• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Let's run the Camino from SJPP to Santiago

Rodos

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning to do the Camino on May-June 2015
Hey guys,

First at all, I'm glad to have found this forum. It's amazing all the information that a newbie can find through.

I´m planning to run the Camino de Santiago in 21 days. I'm well aware that would be like running a marathon a day. I know the Camino is not a Marathon route but sidewalks in the streets, gravel roads, uphill trails, downhill rocks, narrow paths. There will be places where I would like to take some time off. However I want to try it, I need to do it.

I'm working out in order to get ready for this challenge. However I was wandering if there is any runner "in the room" who could give me some advice whatsoever. Even you if you already have accomplished sucha' adventure -walking-, I would be more than happy to hear your experience.

Thanks in advance,
Rodos

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Why doesn't Red Bull sponsor the Camino then there could be races every week to see who can do it the fastest. I thought that the Camino was a pilgrimage not a race to see who can brag about doing it the quickest.

Why doesn't Red Bull sponsor the Camino then there could be races every week to see who can do it the fastest. I thought that the Camino was a pilgrimage not a race to see who can brag about doing it the quickest.
Rodos writes about running, not about a race or doing it the quickest. What is it that makes you connect these words? Why do you put running against pilgrimage?

In 2013 I did camino madrid-salvador-primitivo as a part time runner. About an hour a day I was running, the rest I walked. I enjoyed it so much. It gave me an extra feeling of freedom like a child running through and discovering the world. It gave me a deeper way to connect.
I was happy that I did such a quit camino. I know that there is a big resentment against people who just like running instead of walking. My advice; feel free to do your camino, like everyone else is doing too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey guys,

First at all, I'm glad to have found this forum. It's amazing all the information that a newbie can find through.

I´m planning to run the Camino de Santiago in 21 days. I'm well aware that would be like running a marathon a day. I know the Camino is not a Marathon route but sidewalks in the streets, gravel roads, uphill trails, downhill rocks, narrow paths. There will be places where I would like to take some time off. However I want to try it, I need to do it.

I'm working out in order to get ready for this challenge. However I was wandering if there is any runner "in the room" who could give me some advice whatsoever. Even you if you already have accomplished sucha' adventure -walking-, I would be more than happy to hear your experience.

Thanks in advance,
Rodos
I wish I had done this when I was a long distance runner. What wonderful land to be covered.
It wouldn't replace the treking that I loved so much , but sure do think a long distance runner could really enjoy running thru Northern Spain , (could be worse right?)...
Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Lots of people run it. They send their luggage ahead by bag transfer.
I don't get it, but wth.
Maybe JW should add a category on the Compostela questionnaire in Santiago, did you arrive by foot, bike or running it as a marathon. I guess to someone addicted to running that would also be a religious reason:D!
IMO, the Camino certainly loses it meaning reading this thread, n'est pas?
This from another pilgrims who carries the tattoo of the shell and the Templar Cross on his ankle like 7 wood.

SJPDP in 21 days isn't running the whole distance (you can walk it in 21 days) but only sections as Rodos says. They let people ride bicycles and even horses on the Camino so why not?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think its cool! As a runner, i have thought about a compromise, one day running, one day walking ect...
I do have to say, i am glad that i walked my first camino. Because of that experience i am not sure i would ever run it, but never say never.

I hope you make it. Good luck!!!

Nothing wrong with running the Camino. If that gives a person enjoyment, what the heck. I don't think it detracts from the experience, because for that particular person, it is the experience.
So put away the hair-shirts, the self scourging flail and heavy piece of timber to drag.......:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
*There's a little emotion in this post relating to some of the above, as well as a general attitude that I've experienced on the Camino and from others in this forum. I didn't quite mean for it to come off so strongly. I had intended to write something along the lines of "hey, I'm running too! We should chat."

Running the Camino isn't for everyone. Just as walking the Camino, biking the Camino, or taking the Camino on horseback isn't for everyone. Everyone has their own journey/pilgrimage to take, and way to take it. And that's okay.

I did my first Camino two years ago and I didn't do it The Traditional Way. I didn't plan it that way. I showed up in SJPP, no guidebook (just a map on my iPad), and I started walking. I didn't form a Camino family, I didn't follow the set stages, and I ended up walking it in about 21 days. It was an amazing experience full of meditation, quiet self-refection, marveling at the landscape, dance parties in the alburgues, learning other people's stories, going to church, reading, relaxing in the sun, welcoming the sunrise everyday on the road, eating great food, cooking for others, sharing a bottle or three of wine with folks. It was amazing and everyday I had at least one person tell me that I was doing the Camino wrong. But their way wasn't right for me, and my way wasn't right for them. Cada loco con su tema.

I'll be doing my second, starting in a month, and I'll be running. From SJPP to Santiago. If I have an extra day, I might run to Finesterre, I might not. Shrug. I'm not doing the Camino for speed, or to brag, or to write a blog about it. Not to knock anyone who wants to do that. I am doing my second Camino in the way that I need/want to do the Camino and that way is not for everyone.

We who plan to, are doing, or have done the Camino are a privileged group. It's not inexpensive to complete. Never mind the actual monetary cost of food, shelter, travel, supplies. There are physical, emotional, social, professional, and spiritual challenges before, during, and after that make it bloody hard. So let's have the same amount of respect for the person who does it for the Catholic indulgence, the unnamed spiritual reason, or for recreation. Let's appreciate the diversity and individuality of every pilgrim's journey. Your Camino is not my Camino, but that's okay. It wouldn't be the Camino if it was.

So in about a month when you see the crazy girl running along the road at 6am just outside Torsantos or Fonfria or Burgos or wherever, just smile and silently wish her a 'Buen Camino'. 'Cause I can tell you, she'll be doing the same.

I love your attitude! I walk a very steady snail's pace at 3k/h due to a disability of my foot. Last year I remember seeing some guy with orange soled shoes run pass me numerous times day after day for week on end. The mystery of the the tortoise and the hare, I suspect.
Buen Camino, my wing footed friend.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It may be heresy to ask, but why do those planning a unique camino tell us about it?:confused:

So walking 300, 500, 800 or maybe even 2000km is not unique enough?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
21 days from SJPP to Santiago is power hiking rather than running -- and I've done it (did Paris > Santiago in 44 days)

The toughest thing is the loneliness, because with a daily marathon you leave everyone else behind and only ever see strangers. And the odd cyclist.

But there's a certain beauty to it as well, when you're in-training, and you become as if a part of the landscape.

