• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy-en-Velay to St. Privat d’Allier in one day?

Cleenjones

CF 2022 Le Puy 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
CF: September 2022
Le Puy: September 2023
Hello all,
This is a question for those of you who’ve walked the Le Puy. In you opinion, how does the 24km from Le Puy-en-Velay to St. Privat compare to the first day on the Frances (SJPP to Roncesvalles)?

Many thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Similar distance, but greater elevation gain on SJPP to Roncesvalles

You can compare the elevation profiles on Gronze. Under the maps there is a + sign on the right that will bring up the elevation profiles.

😎

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It might be a bit less difficult compared to the first stage of the Frances. But do not underestimate it. If I remember correctly the last approximately 5 km is a rough decent to the valley of the river Allier. And if you start in Le Puy with „cold legs“ you probably get painful stiff legs in St. Privat (as I had there).

¡Ultreia!

It might be a bit less difficult compared to the first stage of the Frances. But do not underestimate it. If I remember correctly the last approximately 5 km is a rough decent to the valley of the river Allier. And if you start in Le Puy with „cold legs“ you probably get painful stiff legs in St. Privat (as I had there).

¡Ultreia!
Thank you! I will take that under advisement. I’ll make it a slow day🙂

In 2012 I walked from Le Puy to St. Privat d‘Allier in one day and found it as to be far less strenuous than SJPdP to Roncesvalles.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It’s a lovely walk, but I stopped at Montbonnet, just pleasantly tired. I made the mistake the second day of passing through St Privat d’Allier and going all the way to Saugues … and suffered for it. Next time I would keep those first few days under 18km. There is a fair amount of up and down.

It’s a lovely walk, but I stopped at Montbonnet, just pleasantly tired. I made the mistake the second day of passing through St Privat d’Allier and going all the way to Saugues … and suffered for it. NextI ho time I would keep those first few days under 18km. There is a fair amount of up and down.
This sounds like good advice. I’ve already pre- booked most of my accommodations as Mon francais n’est pas bon, and I like to know there will be bed waiting for me at the end of the day. My first three days are 24 km, 21 km, then 19 km. Fingers are crossed that I haven’t been too ambitious!
My training walks are typically between 20 and 26km on rolling hills, and I’ll build to at least a couple of 35 km walks between now and September. Sadly, there are no real steep hills or stadiums/stairs near me to train my legs for the steep inclines and declines. Hoping the longer walks will be enough🤞

Hello all,
This is a question for those of you who’ve walked the Le Puy. In you opinion, how does the 24km from Le Puy-en-Velay to St. Privat compare to the first day on the Frances (SJPP to Roncesvalles)?

Many thanks
Certainly not to be under-estimated! It can be hard work esp. if it is raining OR hot ...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The day out of Le Puy is mostly a long continuous climb, then a drop towards the Allier. It is never as steep as the section from SJPdP to Orison, and neither is the downhill as steep or as long as that to Roncesvalles.
If you coped with SJPdP to Roncesvalles and are roughly as fit this time, you'll waltz it!
The Puy route is wonderful and the hospitality and food excellent. And if you can tune into the French conversation even some of the time you will double your enjoyment!
Bon Chemin!

I’ve walked le Chemin du Puy twice but not the Francés. The first time we stopped in Montbonnet, as my husband wasn’t sure how he’d do with longer stages.
In April I walked with a friend and spent the first night in Saint-Privet. It was extremely windy but I didn’t find it particularly difficult. My friend did as she hadn’t really trained with a backpack, although she’s younger (I turn 70 next month) and she’s a very fit jogger. So it really depends on your fitness level. If you do stop in Montbonnet the first night I recommend spending the second night in Monistrol d’Allier, the climb out of there is something.

Monistrol d’Allier, the climb out of there is something.
It certainly is - up a forest track which zigzags (passing a very small chapel) up and up until you half expect to see a set of pearly gates.....
One of the longest continuous climbs on the Podiensis, I thought.
By contrast, Le Puy to St Privat d'Allier I found fairly straightforward.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve walked le Chemin du Puy twice but not the Francés. The first time we stopped in Montbonnet, as my husband wasn’t sure how he’d do with longer stages.
In April I walked with a friend and spent the first night in Saint-Privet. It was extremely windy but I didn’t find it particularly difficult. My friend did as she hadn’t really trained with a backpack, although she’s younger (I turn 70 next month) and she’s a very fit jogger. So it really depends on your fitness level. If you do stop in Montbonnet the first night I recommend spending the second night in Monistrol d’Allier, the climb out of there is something.
Thank you-

So many viewpoints. I didn't find the walk at all taxing, in fact I walked from Le Puy to Monistrol on the first day. I should preface that I am used to walking longer stages and completed Le Puy to Conques in one week.

