• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Left Paris on 30th March 2022

futurefjp

Camino enthusiast.
Time of past OR future Camino
Pélerins,

It is my intention to stay on the 29th at Ephrem and I was wondering if anyone is heading through Paris or starting from Paris on the 30th March to buddy up along the way?

Also I'm am still not sure which route out of Paris I am going on and will probably decide on the 29th depending on who is about in Paris then?

Ultreïa.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Only one more sleep to go until I climb on board flight FR 3579 from Leeds Bradford to Paris Beauvais @ 13:35, arriving at 15:55.

First night at Ephrem, a bit nervous about going to Paris as its the first large city I've visited since COVID.
Second night at Abbeye Saint- Louis du Temple Limon.
Not 100% fit at the moment - issues with my right eye and left foot, but will do what I am capable...might be forced to shorten the first day walking out of Paris(too much pavement)!
Age related wear and tear - passing 50 in February(groan).

futurefjp,
You must be very excited as soon you will be on your way. Do watch the weather reports for all of France will have a cold spell begining this Thursday for the next 5 days or so. Bring some layers to keep you warm plus perhaps a knitted cap.
Stay safe and Bon voyage

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
futurefjp,
You must be very excited as soon you will be on your way. Do watch the weather reports for all of France will have a cold spell begining this Thursday for the next 5 days or so. Bring some layers to keep you warm plus perhaps a knitted cap.
Stay safe and Bon voyage
I saw. In the morning I will head back to my flat, from my mum's, to pick up a few thermals!!! There was I thinking it was Spring!!!

Yesterday was splendid here in champagne facing the Marne river. Today we are back in our woolies
Twas ever thus. I am looking forward to reading more of your posts as you journey across France in the coming weeks.
Carpe diem.

I've so many aches and pains... Ingrowing toenail and a septic finger. Sore knees and knuckles. And the excruciating pain on the ball of my foot. Ibuprofen at the ready I feel... Antibiotics would be helpful!

Getting to 50 and all the shutters are closing on half day... Give me back youth. Or would that help? Being youthful is healthy, but far too manic.

I am 50 and I've got an allotment... Have I moved into the 5th age of man after the tumultuous 4th, where I was in a spinning frenzy.

Last time I was in Paris, 2016, I didn't care if I lived or died (I was hoping for death to take me). So I was running around looking everywhere for a cheap bed, eventually the Bishop/Priest at Saint Severin allowed me to sleep in the crypt with the homeless.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked up to the allotment, before heading to Deerstone Ridge for the 7:30am, to see that all the stuff I put in on Sunday are bedded in.

The weather has changed: cooler and full covering of dull! So hopefully the potatoes will be fine, being fairly deeply deployed, once the cold snap pours in from the North in a few days?

But what can I do? I am not King Canute to turn back the weather. Whatever the weather it will occur whether I am in Wetherby or the Loire Valley? If I place my feet one step infront of the other that is all I can control?

Sober evening, broken by a couple of toilet breaks, mum was up to see me off; fretting as a seaside mist does gathering all around me. Whittering. She's worried for me and my safety in France, on The Way... It's her way: the BBC and being sat all day makes her afraid - hopefully soon her new knee will give her back some freedom?

Managed to reset all my credit cards yesterday and this morning(for emergencies) and washed all my clothes ahead of the big smell. But I definitely need to put some thermals dans le sac so back to 69 for a brief change of what I take with me on this Lenten Pilgrimage.

There is a fine rain falling now as I wait for the X98 to begin the long process of being in place for Chemin Saint Jacques this evening... Should I stay two nights in Paris?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

I've got an infection in one of my fingers I should probably get looked at tomorrow. Any advice where to go after I leave Tour Saint Jacques and before Saint Louis du Temple de Limon?

futurefjp,
For your infection it may be simpler to have it treated in Beauvais. Ask when you arrive. If you are in Paris now either ask at Ephrem or go to the emergency room of any hospital. However it might be easiest to wait until Saint Louis du Temple de Limon. Their web describes a very sympathetic/ helpful group of nuns.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've got an infection in one of my fingers I should probably get looked at tomorrow. Any advice where to go after I leave Tour Saint Jacques and before Saint Louis du Temple de Limon?

futurefjp,
For your infection it may be simpler to have it treated in Beauvais. Ask when you arrive. If you are in Paris now either ask at Ephrem or go to the emergency room of any hospital. However it might be easiest to wait until Saint Louis du Temple de Limon. Their web describes a very sympathetic/ helpful group of nuns.
I am going to wait on the infection until I reach a place to have a rest day...

