers trips back to Le Puy ? Can anyone comment on this or the best affordable way or form of transport back ? Thanks

Trips back to Puy from where? I know there’s a bus taking people from Conques back, but not sure about from other towns.
La Malle Postale is very reliable for backpack transport. It ens in Moissac or somewhere near there, and Transport Claudine takes over to SJPP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I start walking from Le Puy on May 13, so I'm getting close. Anybody else around that time? I'm planning on about 15km per day.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims. We will be walking the Via Podiensis from Le Puy-en-Velay in Sep/Oct this year and are in the process of planning our route and stages. We see there are three route variants...
Hi all, I just bought my ticket for my next Camino this summer (yay!). I wanted to walk in France—I loved the Norte and primitivo last year, and I thought it would be cool to explore another...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back