• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving SJPP on May 20!

Ashley D

Time of past OR future Camino
Leaving for my first Camino (camino frances) in May 2014
Hello all,
I'll be flying into Paris on the 19th and take the TVG train to SJPP on the 20th, planning to start walking on the 21st. Does anyone have similar plans?!

I also found that its forecasted to be raining. I love the rain, but have heard a lot about safety in bad weather in the Pyrenees. Should I let the rain dissuade me from crossing?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Ashley

I have exactly the same plans, arriving in SJPdP on May 20th and start walking on the 21st. I'm thinking of getting to Roncesvalles instead and start walking from there to avoid the Pyrenees. Maybe I'll see you down there :)

Ashley and MissLine,

Welcome to the Forum!

Before you make your final decision in SJPdP on the spot ALWAYS ask for latest weather reports and advice from the volunteers at the welcoming Pilgrim Office, of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques, 39 rue de La Citadelle.

Margaret Meredith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I started my two Walks in Pamplona. I was under conditioned, but did fine as I took my time. I was surprised that many coming into Pamplona were already injured from crossing the Pyrenees. Some were very strong hikers. I would let my condition be your guide regardless of the weather. It isn't a race and I think those I listened to who had been injured were pushing too hard. Not an area to take lightly. Steady and sure does the trick.

We are getting over jet lag in Paris and will catch the train to SJPDP tomorrow to start walking on the 16th May - out plan is simple we will walk to our condition and enjoy what we do - even though right now I am suffering from cramps - nothing a good walk won't fix - to all a Buen Camino

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

I'm a retired Flight Attendant and for some reason quinine works for the cramps esp in the legs. Many drink Gin and tonics, but I never did so I just order the Tonic on ice as it is the source of the Quinine. Good luck and enjoy! I also took the train from Paris as at the time I was with Northwest and they didn't fly into Spain. (2008) The second time (2012) we had merged with Delta and so flew into Barcelona. I took the train to Iruna from Paris. Have fun!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello all,
I'll be flying into Paris on the 19th and take the TVG train to SJPP on the 20th, planning to start walking on the 21st. Does anyone have similar plans?!

I also found that its forecasted to be raining. I love the rain, but have heard a lot about safety in bad weather in the Pyrenees. Should I let the rain dissuade me from crossing?

NO, rain wont stop you, but snow can, go anyway, take your chances, we travelled at that time last year, we crossed with a magnificent 20C day, it snowed 2 days later and was closed. Follow the guideance of the volunteers in the Pilgrim Office,

Buen Camino

Andy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello all,

The rains should not dissuade you. The only caution is to be aware of hypothermia due to cooling from being wet and low energy levels at the end of the day. Bring adequate rain gear and energy snacks. If you are in risk zone (wet and tired in temperatures below 10C) then don't stop for long breaks.

Hello all,

hey I think that's when I am starting ,Im looking to walk with someone until Pamplona , you interested ?

Ashley started this thread in May, 2014. She's walked already, I assume. :)
lol you are right , I just got on this site today , not sure how it all works yet !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
lol you are right , I just got on this site today , not sure how it all works yet !
F
AngieT, my husband and I are walking May 15. We leave from Alberta May 12th and plan to rest in SJPDP may 14 and start Walking May 15th. Maybe we will meet up.

Hello all,

We will be starting a couple of days before you, but Im sure our paths with cross. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.