Tomorrow I am unsure what the Etape is for the direction towards Chartres. Miam Miam Dodo has only Chambre D'hôtes...

Please advise me where I am staying after Saint Louis du Temple de Limon...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Perhaps these will help.
Monastery of the Orantes in Bonneuil, 23 km from Igny on the route to Chartres provides pilgrim accommodation. Here is their web with contact info for an email. http://www.spiritualite2000.com/monasteres/monastere-des-orantes-de-lassomption/
You can write them in English for a reservation and provide a Google translation.
In Epernon see
www.prieure-saint-thomas.fr

From Epernon it is 26 km to Chartres. For more French info on this section of the walk in the Eure et Loir department see
www.compostelle28.org/index.php?version=computer

Happy planning!

Last edited:
Use this also while you are near Paris

For future planning scan the threads in the section Routes in France re: The Tours Route

Last edited:
Perhaps these will help.
Monastery of the Orantes in Bonneuil, 23 km from Igny on the route to Chartres provides pilgrim accommodation. Here is their web with contact info for an email. http://www.spiritualite2000.com/monasteres/monastere-des-orantes-de-lassomption/
You can write them in English for a reservation and provide a Google translation.
In Epernon see
www.prieure-saint-thomas.fr

From Epernon it is 26 km to Chartres. For more French info on this section of the walk in the Eure et Loir department see
www.compostelle28.org/index.php?version=computer

Happy planning!
I think I might have just got lucky by calling the Accueil Pelerin in Paris as there is a family nearby Dampierre willing to let me stay.

The weather looks fowl for a couple more days so I need a few bits of luck...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think I might have just got lucky by calling the Accueil Pelerin in Paris as there is a family nearby Dampierre willing to let me stay.

The weather looks fowl for a couple more days so I need a few bits of luck...
Lucky you. Stay dry and warm. This weekend will be difficult weatherwise. Here in champagne all the vintners are very nervous re the forecast freeze.
Take care.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
futurefjp,
Thank goodness for that handrail! What woods/forest is that?
Have a good day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So I am starting to suffer with the infection in my right index finger. Most of the day I hadn't paid it much attention, but now, as I have time to reposé - after a longish day - 27 kilometres - and after a warm soapy shower, there is a more noticeable pain. Tomorrow I probably should go to Urgencies at the Hospital in Chartres and await my turn to get a prescription...

The family I am staying with, retirees, have never taken in a pilgrim, but they usually have refugees and asylum seekers for up to a month at a time. Lovely cup of tea and noisette sablés and I can hear them chopping vegetables. It's been some time - years - since I last got welcomed by a family and I am very grateful. Tomorrow I should walk from here to rejoin the way in Rambouillet to decide what I should do about the infection: there is a hospital in Chartres and perhaps I must go there and have a day off on Saturday? Two nights in Chartres... Or stick to the original plan and see what can be done in Orléans?

My hosts will drop me in the morning at the Hospital in Rambouillet to get the infection dealt with. But I think that waiting to be seen will kill off Friday's walking so I may be required to bus, train, hitchhike to Epernon or Chartres. The hospital might prioritise me being a pilgrim?

I haven't stayed with a Compostelle family since around Saint Quentin, I think...

Having looked it up it was 2018 when I walked from Ghent to Saint Quentin, then met Glenn in Reims the day after - where I attacked him with a baguette coming out of the gare: I was drunk because he was exceedingly late.

Marie-Thérèse and Jean-Marc have been very kind allowing me to stay here today. As their first pilgrim I feel it is a shame I am English because I know they would be wonderful towards native French speakers. It's so long since I had this option - in Spain and Portugal it is forever Albergue/Refugio.

So I am starting to suffer with the infection in my right index finger. Most of the day I hadn't paid it much attention, but now, as I have time to reposé - after a longish day - 27 kilometres - and after a warm soapy shower, there is a more noticeable pain. Tomorrow I probably should go to Urgencies at the Hospital in Chartres and await my turn to get a prescription...