Just remember to take your day of rest when the need arises, and you'll do OK

It may be heresy to ask, but why do those planning a unique camino tell us about it?:confused:
If you mean the OP, perhaps you've forgotten they asked a question? Any runners in the room, they asked. Not much practical advice has been forthcoming, but plenty of opinion... Perhaps the runners are doing their stretches and will be along with some answers soon!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe there is a misunderustanding about running. For some people running can be a sport and is connected with speed and competition, get somewhere as fast as you can. I can imagine that it's something many people wouldn't like one the Camino, me including. For me running is a different thing, combining walking and running on a Camino, just as my body asks me to do, feels more natural then walking only.
For a long time I didn't run but when I started again a few years ago I did feel the joy of it so much again.

Like I said before, in 2013 I did run on my camino Madrid-Salvador-Primitive, about 1 hour a day. That year I took a special running backpack which gave me the freedom to run, if i wish to do so. I took about 4,5 kgs. For me, combining running and walking made my camino very special. It deepened my camino experience. I felt strong and much more connected to the world and to the Camino. I'm not religious, but religious people would describe this as connected to god.

I discovered again that running feels to me like a very natural way of 'walking'. It brought me back to my childhood. As a child I always ran to my school. I never thought about it, it was just the thing I did untill other children started to ask me why I did that. I didn't know and wanted to ask them: why don't you run? Running on the camino brought back to me my very deep natural child who wanted to play and to run and discover the whole world. It was so intense.

In a few weeks I will start walking from my home in Amsterdam to SdC. It will need to take about 7-8 kgs which will not fit in my running backpack. So this will be walking only...

If I walk the camino I love it very much. Combining running and walking makes it more special to me. That's the way it is for me.
For most other people walking the Camino is the perfect way to get the experience this whole forum is about, for some people running the whole Camino seems their natural way, for me it is in between. What the heck!:rolleyes:

Todo!
(spanish word for everything/entirely/completeness/fullness)

Even those who are planning a wholly unoriginal Camino get to tell everyone about it. :cool:
You may have identified a bit of braggadocio in each of us!;)

For the record, I admire everyone who goes on a pilgrimage. :)

And there goes the botafumeiro on webcam...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
However I was wandering if there is any runner "in the room" who could give me some advice whatsoever. Even you if you already have accomplished sucha' adventure -walking-, I would be more than happy to hear your experience.

If you mean the OP, perhaps you've forgotten they asked a question? Any runners in the room, they asked. Not much practical advice has been forthcoming, but plenty of opinion... Perhaps the runners are doing their stretches and will be along with some answers soon!

Hi Rodos, I am a runner - in the 'happy jogger' sense of the word. I've walked from St Jean PdeP to Ponferrada so far.
Some stretches of this route are very suited to trail running. A few places are more like the terrain in an adventure race/mountain challenge and some of the downhill sections would be ridiculously dangerous (although you could probably follow the cycle routes instead). The road sections present the same challenges as those you encounter at home. Personally, I prefer walking the Camino - but I have to confess that there were a few moments along the way where I was imagining an early morning solitary trail run....

Running the Camino would be tough on your body - especially in warm weather. However, it sounds as though you really want to do it!
Buen Camino.

So walking 300, 500, 800 or maybe even 2000km is not unique enough?
I have logged maybe 2000km on the Caminos and don't consider that even be worthy of being unique.
For someone who doesn't even know about bragging about their prowess on this forum and has walked the Camino say from Amsterdam to Fisterre since the 60's or 70's multiple times over the years; now that's unique.

Luis Unapata (not his real name) walked from SJPdP to Fisterra on one leg, not as a stunt, but because he only had one leg. He may not even be unique, but he is certainly admirable. :) You can stop running when you want. It is much more difficult to stop being one-legged. At one level of consciousness, stunts are very dismissive of real limitations. Humility recognizes that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Absolutely agree with holmesmd. My Camino is mine and your Camino is yours. We all do what is right for us.
I am running the Camino from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela starting on May 13th planning on arriving 16 days later on the 28th - my 50th birthday. I am a trail runner and an ultra marathon runner. I love to to be out in the hills and countryside running all day. It's what I do, it's what makes me tick. It makes me stop and gaze in wonderment at this wonderful world.
I am doing this for religious and spiritual reasons, not to brag, not as a race. If I have to get a bus at some stage, I will. I certainly won't be running every single step, there will be plenty of fast walking. When I see an interesting church, monastery or anything else that looks interesting, I will stop and explore. No rush, not a race. I may take detours, I may not. I might go to Finesterre but I might not
I am so excited - yes it will be tough but I can't wait. It will be special and it will be my Camino. No more important and no less important than anyone else's, and no more tough or less tough than anyone else's.
So..... to slightly paraphrase holmesmd........"in about a month when you see the crazy man running along the road at 6am just outside Torsantos or Fonfria or Burgos or wherever, just smile and silently wish her a 'Buen Camino'. Cause I'll be doing the same to you"
:):):)

Many people shared their opinion, but anyone hardly answered your question: advice on running the Camino. I will try...

1. Take some hard trial shoes, but not with goratex membrane. It would be a killer in Spanish weather and those shoes would be too sweaty at the end of each day - it would be difficult to run in it a next day...

2. If you plan to take baggage and let it be shipped to every new location, take two pair of shoes and switch every other day.

3. Most of the Camino Frances (if you plan to follow the yellow arrows) goes along asphalt roads, or stoned pavements "made" for pilgrims. I would say that the main road is good for walking, but for running it's just bad for knees and sometimes even boring for a runner. So, get the guide and plan your way using the "side routes" and "detours", to avoid so much pressure on your body. If you have a guide and a map, you can plan many stages in a way to avoid surfaces that are bad for a runner.
You will not converse with pilgrims while running (they will have different pace :)), so I think it is not an issue to take other roads (you will enjoy the conversation in the alberges :)).

Enjoy the moment, the endorphins, the run. For me personally it would be too difficult. I am a good runner and can run 50 km a day in terain, but to do it many days in a row... well, probably the best advice is to train :). I think that you need to run at least 500 km/ month in the last two months before you travel do SJPdP. Otherwise your body would not stand it and you would need to quit.

Good Luck!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good advice - I'm really undecided on shoes. Decent trail shoes best for first few day but with so much tarmac and so much Meseta, I'm tempted to go with something a bit more forgiving. Don't want t take 2 pairs as I'm carrying my stuff and obviously want to be as light as sensible.

I have logged maybe 2000km on the Caminos and don't consider that even be worthy of being unique.
For someone who doesn't even know about bragging about their prowess on this forum and has walked the Camino say from Amsterdam to Fisterre since the 60's or 70's multiple times over the years; now that's unique.