If I remember correctly the last approximately 5 km is a rough decent to the valley of the river Allier. And if you start in Le Puy with „cold legs“ you probably get painful stiff legs in St. Privat (as I had there).
Hi, in fact the descent to the river leads to Monistrol-d'Allier.

Saint-Privat is on the top of a hill.
St-Privat.jpg

and Monistrol is on the river, after a bridge built by Gustave Eiffel

Monistrol.JPG

This being said, Le Puy - St-Privat is less strenuous, by far, than SJPdP-Roncesvalles, but is a significant stage. If you are not sure, having you first night in Montbonnet can be a good choice.

In fact, don't appraise the stages on the basis of km distance only.

Can be recommended :
1- Le Puy to Montbonnet 15 km
2 - Montbonnet to Monistrol 13,5 km
3 - Monistrol to Saugues 12 km (steep)

Of course you can walk faster and longer (and hopefully not get... a stress fracture as I did) :confused:

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello all,

Many thanks
We had a similar concern for our camino walk in September so we went ahead and booked a place in St. Privat so we can walk slowly and enjoy the scenery. I got the feeling when reserving that it may be a busy September on this route.

I walked from Le Puy all the way to St Privat last August.

It's a beautiful walk, and I didn't think it was too hard. I'd do it again, if I ever have the chance.

FWIW... I did a lot of training walks to get ready for my Camino, but I live in a flat area (southern Michigan, USA), so I did virtually no hill training before taking on the GR65. Even so, I was fine.

my first two nights were montbonnet and then monistrol. the descent into monistrol is very steep. I thought that descent was tougher than the climb out of monistrol the next day.

the wise pilgrim app has an elevation profile diagram that is nice and detailed

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Both times I walked directly to St Privat and didn't find it too difficult. Certainly a bit easier than St.-Jean to Roncesvalles.

The second day was the hardest for me. Both times. The descent to Monistrol is not to be underestimated. Once I walked it in rain/mud=slippery and once in the heat=fine dust acting like a lubricant and also slippery. I had to throw down my backpack at one point last year, and had to climb down without it to make it down safely.

Then after you made it down, steep up it goes.

It is a beautiful walk though. Have fun and bon chemin!

The descent to Monistrol is not to be underestimated.
I walked the Frances last year and found the descents to be more problematic than the ascents. Wondering what the trail conditions are like on the descent to Monistrol under normal conditions? Also, wondering if there are on other problematic descents on the Le Puy to be aware of? Thanks!

I walked the Frances last year and found the descents to be more problematic than the ascents. Wondering what the trail conditions are like on the descent to Monistrol under normal conditions? Also, wondering if there are on other problematic descents on the Le Puy to be aware of? Thanks!
Since we start in seven weeks, my wife and I are studying every comment with great attention and had the same question after reading the story of throwing the backpack down the hill. We have no problems whatsoever with ascents, however steep. It's steep descents that are a twisted ankle or broken arm or any number of accidents waiting to happen.

Our second day on the Ignaziano out of Loyola, starting in Zumarraga, it was arguably the toughest, longest ascent we can recall on any camino. One is rewarded at the top with lovely hilltop meadow with sheep, horses and cows there to complete the scene. We thought we were in heaven, pausing to drink in the whole scene.

But then there was a very steep descent into Arantazu that we had to navigate in a driving rain, with the path often hard to find because of all the rivulets. It was very slow going, and we wished we each had two poles instead of one.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have to say, I have a very large and quite heavy backpack. For someone with a smaller pack it might be less difficult. I just didn't like the thought of tumbling down the hill with my monster pack still attached to me.

There's also an alternative route I think? I don't have my miam miam dodo anymore to look it up, but maybe someone else knows more.

I usually like descents, but that one and the steep one down to Roncesvalles are not my favourites.

There is an alternative: when arriving at the chapel of Rochegude, you can turn right instead of turning left, reaching the D301 with a softer slope.
But according to me the slope is not so hard. Hiking poles can help.
Mapy.cz Chemin to Monistrol d'Allier

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @Cleenjones I agree that Le Puy en Velay to St Privat is somewhat easier than SJPP to Roncesvalles, but bear in mind that many people who have walked both find that the first 7-10 days (let's say, 200 kms) of the Le Puy is more difficult than the first 200 kms of the Frances. So, if comparing the two, you may want to factor that in to what you do on the first day or so. Either way, it's a great path. Lucky you!