The family I am staying with, retirees, have never taken in a pilgrim, but they usually have refugees and asylum seekers for up to a month at a time. Lovely cup of tea and noisette sablés and I can hear them chopping vegetables. It's been some time - years - since I last got welcomed by a family and I am very grateful. Tomorrow I should walk from here to rejoin the way in Rambouillet to decide what I should do about the infection: there is a hospital in Chartres and perhaps I must go there and have a day off on Saturday? Two nights in Chartres... Or stick to the original plan and see what can be done in Orléans?

My hosts will drop me in the morning at the Hospital in Rambouillet to get the infection dealt with. But I think that waiting to be seen will kill off Friday's walking so I may be required to bus, train, hitchhike to Epernon or Chartres. The hospital might prioritise me being a pilgrim?

I haven't stayed with a Compostelle family since around Saint Quentin, I think...

Having looked it up it was 2018 when I walked from Ghent to Saint Quentin, then met Glenn in Reims the day after - where I attacked him with a baguette coming out of the gare: I was drunk because he was exceedingly late.

Marie-Thérèse and Jean-Marc have been very kind allowing me to stay here today. As their first pilgrim I feel it is a shame I am English because I know they would be wonderful towards native French speakers. It's so long since I had this option - in Spain and Portugal it is forever Albergue/Refugio.
I am a nurse. Do get the finger looked at. You don't want a finger to the reason you need to stop a Camino rather than feet or a knee.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How is the snow where you are? It is cold here along the Marne. Tonight will be colder however. Take care

How is the snow where you are? It is cold here along the Marne. Tonight will be colder however. Take care
It snowed most of yesterday, but it wasn't settling. I've dug out my woollen hat for this morning. I love crisp sunny cold walking... As long as I am wrapped up tight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yermenonville: perfect to stop around a quarter past nine for an elevensies- scrambled eggs, butter and bread, and another coffee (€5.50) before the next 3rd of the way today. At around 30 kilometres at around 20 I will stop for repase near L'Eure. Then it's down the valley towards Chartres, again. Last time was around 8 years ago when I had more hair and more weight, but less sanity. I've connected with the same fellow in Mainvilliers from then. Perhaps I stop in Chartres this evening and further discuss the beer festivals around Chartres and Sours?

PXL_20220402_074534756.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Since you will be near Chartres have you ever seen La Maison de Picassiette ?
It offers a bit of almost comic relief after all the splendor within the cathedral; read/see more of the cathedral here.

Last edited:
It looks like my plan of stopping around 20 Kms was premature as there was zero revitallement in the village (La Villete Saint Prest) next to L'Eure. So I continue another 7 kilometres? At least I ate well last night, at breakfast and had the egg, bread and butter in Yermenonville. Now I walk gingerly by the side of the railway tracks to see if anything is up ahead?

Last turn and there is a Troll on the crossing of the bridge below Chartres Cathedral... Let him pass while I get robbed at Le Serpente instead. 30 kilometres to the stage set below the Cathedral, pandering to it's whims.

Last edited:
Because there was no chance of a coach/bus until 1800 this evening from Chartres to Orléans I decided better to get a lift with BlaBlaCar from 11am to get me there around noon. I've written to the representative of the local Amis Saint Jacques in Orléans, Compostelle 45, to see if I can stay on Sunday night in the Halte Jacquaire before I set off again Monday through to Saturday when I must head for Limoges and one nights accommodation there, before returning to the UK.

The Presidential Election here in France, from the 10th, has put me off walking that week from the 11th and it's Palm Sunday on the 10th so it would be a sensible time to return for Easter Week to the UK - and dog sitting duties afterwards.

The price of flights after the 10th skyrockets because that is during the main week/2 weeks of schools Easter holidays which suggests it is sensible not to be caught paying €150 for a €12.99 flight...

10 days on The Way is better for my mental health than zero days.

Yesterday I had a few local beers in a couple of locations around the centre. After a saucisson sec, fromage and pan I needed sleep so badly no amount of beer could tempt me to stay, and it's €6 a bottle for even local stuff.