I think, for alot of people who have walked the camino, it is unique. I also don't think it has anything to do with distances. Walking multiple times from Amsterdam to Finisterre for a, lets asume, healthy man is no more unique than a blind man who walked from St Jean just once. (opinions opinions :) )

But i guess it also depends on what definition of unique is being used. If unique is just a synonym for "rare' than yes, you, me and probably 95% of the people here and on the whole camino are not very unique, compared to the handfull of men and women who run it :)

I do agree though, it does not feel unique to me, but i do feel priviliged that i could/can do it.....(and even multiple times)

I am running the Camino from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela starting on May 13th planning on arriving 16 days later on the 28th - my 50th birthday.
:):):)

I'll be leaving SJPP on the 12th! Happy early birthday if we don't meet on the road. That's an amazing way to celebrate life, health, and happiness.

I yet to run an ultra so it's a little nerve wrecking to think about the practical staying healthy, eating enough kind of stuff. For the last 3 months or so I've been logging 120-140 miles a week (purely for the joy of it) but that's usually split over one long morning run and a 5k in the afternoon (with weekends off) so there's plenty of time to refuel, etc. As an experienced ultra runner, any tips for rehydrating/fueling for this kind of experience?

For the OP:
For my last Camino everything that I carried with my weighed 6.5lbs when I left the States and filled a 28L internal frame pack about halfway. Once I got to Spain I added anywhere from 1-4lbs of food (fruit, jerky, deli meats, granola) and had one water bottle of about 16 ounces, which I filled as needed along the way (I don't drink as much as most people, you'll likely find that you will need more water than that). My pack was small compared to everyone else, it was great! I used a standard pair of running shoes with about 50 miles already on them and switched into a pair of keen sandals at the end of the day to let my feet dry. The running shoes were spent by the time I got back to the States but they served their job and kept me injury-free and dry footed, more than I can say for most other pilgrims.

(Personally, I find that Gortex running shoes don't breathe and destroy the skin on my feet. Once the shoes get wet, they do not want to dry. And if you go through three blizzards and tromp through 10+km of ankle deep mud like I did last time your feet will get muddy or wet, gortex or no. At least with running shoes you can hose them down and be assured they will be dry the next morning. That's just my experience.)

For this run I'll be bring a slightly smaller pack, 20L with an internal frame, but mostly keep everything else the same minus some medical supplies, tupperware, fleece jacket, hiking pants/shirt, camera, and oversized shemagh that I used as a scarf/blanket/panic blanket. I'll have total three pairs of clothes (two running outfits and a versatile travel dress), lots of socks (I expect to change socks 3x each day), some basic meds + bath supplies (toothbrush/paste, athletic tape, all purpose camping soup, ibuprofen, allergy meds, sunscreen), running shoes, sandals, a light sleeping bag, a rain shell, a long sleeve shirt or jacket for at night, gloves, a hydration system, hat, camping utensils (unnecessary but worth the 2oz for when I needed them), and electrolyte supplements. I'll also have an iPad mini to serve as entertainment, guidebook, internet, etc. Safety pins are great for pinning smelly socks to the back of your pack to let them dry and they double as clothes pins. I had a few gallon sized ziplock bags as well to put open food in. Anything else I expect to buy on the road as I need it (last time all I needed to buy was a compression bandage and food). Like last time, all of my clothing is synthetic and quick dry. Again, you don't want to start the day with damp or smelly clothes.

I plan to carry at least a day's worth of food on me at all times. When I'm running/hiking and need food, I need food, and I often can't wait until I come across the next store or bar. (FYI, stores in the smaller villages are often only open for a few hours a day, sometimes only a few days a week. Good luck finding anything open on Sundays, except for maybe a bread van, even in larger cities like Astorga). I expect to run with about 3-4kg on my back fully stocked.

I hope that's helpful. Again, I've never attempted a run of this kind of before but I've been seriously thinking about running the Camino for at least the last year. I didn't train for it and I only confirmed that I would do it two weeks ago. I'm just planning around my previous Camino experience and weekend camping/hiking trips, as well as what I've been able to pick up from multiday ultramarathon websites and personal blogs. Crossing my fingers that it all works out.

Check out these two blogs for their experiences running the Camino (sans support team) and their packing lists:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Luis Unapata (not his real name) walked from SJPdP to Fisterra on one leg, not as a stunt, but because he only had one leg. He may not even be unique, but he is certainly admirable. :) You can stop running when you want. It is much more difficult to stop being one-legged. At one level of consciousness, stunts are very dismissive of real limitations. Humility recognizes that.
No one is doing a stunt. We're all on a pilgrimage, that's all. Play nice, now x

I've done several multi-day events so my advice is mainly based on this:
1. Food
The further you are into your 'event', run, walk, the more your body will be breaking down, and the more calories you will require for repair, recovering and doing it all again. Eat normal food as much as possible - you will need fat and protein just as much as carbs. Your body is good at telling you what you need - if you feel like a burger, then there's probably a good reason. Carry some emergency sugar hits to get you through the lows - sweeties, chocolate (although I imagine it may melt on the Camino) etc, and always enough to get you to next guaranteed food stop.
My mantra is "If you see food, eat it. If you think of food, eat some". If you're thinking about whether you need to eat or not, then you should be eating.
Believe if you're running 30 miles/day for 2+ weeks, it's virtually impossible to over eat

2. Fluid
Always carry enough to get you to the next guaranteed top up. Always top up if there's water available. Drink regularly, don't wait til you feel thirsty. Drinking just water can be dangerous - strongly consider using electrolyte tablets if you don't already. Make sure you rehydrate thoroughly at the end of each day - it will help flush out all the waste products.

Other advice is the usual stuff:
Pack as light as possible but do not compromise safety (at all) or comfort (where possible).
Make sure you've trained with the pack you'll be using, packed to the approximate weight you'll be carrying
Poles - well, I'm taking my lightweight collapsible ones
Shoes - personal choice, stick to what you know is comfortable. I would strongly advise AGAINST goretex/waterproof shoes. Once water gets in (and it will) it can't get out.
Plan - again that's personal. Some like to know exactly where they are going to stop, some go with the flow. Personally, no real plan - too restrictive for me and (IMHO) defeats the object of doing the Camino (for me anyway). I'll just go as I feel, visit if I want to visit, and stop for the day where it feels right. Yes, I know approximately how much distance I need to be covering daily but I wont be following that 'religiously '

That covers all I can think of this morning

Buen Camino

... And in 2013, before I asked to talk to the "supervisor" and had a long dialogue with her, they initially refused to give me the Compostela because I hadn't done things in the "spirit of the Camino"...:rolleyes:

Interesting.
So what is "the spirit of the camino". More than 25 days? More than 30 days? Stopping at every village? Every church? If you can bike and ride a horse, surely you can run?!

