• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy via de Podiensis- sleeping bags and what type of wet weather gear?

Marina Millar

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017
Hello all! We are currently excitedly putting our plans together for our Le Puy to St Jean PDP Camino for march 2018. We have the bug! Having recently returned from the Camino Portuguese where we walked from Lisbon to Santiago, we found that we only used our sleeping bags once at a municipal Alburgue at the Spanish end. We were so well looked after In Portugal , all hostels provide beautifully curated beds with all linen, duvets etc. provided. We are keen to try all levels of accomodation in France, from their municipal dorms and basic level through to the Gites d'Etapes and hotels -b&bs. We do have very light sleeping bags, but every ounce counts! Or should we just bring sleeping liners? Also as we are West Aussies and not accustomed to a lot of rain as you might have in Euroclimes, could someone please enlighten us as to how equipped we need to be for the french springtime. Also can someone please recommend some geolocation apps that might help with our route. Thanks so much!!
---
TMA: Sun Aug 06 2017 20:28:41 GMT+0800 (AWST).jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
March can be cold on the Le Puy route. You can expect snow at higher elevations. A sleeping bag is probably a good idea, but I have used just a sleeping bag liner. April can be cold, but also very hot as spring moves toward summer and you approach Spain. In May it rained on 27 of 31 days one year! Call ahead; the French do, and they will be your competition for beds. One day is enough. It keeps you from having to walk around towns looking for a bed. You will be early enough that it probably will not be a problem, but hosts like to know someone is coming. They do not sit around waiting for pilgrims! Demi-pension is now about 33-35 Euro per night (bed, dinner, and breakfast). Bon chemin.

In addition to rain, May also offers three long holiday weekends for the French, who generally take the opportunity for hiking in groups. So check the calendar for May Day (May 1), V-E Day (May 8), and Pentecost/Whitsunday (moveable feast, holiday includes Monday). You may want to reserve a bit further in advance for those. In addition to increasing the number of walkers, these also impact the closing days for food markets and stores.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks so much! We will now definitely call ahead of our arrival. We will also keep those sleeping bags handy as well as some solidly warm clothing...(might have a go at the homefelted (in the ultrahot washing machine) men's wool jumper I read about on the forum last week! We have unsuccessfully walked in the Altus poncho ( winds whipped them all into knots just about , and mostly it looked as if it was always back to front...) so we just do the ultralight raincoat and pants. I'm thinking with that much rain being a possibility , maybe some gaiters might be the go too.... thanks again!

We have walked this route twice and not taken a sleeping bag. The first time we started in April. There was lots of rain and plenty of mud. I was very glad I wore boots so that the mud didn't seep in as it would have with shoes. We stayed mainly in gites that we booked ahead. They all had blankets, except in Le Sauvage. There was still snow on the ground in some places but it was warming up as we walked along. This is my favourite Camino. I love the landscape, food and French people. Enjoy

Hi Sharon
Last year I took a light sleeping bag but this year I'm taking only a linner. Are you sure about o blankets in Le Sauvage ? I'm going in september, it will be cold...
Thanks
Katia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Sharon
Last year I took a light sleeping bag but this year I'm taking only a linner. Are you sure about o blankets in Le Sauvage ? I'm going in september, it will be cold...
Thanks
Katia
Both times we were there, there were no blankets that I could see. Maybe you can ask for them. The first time was in April and the room was heated. The second time was at the end of August and even though a little cool, our sleeping bag liners were enough. We were lucky that the August/ September weather in 2015 was good for walking and was not overly hot. Have a wonderful time.

Thanks Sharon.
I'm counting the days... Le Puy (-24)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back