I didn't hear from the person I'd stayed with previously - perhaps once was enough for him? So I stayed in the Hôstellerie Saint Yves (€28 B&B - prix pelerin €15 for a bed). Had a long hot shower and slept well, considering there was some noise from another room - the fan in the bathroom - regularly. Awoke at 4 and rolled over until 6.

And I forgot about people. This is the first place where I've had breakfast with others around me and I am struggling. The girl serving is nice, the American couple weren't - he smelled damp (it's an ex-monastery and is going to be a bit damp) and they just couldn't wait to get inside and compare and contrast with how things are at home. Give me just me, alone, on the way again tomorrow. It's all good. Let them pass: they had no idea where they were.

Spoiler alert: COVID is over and North Americans are back in Europe... Of course it gets as cold in the UK as it does in Northern France

Thanks for your update. Hope that the week to come is a good one for you. At least today here in France it may be cold but the sky is cobalt blue and the sun is shining. Carpe diem.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Will you get as far as Poitiers ?

Word for the day: Misnomer, one of my favourite 'a misapplied or inappropriate name or designation'.

L'Agylien for a wonderful scrambled eggs(slowly Bain Marie'd) potatoes and salad were fit for a king(€7 Prix pour Pèlerin)!

After 3 hours I wanted to stopped for a little time in Saint Ay, as my left foot is a little tender this morning... Walking in Orléans didn't help and 15 kilometres in 3 hours is a killer. Following the right bank of La Loire. It's all good! But maybe I do stop early today as I've a place 5kms up the road La Ruche - €15.

The humming of insects... It's something quite surreal. I had a similar experience walking from Geneva. The sound, collectively, added together can be quite overwhelming. France equals fecundity.

Luckily I ate well this morning as Meung sur la Loire is closed to me except more awful 7/7 jours pizza. So I'm heading back to La Ruche and a quick look into the Portuguese establishment. Quick beer in a Presse, Bar, Tabac, PMU. The first refreshment in these places where everything you could possibly 'not' need is concentrated in one room...

Fantastically satisfying buffet, of the Portuguese variety, at the establishment at the crossroads:. L'Ovale de Loire. Two beers to wash down two chicken legs, a pork stew, potatoes, rice, lettuce and a lovely red cabbage salad all for only €15(complementary Piri Piri sauce) I thought, it being Portuguese, I'd bump into the pair of Pilgrims from last night, but no so perhaps they were here at lunch or didn't know it existed? L'Ovale de Loire reopens this evening for more of the same... Beggars can't be choosers, particularly, and what they fed me was hearty and nutritious, so I may return.

Tomorrow I don't want to plan where I stay because the forecast is for rain. Warmer but raining. The host of this gîtes informs me the supermarche Fresh opens at 7:30am en face of La Ruche.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looking back towards Orléans, before I leave le Chemin

Attachments

• PXL_20220404_095352518.jpg
    PXL_20220404_095352518.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have you a bed on Friday night... Hopefully I will get to Poitiers then?
Ah. I have a spare room but my son will be staying. I'm sorry, I was thinking more of problem solving rather than accommodation. But if you are stuck I'm sure I can find a mattress or you could sleep in my camper van. Are you continuing beyond Poitiers?

Ah. I have a spare room but my son will be staying. I'm sorry, I was thinking more of problem solving rather than accommodation. But if you are stuck I'm sure I can find a mattress or you could sleep in my camper van. Are you continuing beyond Poitiers?
No. After Poitiers I have to get to Limoges on Saturday as I fly back to the UK on 10th(Palm Sunday) for Easter week surrounded by those I love. Lola, a Vizsla, and my family, obviously. I probably need to get the finger looked at again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Monday's can seem a bit like non-days in France, when everything is closed: patisserie, boulangerie, restaurant, etc, so I decided I won't bother tonight with anymore food. The repase at 3 was adequate for this day, on top of the large brunch in Saint Ay.

In the morning I must decide whether to catch the bus forward a little, so I could possibly reach Blois, and stay at the Auberge du Jeunesse, in two days. Perhaps reaching Tour by Wednesday is a little far fetched? Unless I walk, then catch a bus forward, but tomorrow, having just walked up to the Bridge in Meung sur- Loire, I don't really want to walk 2.8kms before actually another 6 to reach where I probably should've been today?
Beaugency would be the ideal start tomorrow. The lady at the Halte Jacquaire was helpful finding me this place, but it is just slightly too prior the ideal location for Tuesday.