As some have said here, running can be a spiritual experience too. It certainly was for me sometimes.

And for me too. My vicar says it is my time to pray :)

And I was never in a hurry. I have run as little as 19km and as much as 62km in a day. I stopped countless times. I talked to people, took pictures, enjoyed Nature, the company of others and the moments of solitude... Most of the time I ran slowly, sometimes it felt great to run "fast".
I remember a day when I ran 5 hours but was on the Camino for 10! I have beautiful memories from that day.

This is exactly what I do when I spend a long day in the hills in England and what I will do on the Camino. This week, I was running in the Lake District and had a long chat with someone who turned out to be the guy updating all the Wainwright guides. Fascinating chat it was too :) I'm actually considering book about the people i meet when i'm out running - so many fascinating stories :)

H
If you want to check the blogs I kept have a look here:
https://jrunspain.wordpress.com/2011/06/
https://jrunspain2.wordpress.com/page/4/
All the best!

Thanks for all your advice and sharing your blogs. Inspiring! Felt the urge in my body to run again.
By the way, what I did was just running or walking as I felt like. Sometimes walking all day, sometimes on and of running for 2-3 hours a day. Is there an english word for walking and running along, just as it comes? Rulking, Waring, runwalks, walkruns?

Devil's Advocate.:eek:

I can see the point of view that "running" the Camino is not "in the right spirit." If one views the Camino as primarily a Pilgrimage (capital P), one can't do it primarily as a sporting event (i.e. running).

However, as many have pointed out, there is no way to tell what is in a person's heart when they are engaging in an activity. Who's to say that a pilgrim walking slowly isn't planning how to murder their spouse (Heaven Forbid!! - definitely not in the Spirit!!)

Many people walk the CF as a walking, rather than as a spiritual, event. They walk to see the countryside, to get away from their regular lives, to enjoy time alone or with loved ones, etc. They may think "spiritual" or "spiritual" may never enter their minds. And they get their Campostelle.

A runner, once in the "zone," can certainly set his/her mind on God.

Perhaps an open mind for all kinds of spiritual activity is needed by everyone. Including forgiveness and understanding towards those who strive to protect the Camino as a spiritual journey.

Hope this is flame-proof. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Devil's Advocate.:eek:

I can see the point of view that "running" the Camino is not "in the right spirit." If one views the Camino as primarily a Pilgrimage (capital P), one can't do it primarily as a sporting event (i.e. running).
Hmmm, interesting point.
I think for everyone a big part of the camino is the physical challenge, that is part of what makes it spiritual. For some people walking is more then challenging, for others running is just a bit. When is a physical challenge a sporting event and when not? For me most important is to find my flow and go with it.

Hmmm, interesting point.
I think for everyone a big part of the camino is the physical challenge, that is part of what makes it spiritual. For some people walking is more then challenging, for others running is just a bit. When is a physical challenge a sporting event and when not? For me most important is to find my flow and go with it.
Thomas, I like your point.

I probably agree that the physical challenge is the first compelling reason to "do" a Camino. Otherwise, if you just want to be spiritual, hey, just go to your local Church!

Perhaps rhythmic sports lend themselves to spiritual thought better than others. I mean an activity like running, or walking, or swimming laps, something like that. After a while, you can put your body on automatic pilot and let your mind wander. Maybe that is where the spiritual comes in.

And, perhaps, when one turns a Camino into a competition, it loses the spiritual aspect. I'm guilty of this myself. Not for speed, that's for sure. But I see it when pilgrims compare who had worse weather, who had more blisters, who shared a room more times with louder snorers, etc.

IMHO, everyone who walks/limps into the Pilgrim Office in SDC has achieved something great, no matter who long or how quickly it took them to get there.

PS - The OP said he plans to do the CF in 21 days. To me, I'm afraid, that smacks of being a competition. Many people have time constraints for their CF, but this sounds different.

Last edited:
PS - The OP said he plans to do the CF in 21 days. To me, I'm afraid, that smacks of being a competition. Many people have time constraints for their CF, but this sounds different.
Oh come on. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. On Camino I've always been in competition with myself. Trying to be a 'better pilgrim' than the first time. I lose that competition every time. That's why I have to keep going back. Or is it? I don't know my own motives - how can we judge someone else's from a few hastily-written words?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My motives are the best :rolleyes:
for me.

My initial reaction to the OP was along the lines of 'it's a pilgrimage, not a race' or thoughts to that effect, but reading the thread I had to ask myself why I had that gut reaction. And the answer seems to be simple - jealousy! I'm absolutely useless at running so I envy you your ability. If I cant do it, why should you? Maybe others are the same???

But I understand completely what others are saying about being in tune with your body and nature when you run well. Took me straight back to when I was a teenager and a competent skier - the thrill of a well executed run; or when I once did a long sea swim on a calm day and I was effortlessly gliding through the water, far faster than all the others; or a couple of times when walking the Camino last Sept when I was so in tune with my poles that I was just powering ahead with so little effort - it all came together. You do it because you can and it feels so good when it works like that. Makes up for the times when everything aches and is such an effort!!!

On a practical note, you will possibly find times when it will be difficult to run because the path is not too wide and there are groups of people to overtake. It happened enough to me and I was only walking. Maybe you should behave like a cyclist and ring a bell when you want people to move out of your way. That would make you even more unpopular with some people!

Oh come on. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. On Camino I've always been in competition with myself. Trying to be a 'better pilgrim' than the first time. I lose that competition every time. That's why I have to keep going back. Or is it? I don't know my own motives - how can we judge someone else's from a few hastily-written words?

When I want to get better at something - say, making an omelet - I don't see it as competing with myself. I see it as just hoping to improve a skill. And I would never judge someone simply by what they write on a post. Here on this forum, I attempt to "improve" on my words, especially if it seems my meaning is misunderstood.

If a person plans to do a Camino in a certain number of days, and they aren't doing it because they have a plane to catch, a person to meet, a set number of vacation days, etc., it seems to me that their primary goal is the physical competition (competition with themselves? OK, fine, no argument). They are downplaying, or unaware of, the potential to be compelled to spend time with people they might meet along the way, visit a certain place, need to stop to take care of physical needs, etc. To me, this is one idea of a pilgrimage - to open yourself up to new ideas, people, dreams, things you may never have imagined before. In this case, however, they seem to have set a goal of a physical activity rather than on a "spiritual" journey (spiritual isn't the right word but I can't think of a better one at the moment).

The poster I was replying to was distressed because he/she was given some grief when the person granting blessing, or whatever, at the end of their trip was unhappy that they saw it as a race they had won rather than a spiritual journey. I'm not judging the person's motives. I don't know what is in their heart. But it does, I admit, hurt my heart when someone says they did the Camino as a physical competition (that person did it in X number of days, I'm going to do it in X-1 days!), as a vacation get-away (boy, are THEY in for a surprise), or that kind of thing. However, in my heart I also know that the Camino will work its mojo on them, one way or another.

