• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving SJPDP Oct 10th

j3Othon

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)(2018)
I am from just north of San Francisco California. We land in Barcelona, travel by train to Pamplona, and bus to SJPDP. This will be my second Camino, as I completed the final leg last year. This year I will be taking the Valcarlos route and stopping the first day at Roncesvalles. Anyone else?

My issue last year was blisters, even though I did all I could do to avoid them. I lost a toenail, and took 3-4 months to recover the feeling in about 5 toes. Took that long to start running and exercising again. I will limit my distance on a daily basis this time. Last time I was averaging 20 miles a day. That was a bit much. This time my longest trek will likely be SJPDP to Roncesvalles on Day 1.

See you out there...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Yes 20 miles a day is a bit much. I did it 3 days in a row, in temperatures in the mid-30s C a few years ago and it nearly killed me! I now stick to 15 miles/25 km a day.

Sounds as if your problem last year might have been caused by slightly too small footwear - could that be possible?

I used to get blisters, I now swear by 1000 mile socks - never had a blister since I started using them.

I am 67 years old and am pretty active, but I limit myself to 12 - 15 miles per day. Our first Camino we walk in 33 days. #2 45 days to stop and smell the roses. Next we will walk the Portuguese route and draw it out to 3 weeks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello j30thon from your neighbor in Sonoma County! I'm so envious... this is such a good time of the year to go! Everyone has their own methods, but I found that the bit of extra weight that it takes to carry a pair of walking sandals was so worth it. Every day I changed my socks and switched from my walking Merrills to my Kean sandals about 2/3 through my walk. Never had blisters. ¡Buen Camino, vecino!

I've changed my mind. I'm going the Napoleon Route, right over the top. Thanks for the support and advice.

Hello j30thon from your neighbor in Sonoma County! I'm so envious... this is such a good time of the year to go! Everyone has their own methods, but I found that the bit of extra weight that it takes to carry a pair of walking sandals was so worth it. Every day I changed my socks and switched from my walking Merrills to my Kean sandals about 2/3 through my walk. Never had blisters. ¡Buen Camino, vecino!
I'm going to carry extra shoes as you suggested. Thank you.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Yes 20 miles a day is a bit much. I did it 3 days in a row, in temperatures in the mid-30s C a few years ago and it nearly killed me! I now stick to 15 miles/25 km a day.

Sounds as if your problem last year might have been caused by slightly too small footwear - could that be possible?

I used to get blisters, I now swear by 1000 mile socks - never had a blister since I started using them.
I bought some REI socks that are 'guaranteed' to prevent blisters. We shall see. I want to try the 1000 mile socks you suggested. Thanks for the advice.

I've changed my mind. I'm going the Napoleon Route, right over the top. Thanks for the support and advice.
Good for you! I have walked the Napoleon at ages 63 and 64, only moderately fit, and I'd do it again tomorrow. Here's hoping you get good weather. And good luck with the socks.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back