Why am I rushing to get to Tour? I've already been there in 2014. Perhaps I reach Amboise then skip from it to Châtellerault to get to Poitier in time to catch a train, BlaBlaCar or bus to Limoges on Saturday?

This is the longest I've been separated from Lola, a Vizsla, for ages: at least since COVID was sprung on us, and I'm beginning to wish she was by my side. Seeing a puppy down by the riverside in Meung sur-Loire made me a bit tearful...

It's all a bit rushed. Sorry forum...

Campervan sounds excellent

In one day? 40kms. Let me consider 35kms once I have breakfast in Beaugency...

Attachments

• PXL_20220405_055124276.jpg
    PXL_20220405_055124276.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
Tuesday is all about walking? My previous suggestion that I may catch the bus to Beaugency didn't amount to anything. A brief coffee and croissant at the boulangerie opposite La Ruche then another café allongé at the Bar Tabac on the crossroads in Meung sur-Loire then I continued alongside the La Mauve de Saint Ay until I reached back on the Loire, mistaking it for a lake! Arriving a bit weary in Beaugency ready to stop, but as the breakfast options were none, I bought two apples(canada variety) and two large quiche aux legumes in the centre, before heading for another coffee and water to wash down penicillin. Setting off again around 9:30 it seems I am passing a Nuclear power station, on the left bank, before I too cross over to that side.

Eaten the rations and hope they keep me moving two more hours? I would like to rest properly before I attempt Blois on these feet!

Last edited:
Fifteen minutes before noon and I couldn't walk another inch! But then I just found a formule du midi - repase - €13.80 for entrée, plat and dessert, vin and café inclusif! B'art Gourmet, Avaray! Phew - four and a half hours 22 kilometres! I am ionising opposite the reactors! And it's not mentioned in the Miam Miam Dodo...why am I carrying it? Toilet paper...

Attachments

• PXL_20220405_093153277.jpg
    PXL_20220405_093153277.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20220405_090719949.jpg
    PXL_20220405_090719949.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 14
Extremely bug-ger-ed(tired beyond the word tired). Had to hitch after the last stretch along the Loire between Muides-sur-Loire and Saint Dyé-sur-Loire. Much better visually on the left bank: the right bank was long and straight along the top of the levee. The left bank had those last two leafy tumbling pathways. Unrinating on this side was much better! I wasn't staring at a nuclear power plant while irradiating out the copious water I'd drunk during repase. Thirty five kilometres this day. Never with a spring in my step. Unlike from Orléans: La Ruche was just too remote. But I didn't catch a bus or train and the second car to pass me by stopped: a small Renault, with a guy off to play football after work: good man, auto-stop. No English spoken so we used Google Translate like a Babbelfish... Perhaps something like a universal translator is around the corner?

Attachments

• PXL_20220405_141738224.jpg
    PXL_20220405_141738224.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Yes, I will depart at 7:30, regardless of whether the host (23 Rue des Trois Marchands, donativo) is here to say goodbye. They were a little surprised I would be gone prior to 9. But I prefer the dawn for walking; Michel would like to get a mugshot of me with my rucksack.

Thoroughly packed. Had a long refreshing shower last evening: first since Chartres... Everyday isn't necessary really, but I know some folks can't do without it?

Primarily I would like to look around Blois a little this morning before to my route takes me west. And the host Michel has arranged for me to sleep in a farm surrounded by sheep - Amma ferme du Plessis. He says stick to the south way. Perhaps that's what he was saying? But I don't know as after he began speaking a little English he then dropped into rapid French where I understand half the content and had no words but comprendre or je ne comprends pas to reply.

The news! It's obsessed with just one thing! Well, currently two things, the elections beginning Sunday and the Guerre Ukraine. I try not to look, but it's almost impossible to escape in a Bar Tabac the indoctrination of people via every possible means at their disposal, especially if it's Presse too? After a quick 30 minutes around the historic core of Blois and I'm heading West again. Bar Tabac why do I let this meaningless place get to my inner calm reality? Let it pass: all will pass. Leaving under a river crossing where the cars are bumper to bumper, not going anywhere, but I am?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It has just poured down on me, in a Westerly gale, since I left the security of Ferme le Plessis at 7:30... Got to Amboise at 12.