Some days you're fast, some days you're slow. Your body works at its own pace. Your brain likewise.

Will they decide to change their goal in the middle of their Camino? Will they meet and fall in love with someone on the Camino and change their goals forever? Will they think of themselves as losers if they do it in 23 days instead of 21? Who knows!!

I'm curious about the idea of trying to be a better pilgrim than the first time. What are some of the things you try to do better? If you "lose" that competition every time, does that mean you are a worse pilgrim every time ( joking :p). I think it just means that you are a different pilgrim every time. You never step into the same river twice.

I know this doesn't help. I wish my words were better. I admire anyone who has achieved their goals.
And, sometimes, I feel sorry for them.
;)
Journeying in slo-mo,
Kathy
Buen Camino, all!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are welcome.
I like the sound of Rulking. :)

Good point. And that's what many people told me. That it's not a race, not a competition.
Ever since I was a child I went everywhere running if I could. It's just something I love and has always been part of me. I take part in races and try to be as competitive as I can but the Camino is a different matter.
That said, there are people who run/cycle/walk as if they were racing (and I am not talking about tight schedules) and I have met some of them.
I can only speak for myself but it became a bit tiresome to hear mocking and even angry comments so often. But in the end it was a great way to become more tolerant so I took something positive from it.

There's definitely something to the rhythmic side of running that may induce a trance-like state.
The spiritual side, for me at least, was not related to that.
For reasons I prefer not to share on a public forum, I had tears streaming down my face for most of the climb up to O Cebreiro in 2013. And there's no way one can just switch off and let the thoughts wonder on that path and with such an effort involved.
The spiritual side came from me, from what I was experiencing then. It was, actually, one of the deepest spiritual moments in my life.

We should ask the OP. :)
In 2013 I reached Santiago, from Saint-Jean, in 18 days and I was never in a hurry - maybe I should have been as I got to Portomarín after 5pm and was told everywhere that there were no beds... :p
That day I spent just under 12 hours on the Camino for a total of 6h26m of running. I was definitely not racing. So what happened? I wrote this on my blog that evening:

"Today I ran 62km/38.5mi from O Cebreiro to Portomarín. I had never run anything close to that in a day.
Everything fell into place. Body and mind working together, incredible beauty all around and a sense of being where I should be.
I wonder how I will feel tomorrow but I feel good now."

J.

I think this is all awesome.
When I was younger I loved to run. Ran everywhere and felt joy with every step.
I totally get the inner ""peace" that comes with feeling the breeze, the sweat, etc.
I walk now because I want to save my knee joints :rolleyes: so I CAN walk longer distances with joy.
And on those days when I walk longer distances and feel GREAT, I give myself a pat on the back, say a prayer of thanks, and cross my fingers that the next day will be just as good.
:)

They are downplaying, or unaware of, the potential to be compelled to spend time with people they might meet along the way, visit a certain place, need to stop to take care of physical needs, etc. To me, this is one idea of a pilgrimage
Not to worry, they will be compelled to take care of physical needs, perhaps more than the average pilgrim!

I run down hills. Saves pressure on the knees. Also makes me, and the others who do it giggle like small children...great fun.
I met a girl near Salamanca who was running. She was very well organised. She would drive to the following day's destination and get a bus back, then run the next day. This was in July on the VDLP- pretty mental! She's a PE teacher from Sevilla and is fit as a butcher's pencil. She didn't run more than 40km a day and that seems like a realistic number.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I ran by the Boston Marathon Finish Line this morning. The street was shut down. I was the sole runner in the middle of the road. Plenty of people rushing to get their cafes and pastries on the sidewalks. There was a single bagpiper, playing in remembrance of the event two years ago today. I thought of my friend Sean, yes I said my friend, and I flashed back to the sounds of gunfire that I heard from my porch echoing through Cambridge and Somerville that night. Running will always be spiritual for me, be it a 5K or an 800K.

I may train for an event, but it's no different than the hundreds of people in this forum who went on long hikes, practiced using treking poles, or maybe went on a diet in advance of their Caminos. Am I a better or worse pilgrim for not having to train for my journey in May? I don't think so. Are the people who started walking a little more to prepare, hope to lose a few pounds on the road, or are looking forward to their hourly cafes and trail chatter with fellow hikers, better or worse pilgrims than I? I don't think so either.

On my Camino I will spend time with people I might meet along the way, I will visit certain places as they call to me, and I will need to stop to take care of my physical needs. I am not racing the Camino. I am not competing with other pilgrims or other runners. I am simply putting one foot in front of the other, just like the rest of you, and looking forward to the journey between points A and B.

On my Camino, as now, I will be open to new ideas, people, dreams, things I may never have imagined before. I certainly never imagined before my first Camino experience that I would return in two years time to run it, though I can tell you when I first started dreaming about it.* I more than welcome what this Camino will gift me, even if it's simply some pretty mean blisters and a sunburn or two.

We do not know what people carry in their hearts, and for most people we never will. And in my personal experience, even when we think we know, we're probably wrong.

Earlier, I was simply asking that everyone be open to the desired Camino experiences of others. Not to pass judgement. Just to be open to each and every person finding their own way, even if you cannot imagine yourself in their shoes.

* In case you were curious, it was on the Camino, on the road to Los Arcos. I hadn't run in 6 years. I just needed to run in that moment. So I ran for 3 miles with my Camino pack on my back. Smiling, with a heart full of joy. Even writing about it now still makes me smile.

I ran by the Boston Marathon Finish Line this morning. The street was shut down. I was the sole runner in the middle of the road. Plenty of people rushing to get their cafes and pastries on the sidewalks. There was a single bagpiper, playing in remembrance of the event two years ago today. I thought of my friend Sean, yes I said my friend, and I flashed back to the sounds of gunfire that I heard from my porch echoing through Cambridge and Somerville that night. Running will always be spiritual for me, be it a 5K or an 800K.

I may train for an event, but it's no different than the hundreds of people in this forum who went on long hikes, practiced using treking poles, or maybe went on a diet in advance of their Caminos. Am I a better or worse pilgrim for not having to train for my journey in May? I don't think so. Are the people who started walking a little more to prepare, hope to lose a few pounds on the road, or are looking forward to their hourly cafes and trail chatter with fellow hikers, better or worse pilgrims than I? I don't think so either.

On my Camino I will spend time with people I might meet along the way, I will visit certain places as they call to me, and I will need to stop to take care of my physical needs. I am not racing the Camino. I am not competing with other pilgrims or other runners. I am simply putting one foot in front of the other, just like the rest of you, and looking forward to the journey between points A and B.