Hi @Cleenjones I agree that Le Puy en Velay to St Privat is somewhat easier than SJPP to Roncesvalles, but bear in mind that many people who have walked both find that the first 7-10 days (let's say, 200 kms) of the Le Puy is more difficult than the first 200 kms of the Frances. So, if comparing the two, you may want to factor that in to what you do on the first day or so. Either way, it's a great path. Lucky you!
Hi @Pelerina:
I recall meeting a lovely Italian woman on the Frances last year. We walked into Pamplona together. She was just ending her Camino (she started in Le Puy end Velay), and I was just starting mine (SJPP). She too had indicated that the Le Puy had more challenging parts than the Frances, but the food and scenery were well worth the effort. So here I am - setting out on the Le Puy starting Sept. 1 2023 :)

I'm a bit of planner and an Anglophone who likes to walk knowing where I'll sleep each night. As a result, I've booked accommodation for every night from Lyon to Pamplona. (All but a few can be cancelled in advance). When setting my stages I relied on GRONZE.com for guidance, and tried to keep all stages under 25 km. I hope my first week wont be too taxing!
Le Puy - St Privat 24 km
St Privat - Saugues 21 km
Saugues - Domain du Sauvage 19 km
Domain du Sauvauge - St Alban 15 km
St Alban- Aumont Aubrac 15 km
Aumont Aubrac- Nasbinals 26 km
Nasbinals - St Chely 16 km

Hi @Pelerina:
I recall meeting a lovely Italian woman on the Frances last year. We walked into Pamplona together. She was just ending her Camino (she started in Le Puy end Velay), and I was just starting mine (SJPP). She too had indicated that the Le Puy had more challenging parts than the Frances, but the food and scenery were well worth the effort. So here I am - setting out on the Le Puy starting Sept. 1 2023 :)

I'm a bit of planner and an Anglophone who likes to walk knowing where I'll sleep each night. As a result, I've booked accommodation for every night from Lyon to Pamplona. (All but a few can be cancelled in advance). When setting my stages I relied on GRONZE.com for guidance, and tried to keep all stages under 25 km. I hope my first week wont be too taxing!
Le Puy - St Privat 24 km
That looks great. Given you’ve booked everything, tell me … are you staying in Lectoure ? If so, on what date? That’s where we live. Would be lovely to say bonjour 😎

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am indeed! I plan to arrive in Lectoure on September 26th. Would love to say hello, and perhaps share un cafe.

I am indeed! I plan to arrive in Lectoure on September 26th. Would love to say hello, and perhaps share un cafe.
Excellent. I’m pretty sure we will be here. I’ll put the date in my calendar 😎.

In fact we are planning to close our front door on 1 October and walk from Lectoure to SdeC. It will be 10 years since I last walked the Frances so I’m looking forward to that - and hoping by the time we get to SJPP it will. Ot be crowded . 🙏

Hi @Pelerina:

Le Puy - St Privat 24 km
We are starting Sept 4 from Le Puy after spending time in Lyon, which will set the bar high for this camino to match gastronomically. If you're posting every day, we will look for your comments.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
it rained the day before I did the descent into monistrol, but little or no rain on that day. it's a steep descent, go slowly. I did not have poles, but used trees for stability at times. the ascent was steep, but did not stress me like the descent did. I had a night's sleep between the two.

Hi, in fact the descent to the river leads to Monistrol-d'Allier.

Saint-Privat is on the top of a hill.
View attachment 152191

and Monistrol is on the river, after a bridge built by Gustave Eiffel

View attachment 152192

This being said, Le Puy - St-Privat is less strenuous, by far, than SJPdP-Roncesvalles, but is a significant stage. If you are not sure, having you first night in Montbonnet can be a good choice.

In fact, don't appraise the stages on the basis of km distance only.

Can be recommended :
1- Le Puy to Montbonnet 15 km
2 - Montbonnet to Monistrol 13,5 km
3 - Monistrol to Saugues 12 km (steep)

Of course you can walk faster and longer (and hopefully not get... a stress fracture as I did) :confused:
We did that and I was so pleased that we broke it into 3 days. I was so pleased to arrive in Montbonnet. Out Gite placed signs every km counting down the distance and it kept me going. There are some pretty long, steep, strenuous sections over those 3 days and they are also very beautiful so if you don’t need to rush then it is worth taking it a bit slower. Bon Chemin.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back