Possibly the rain which broke the pilgrims back? One more day to Tours? I don't know!

Attachments

• PXL_20220407_045213336.jpg
    PXL_20220407_045213336.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It has just poured down on me, in a Westerly gale, since I left the security of Ferme le Plessis at 7:30... Got to Amboise at 12.

Possibly the rain which broke the pilgrims back? One more day to Tours? I don't know!
If you do get to Tours, the nuns at the basilica St Martin have a place for you to stay, and they will feed you. Donativo.

If you do get to Tours, the nuns at the basilica St Martin have a place for you to stay, and they will feed you. Donativo

You are welcome to stay any time you are on the Tours route. For now, it's an easy train journey Tours to Limoges.

You are welcome to stay any time you are on the Tours route. For now, it's an easy train journey Tours to Limoges.
I tried to contact the Franciscans in Limoges. First I got the ones in Assisi and second they didn't reply...

Thanks for your update. I'm glad that you went to the right place. Where will you be tonight? Take care and try to stay dry. Here in Champagne it is pouring rain.

Thanks for your update. I'm glad that you went to the right place. Where will you be tonight? Take care and try to stay dry. Here in Champagne it is pouring rain.
I stopped at Café Des Arts...and I can't move - my body won't go anywhere!

Today was so challenging. If this Chemin hasn't already tipped me beyond rescue today surely has? From 7:30am it was rain, heavy or persistent, you take your measure?

This morning I left the farm house, a 15th century Grange or Manor which was, apparently, dedicated to Saint Tobias? However I might be completely wrong about the name of the saint - at that point I lost the host... it was very ancient, the wooden interior spoke centuries.

Turned left, after the out buildings, and through an ancient forest - where I heard a barking in the near distance, but it wasn't a wolf, a fox or a dog: stood opposing me was a huge stag. As I stood and faced, he faced and stood then, as I moved, he barked and a whole troop fled away from the cleft between us.

At an acute angle, before the deluge, I was turned by the GR/Chemin Saint Jacques back on myself. For a little while I considered its 'touristic' twists and turns, but then decided it was impossible and followed the velo route instead.

When I stopped for a coffee and croissant in Mosnes I knew I was dampening, but this was 13 Kms before I could stumble into Amboise and it's souvenir nonsense, below the Castle; I've never heard of Amboise before...

Last night there were some breaks in the dark clouds. Overnight the storm grew, throwing some brooms against my door in the night(like a clatter of bones) and this morning it is directly at my forehead, coming off the Atlantic and up the Val de Loire, I am unlikely to move beyond Café Des Arts, Amboise.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This morning I have to build up to the good stuff again. After too many beers yesterday afternoon I didn't sleep so well: it's the first time since I left the UK I've turned to alcohol... Perhaps it was always going to happen on a day like yesterday, and with a goal: Tours, very near and the clouds above pounding on my sorry head?

This morning is forecast rain once more and I'd seen that yesterday too so was wondering about what I'd do Friday, after arriving drenched, in Amboise? But the wind seems to have abaited and I can hear the pleasant song of the morning chorus...

Just one more day on the road. The goal is before me, but first sort out what I am wearing and perhaps leave a little later this morning? I didn't really look around Amboise as I was just staring into an emptying glass most of the time?

Stepping out at 7:30 and heading for petit déjeuner on the corner after the Tour l' Horloge, the rain isn't as bewildering as it was yesterday...it's got all the time in the world to get there!

Approaching Tours...

As I walk along La Loire for the final few kilometres it seems the weather is changing: it's still raining, and windy, but the sun is putting in an appearance between clouds. Just as I reach the end of this 'pilgrimage': a pause for another time as tomorrow I am hopping into another BlaBla car to Limoges, then au revoir France and hello Yorkshire (with all its personal hazards).

Ten days in some pretty awful weather, and carrying too much stuff, but I must've covered around 300 kilometres between Paris and Tours? Today is another 30 clicks day. At noon I had an Artisanale hamburger in Montlouis-sur-Loire which was enough and got me out of the torrential downpour I had had since 8 leaving Amboise...