On my Camino, as now, I will be open to new ideas, people, dreams, things I may never have imagined before. I certainly never imagined before my first Camino experience that I would return in two years time to run it, though I can tell you when I first started dreaming about it.* I more than welcome what this Camino will gift me, even if it's simply some pretty mean blisters and a sunburn or two.

We do not know what people carry in their hearts, and for most people we never will. And in my personal experience, even when we think we know, we're probably wrong.

Earlier, I was simply asking that everyone be open to the desired Camino experiences of others. Not to pass judgement. Just to be open to each and every person finding their own way, even if you cannot imagine yourself in their shoes.

* In case you were curious, it was on the Camino, on the road to Los Arcos. I hadn't run in 6 years. I just needed to run in that moment. So I ran for 3 miles with my Camino pack on my back. Smiling, with a heart full of joy. Even writing about it now still makes me smile.

Yes, the spirit moved me to break into a trot once or twice on the CF. Yes, with pack and poles, LOL!

Lovely, a thread full of opinions again. Your too fast, your too slow, dont run, bikers are no pilgrims, your notdoing it in the spirit of blabla blabla blabla....
Only one person has to be happy with the how's and what's of his/her camino and thats the person walking/running/biking it. Not you!

Why do people care so much how somebody else does his camino?
Ok, of course people can have an opinion, free country and all, but the never ending judgement...pfffff that is soooo un-pilgrim if you ask me, way more than the person your judging for whatever reason.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lovely, a thread full of opinions again
Haha! Yes, but it's quite an impressively balanced thread, hopefully containing enough information for the OP. It's the thread I keep coming back to - I can't help thinking there's something lovely in the idea that prompted it. Buen camino, Rodos!

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance,
Rodos
This reminds me of my Camino in 2013 when a young man went running by, friends and others talked about the crazy guy runnng the Camino, well last year whilst walking the Camino again I stopped in at Murias de Rechivaldo at the alburge for the night and at tea was recalling the story from the previous year when a young man asked when this was. WELL you would not believe it but it was the runner, we talked for hours and again in the morning it was one of my great Camino meetings. By the way he ran it in 18 days including stops I hope you a great time but please do stop and talk to people on the way as yours may become a story for other pilgrims. Buen camino.

In 2013 I have hiked my first Camino and there was more than one moment that I felt putting down my back pack and run and run but unfortunately my hiking boots was not the right shoes for it and I was 53 then and the last time I have run was in my army days when I was in my twenties. Run and enjoy!!

Lots of people run it. They send their luggage ahead by bag transfer.
I don't get it, but wth.

Amazing! I did not meet any running pilgrims, even though some of my fellow pilgrims were sending their luggage ahead indeed. However you Rebekah may know better.

I have learned myself, there is a minor bias on this wonderful forum that doing long distances in a short time is a herecy inappropriate for camino. By some strange reason it applies to pedestrians, since cyclists or horse riders are much faster anyway. Come on, walk the camino and bless other pilgrims!
I did CF in 22 days not running a single step and taking some easy days, below 20km, when I felt it is appropriate. And no, I did not send my backpack ahead. I even did not walk very fast, I just kept walking long days. Nevertheless, I think that running camino is not a brilliant idea. Because you will be running alone and will be not able to get in touch with other pilgrims who are walking the path. I believe it is an indispensable part of camino. If running is your call, then I would advice to start walking with a group, then run away in order to catch another group ahead, and so on. In fact, this might be not so silly as it sounds. I met at several instances cycling pilgrims, whom I learned at previous stops in albergues, and who did not mind to push their bikes for a while to engage conversation.
Rodos, I wish you buen camino, and if you are interested in practical details how to do or prepare for fast thru-camino, please PM me.

Last edited:
22 days to santiago? Better be carefull, the pilgrim office might not think it to be in the spirit of the camino. Watch out for that secret interogation room when getting your credential.... :)

As for running and meeting people, like somebody on here said he spent 12 hours on the camino on some days, eventhough he is running, he surely will meet lots of people on his stops.
When i walk i meet/speak with 90% of the people while on a break or at the end of the day. Most of the time i walk alone, like so many others. So i dont think there is a big difference in how runners or walkers meet people.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey guys,

You ALL are simply amazing!! Thanks a lot to all the advises you have provided me by far. I didn't expect sucha' virtual kindness... ;-)

I almost have read all your comments!!. I'll start the Camino on the 15th May to celebrate my birthday -like someone else in the thread ;-)-. I'm not sure if someone else will be on SJPDP for those days but I'll be happy to meet you if you'll be there on the 14th May noon. More if someone else would like to run besides me :-DDDDDD

Well, I finally have booked 23 days but I would like to do the Camino in 15-16 days (~50km). I've ever been a Pro runner but I'm actually doing some training before start this adventure. It's not a race... I don't want to show off... I just want to find myself running.

I have been searching through Google if someone else have done the Camino in 15-16 days but I didn't come across with anyone. Just wandering what 15-16 stages were done in order to follow it as well.

Look after yourself!!

Here is some information I provided a pilgrim who wanted to run or walk the Camino at Speed to Finisterre .... typos included ..... Good Luck .....

An American woman ran the Camino in 8 days some years back, so 17 days should be a doddle!! I think she ran with a support team, namely her family, and found the challenge relatively easy, relative that was to what she was used to back home. The weather was mild, mid Winter and she knocked out 2.5 marathons a day for 8 days ..... respect ..... 17 days so 55 KMs a day ... sure you could do it. Not sure where she started though ..,.

The key to walking quickly to Finisterre would be not to stop in Santiago, until you come back from Finistere as there is a risk of loosing your mojo in such a beautiful place!! Ideally keep going onto Muxia and then walk back to Santiago, picking up 4 Compostellas ....

Her approach possibly brings up a number of issues, from what is the appropriate way to walk/run the Camino eg supported v unsupported, carry backpack v taxi, book hostals or go with the flow. Then there is the issue of what is 17 days ... 17 days in succession or over a number of years, 17 equivalent days or normal days .... detail is important or not ....

I walked my first Camino from St. Jean to Santiago in 15 days and my fastest Camino in 13 days.

My first was my most epic as I had no prior knowledge of the Camino, resulting in some poor purchases (boots that were not big enough). I got blisters from Day 2 and arrived in Santiago nursing a few more blisters as it rained from Saria to Santiago. I walked between 25 and 85 KMs a day, so not planned, organised and or disciplined. The weather was very hot in the Meseta which was tough going, but I loved every last moment out on the Camino, having my own adventure. I also got a leg infection which another pilgrim sorted out, so I had a lot of luck as well.