On my right a mini golf course, after coming down from the top of the escapement where Vouvray AOC grows, it's another couple of bridges before Pont Wilson: which I crossed before on foot - although I am not sure I walked the section I am on in 2014? Last time I think I caught a bus just prior to Vouvray and got off on the right bank: the weather may have been bad back then too being only March - when I was eager to be on the Chemin after 2013 initial discovery and Compostelle.

Attachments

• PXL_20220408_121252417.jpg
    PXL_20220408_121252417.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
futurefjp,
Pouring rain on the Marne river most of today. Where will you stop in Tours? After Limoges tomorrow you go where to fly home? Wherever you may be I wish you the best.

futurefjp,
Pouring rain on the Marne river most of today. Where will you stop in Tours? After Limoges tomorrow you go where to fly home? Wherever you may be I wish you the best.
I've got to the Saint Martin Basilica this evening, however I might not have a key to get back in to the Guesthouse...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rarely have I been so exhausted from anything. Yesterday, and the previous 9 days, walking like a fool, 30 kilometres a day, I couldn't keep from yawning. After I had had some food: a savoury humus tartine with roasted veg, etc., and a Petrus Red, my legs carried me through the Basilique, into the guesthouse and back up the 3 floors. Where I washed some smalls, and crawled into bed. Woken by several voices in the night, people leaving their various occasions, I rolled over and woke with a start at 6:30...

... Such a relief to be knowing I did what I did regardless without much more than a finger infection; which appears to have vanished - abracadabra. Penicillin and healthy being? My mind isn't so tangled today as it might've been. Oh but I lost a book - I left it as I paid for the meal... Cakes and Ale, Penguin Orange, 1950, Somerset Maugham.

Blue sky this morning. Yup. It's over and the weather changed!!!

If I had zero responsibilities in Yorkshire, and a limitless amount of monies, then this would be my life: on the road, forever, no fixed abode. It must be the final section of my mortality. Wetherby is always at the end of the route and it's a little narrow of focus for me. During my illness it has kept me alive, but slowly it is draining me of desire. Luckily another opening for me is up ahead. As I have said to myself since 1st January - this year will be the last (or the last one like the past 10 years)!

50 years to realise I am a lucky man. Serendipity is the means by which life unfolds. To be true take the suggestions presented. I tried very hard to find a place to stay for under €40 in Limoges, but there is some event on here until Sunday: so the place is complet and I was wondering if I could sleep at the airport this evening? I've done it before: but I slept on the floor better then... now I hardly sleep without some cushioning.

Having left the Tourisme with no where: no place for pilgrim or place for tourist, I was stranded in Limoges. Second bite of the city since 2018 and it was playing against me again. Last time the Sœurs Franciscan was full and this time closed because they have no electricity: that's mendicant pour vous!

Up to Les Halles, just as it was closing at 3pm, and I saw Greenville... and the rest would appear to be history. I've got to walk to Rue de Strasbourg, 39, and the proprietor (Richard/Ricard) of Greenville is willing, even with his GF arriving around 8pm, to stay in his son's (who is absent) room.

I got the final 'green' box, a ginger beer, yaort and a blonde beer and he sends me with love to La Locale until I must present myself at his abode. It gives me another 30mins-ish...

The end of another Chemin Saint Jacques...

A French play on words: Viennent - comes from - is also the river: Vienne... Where things come from? Yes a river. All of France is defined by the main rivers. Where the UK is defined by county towns, in a lot of cases, here in France it's defined by the river, sea or ocean...

Now ahead of me is a walk to the airport, as there are no buses to the airport on Sunday. My host last night suggested he give me a lift, but the airport is only 7 kilometres away and the sky is cobolt blue this Dimanche... Oh and I'm in Limoges so there are mosquitoes about: the Southern French dilemma: Asiatic Tiger - accept and take antihistamines!

futurefjp,

I trust that by now you are at the airport and perhaps up and away. Thanks for all your updates and thoughts.

May we all go forward with hope.

Wherever you may be Carpe diem!

Last edited:
Reflecting back, a day later, now I am back in Leeds, that it was a wonderful 10 days on The Way. The weather was challenging, but that's a Camino? I'll be back in September to continue from Figueira da Foz... Well I say that, but have no responsibilities in May...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back