My 13 day Camino was well planned in terms of gear and equipment, right through to a day plan (2.5 to 3 Brierley stages a day eg SJPP to Pamplona, Pamolona to Los Arcos .... so just under 60KMs every day, with a very long last day under moonlight, such good fun).

Before my first Camino I did have prior knowledge and experience of ultra running having competed and completed a number of ultra and multi day marathons including the Marathon Des Sables in the Sahara Desert. So I had a lot of knowledge and practical experience to draw on. It was not my intention to walk the Camino quickly, just evolved, eventually morphing into an epic challenge against the clock .... such good fun.

Knowledge through experience is key as it will tell you what you and your body is capable of. The Forum can give you ideas but you and your body will determine what will and will not work for you.

Ideally you would be:
  1. Marathon or ultra marathon fit. You want your body to be primed from the get go and not after a few days. Jet lag should be avoided as it will slow you down in a number of ways from tiredness, dehydration, lower energy levels to constipation ...
  2. Light in body weight = (height in cms - 100) x 90% to 100%. The lighter you are the faster you will walk and the less likely you will pick up weight related injuries.
  3. Focused - focus on your Camino and your plan. Avoid distractions eg Facebook, internet, coffee shops.
  4. Agree with your wife, business associates etc. on how you will be limited in your availability and find a way that works with your "Stakeholders"!!!
  5. Make your luck .... go when good weather can be expected - April/May, September/October, make good decisions along the way, including small decisions.
  6. Organised - light and fit for purpose with lots of routines and be disciplined eg change socks during the day, washing socks straight away, dealing with hot spots before they become blisters, bio security ... hand sanitation as your imune system will become weaker than normal.
  7. Walk alone up to 60KMs a day and still have enough time to eat, sleep, redt, recover ...
  8. Avoid over nighting in the big towns and cities, slow to get out of in the am and too many temptations ....
  9. Knowledge of your body, smart walking, know how, when and where it will breakdown so as to take preventative action eg I have to tape up my pinky toes as they rupture and my second toes as they get really sore.
  10. Have fun .....
Key Equipment:

1. Non Gortex Trail Running Shoes with spare insoles and large cycling over booties for the rain. Gortex makes your feet sweat. I use Brookes as they are light with big soles
  2. Desert style running hat as used in the MDS. Check out the hat from OR (Outdoor Research).
  3. Compression top and socks eg Skins, Salamon ... buy in Triathlon shop. Compression shorts may cause chaffing so possibly avoid. Compression socks are critical for avoiding tendinitis/shin splints.
  4. Good GPS watch ... Heart Rate, Speed, Distance, Temperature eg Garmin, Sunnto, Polar. Good idea to walk within a heart rate range that is safe for you and makes max use of carbs and fat burning mixture.
  5. Clothing - light layers that cover your body and keep the sun off. Light rain gear assuming you plan to walk during a dry period. It nearly always rains in Galacia, which is just a few days at 60 KMs per day.
  6. Running Poles - lighter and more flexible than walking poles. I am 1KPH fast with running poles. Light gloves good for in the sun. Likeys in Wales sell them, weigh 100 grams each.
  7. Cereal bowl, spork and Lunch box. You will need to eat lots of food so a cereal breakfast is fast and easy. Special K is available all over Spain Lunch box for speeding up meal times and allows for the splitting of meals into smaller portions as your stomach will get smaller as you push yourself harder and harder. Carry biscuits for quick snack and pick me up at all times.
  8. Ear plugs and light sleeping bag with a good liner as sleep is key to walking long distances day in day out.
  9. Key gear ideas:
    1. Light Backpack eg Raidlight 25l from France
    2. See through stuff sack eg Eagle creek 20 or 30 l ... keeps everything waterproof and compact.
    3. Sleeping Bag liner eg Sea to Summit "Thermolite Reactor" sleeping bag liner is expensive but amazing adding degrees to any sleeping bag.
    4. Good head torch with variable beam, with a red filter gor indoors. Check ultra running websites such as Likeys.
    5. Power monkey to recharge your gadgets on the go.
    6. Isotonic tablets and or salt tables when very sunny.
    7. Minimilist wash bag - buy your toiletories at the airport.
    8. Shower cap - ideal for washing your feet during the day.
    9. Tennis ball for foot stretching and have a good stretching routine for the end of each day.
    10. Camino Buff.
  10. Minimise as much as possible eg buy Brierley maps instead of guide book or just use the one page map from the Pilgrim office in SJPP along with their one page list of albergues instead of a guide book. Put them into waterproof plastic sleeves

Good advice - I'm really undecided on shoes. Decent trail shoes best for first few day but with so much tarmac and so much Meseta, I'm tempted to go with something a bit more forgiving. Don't want t take 2 pairs as I'm carrying my stuff and obviously want to be as light as sensible.
Look at Hokas...and there is a pack that many of the Marathon des Sables folks wear by Arn (?) I think...google back packs for the Marathon des Sables and you might get some good ideas of a pack ...

Just noticing CISSA69's post...who has done the MdS! - WOW! One of my sons wants to do this.
So editing my post to add my mention of it didn't realize someone else had shared way more about equipment used on it and most of all has done it :)

I would think that looking at what some of its participants have used would be a great source.
Buen Camino! Excited for you adventure!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Look at Hokas...
I use Hoka's as my shoes on road and easy trail and hadn't intended using them for this. However, my plantar fasciitis has flared up due to upping my training so the Hokas will be coming with me for the extra cushioning and they have a wide footprint.

...and there is a pack that many of the Marathon des Sables folks wear by Arn (?) I think...google back packs for the Marathon des Sables and you might get some good ideas of a pack ...
I did the MdS in 2013 and have also done The Spine here in the UK. I don't like the Aarn packs or the the MdD-specific pack for various reasons. For previous endeavours, I have used my trusty Inov8 RacePack 25 . However, for the Camino I will be using a Ultimate Direction Fastback 20 bag. Very light, ideal size, water bottles on the front, more like a race-vest than a pack. Plenty of room for kit including lightweight sleeping bag. It's a really nice bit of kit.

My wife buys handbags; I have my rucksacks ;)

What I also meant to say is that all kit choice is very personal. What works for me may well not work for you. It's really important to try out all kit before leaving on lengthy challenge such as this. No one wants to discovery their rucksack is uncomfortable on day 2

So many comments already to this post, but I will add one more from a runner's point of view. I saw an older man run over the Pyrenees last summer while we were walking, and as we were coming into Roncesvalles he was returning from there to go back over the Pyrenees again. Amazing! He was carrying nothing. Later sometime after Burgos we saw a couple running each day as a way to raise money for Cancer awareness, they too carried nothing other than water. Can it be done, absolutely and as a runner you know your own fitness level. Many good comments about switching out shoes, staying light, etc. Carrying your own pack while running would be a major challenge in many areas, and I personally don't know how one could do that, but if anyone can praise be for your strength! Wishing all the runners good luck with their endeavors! Buen Camino! Everyone walks/runs it in their own way. I even saw a man walking barefoot for the entire Camino, originating in Belgium, to raise awareness for Cancer as well. I am humbled by all the different manners people feel called to make this journey.

Well, I'm well on my way in Hospital de Orbigo after 8 days. Averaging around 60-65km/day. Out for around 10 hours daily. Lots of time to stop and chat, visit churches, cathedrals and whatever takes my fancy.
Some truly great memories - what a great experience!!
May even have time to get to Finisterre now :)

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance,
Rodos
Hi, it can be done. A friend of mine is a long distance runner and he know a man from South Korea he run the Camino Frances in 17 day's last year as a training. I must say he is a professional. It's only hear say. ! I wish you well with your attempt , Peter.

Think twice. Another seasoned long-distance Iron Man just this week had to bail out of his Run the Camino project at Castrojeriz due to physical breakdown.
The Camino is a holy Way that merits and demands our respect.
It isn't a race track, or a scenic backdrop for your latest Personal Achievement.
(that's just IMHO).

Think twice. Another seasoned long-distance Iron Man just this week had to bail out of his Run the Camino project at Castrojeriz due to physical breakdown.
It isn't a race track, or a scenic backdrop for your latest Personal Achievement.
(that's just IMHO).

There is a Summit. And many ways to reach it. “Be forgiven – if you were not able, but never – if you did not want."

Well said Rebekah.

(that's just IMHO).
My opinion is that it is a totally personal thing. Each of us has our own journey.
Am now at Molinoseca. I am probably going to finish in 12 or 13 days. I am not doing it as a race or to tick a box. I am on a pilgrimage - but running is my preferred method of travel- it's what I love.
I have probably met more people than most as I am travelling at a different speed. I stop and chat frequently. I have visited all the cathedrals, many churches and basically anything that takes my fancy.
I am running with no plan, no fixed distances for the day and stop when it feels right. Yesterday I was going to go a bit further but stopped here to chat to some great people having a drink and decided to have dinner with them and stop for the day - it felt right.
For me it is a religious experience and simply not like any run/hike/multi-day event that I have done. It is different because it is the Camino...and I have smiled all the way
Buen Camino to all.

Lets not get into another discussion on how to make your pilgrimage. We each have our own opinions which may not be the same as the person sitting next to us.

I do not want to lock this thread so please stay on topic everyone.

I Dont really think that having a physical breakdown while running on a "holy way" have anything to do with each other.

That could happen anywhere and has nothing to do with that path being "holy".

And it isnt a racetrack? Tell that to the hundreds of people flying by on their bikes.

The camino IS their for your personal achievement. The difference is, we dont all have the same achievements in mind. That doesnt mean you have to judge someone who does not have the same goal in mind as you do.

Well, just for the record here is my camino story.
I blogged a little before I left. Wrote a few blogs as I went along and have written the rest based on my journal (I reckon there's a book within those pages!!) Will add photos soon
Just a wonderful experience :):)
Oh....and I met HolmesMD from earlier on the thread - we were staying in the same albergue.....now what are the odds of that?

http://richrunnings.blogspot.co.uk

Well, I'm well on my way in Hospital de Orbigo after 8 days. Averaging around 60-65km/day. Out for around 10 hours daily. Lots of time to stop and chat, visit churches, cathedrals and whatever takes my fancy.
Some truly great memories - what a great experience!!
May even have time to get to Finisterre now :)
Hi There Rich1! We met along the way. You ran up behind me and asked about our Lewy Body Dementia posters and later in Santiago when you were celebrating with ice cream. (I was the other person wearing Hokas on the Camino.) I read your blog and saw that you mentioned us--thank you!
This is fun to "run" into you now that the Camino is over! Actually, you can imagine that as I'm reading this thread, I've been thinking about another Camino and running it next time. I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about running it next time.
It was a pleasure talking to you!!

Hi! Yes, I remember you guys well. I'm also thinking of another Camino - can't wait to return, it was such a remarkable experience.
I have been celebrating with ice cream ever since - today is my first day on the wagon!!

€149,-
We do not have to agree on every point to be respectful and supportive and good listeners.
I take care of pilgrims and all that, but I am still a very flawed human person, and one with opinions. I will continue to care for pilgrims, as I evidently cared for you. And I will continue to express my opinions, as disagreeable as some might find them.

Thanks Musgo. Since my Camino, I have given short talk in my church about the simplicity of life and how little we need. Traveling with around 4.5kg certainly teaches one that. This Sunday I am doing a full presentation with photos etc as part of Evensong. I have also had an article published in a magazine.
This was a highly religious experience to me and has only served to strengthen my faith :)

I also agree with Rebekah in that we are all allowed our opinions - the art of intelligent debate is being sadly lost. People often misinterpret disagreement as argument and take things personally - I, for one, love a good debate :)

As long as we can keep to discussing the question of running the Camino and keep personal comments private (via the Conversation facility) the thread will stay open.

I for one see no difference in walking at a snail's pace. perambulating, running, cycling, riding on horseback, or carrying or not carrying your pack, or staying at albergues or hotels and all the myriad of other options there are for a pilgrim. We all get to our destination in the way we think right.

Run? Well, good luck with that.

The only regret I had at the end of my first walk on the Way was that I walked too fast! When I go back next month I intend to walk more slowly, and smell a lot more roses....

You're gonna RUN it? Great! You'll be first at the bar! Mine's a pint! :D

Anyway, Buen Camino, whichever way you do it.

€149,-
If you are going to run, don't knock anyone down.

However it is done, it would be nice if personal satisfaction were not the only measure and motive. Walking the Camino used to be something one did not only for oneself, but also for the rest of humanity. It was a Good Thing. Like religious orders who spend their lives praying, not for themselves, but for mankind. Not very logical, I realise, but we are talking a pilgrimage path.

IMO, running would be quite a feat but would not be a great way to experience the Camino. Walking and talking with other pilgrims is part of what makes this journey special . I am a cyclist and love to ride my bike but I would not even consider cycling the Camino. But if you're compelled to run.....run like the wind! : )

Were I younger and fitter there are parts of the Camino I would love to run,this would give me more time in those places that I find more special and inspiring I have great respect for all who "walk the way" be it in part or in total,it matters not how fast or slow they go.God will not judge the way we do our pilgrimage but that we did it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back