• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lisbon Airport to Santa Apolonia Train Station w/ Bike Box's

torreyjames

Time of past OR future Camino
(Plan to bicycle the Camino France/Camino de Santiago in 2014)
Hello again Margaret ;>}.
I feel confident that you will be the guide to my camino... you have answered every question that I have asked so far!
You are indeed a generous and kind soul... my pleasure to make your acquaintance!
My Question:
I will be traveling on a weekday from Lisbon Airport to Saint Apolonia Train Station to catch the SUD expresso to Hendaye in the evening. What is the best way to travel directly to this station with 2 bicycles, or possibly 2 large bike box's.
Buen Camino,
James.
P.S. A silly question... how do you dial out of the U.S. to Portugal?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
James,

From airport to station the distance is approximately 8 k. Look at the various routes drawn on this Google map. I have been in Lisbon but never biked there; biking should be a vibrant experience! Have you inquired about bike boxes on the train? I do not believe that they are required. To call Portugal from the US dial 011 + 351 + local Portuguese telephone number.

Bom caminho,

Margaret Meredith

Hi, James,

I think the quickest way to get to Santa Apolonia from the airport would be by metro. The Lisbon metro now goes to the airport, and though it would be a long-ish ride, and would have two changes, the Lisbon metro is very user friendly (as are the Portuguese people), so I think you would be fine. Bikes are allowed on the metro, no more than two per person. (I've attached a metro map).

I know you asked about Santa Apolonia, but trains also go through the Oriente station, which is a lot closer to the airport. You should check the schedule to see what time you could get it at Oriente.

Buen camino, Laurie Screenshot 2014-04-01 11.53.43.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A quick p.s.

I just checked the Comboio Portugal website for train schedules for the Sud Expresso to Hendaye. It leaves Santa Apolonia at 21:18 and Oriente at 21:27.

If you are going to have a lot of time to kill between arrival into Lisbon and departure on the train, both train stations have luggage storage (what I don't know is whether they will be able to take something as big as a bike or a bike box). If you went straight to Oriente, you could spend the day along the river, going to the oceanarium, eating, sitting at a café, etc. (The Oriente train station is at the Parque das Nacoes, the site of the Lisbon Expo in the 90s, and it is now a huge riverfront park). If you decided you'd rather spend the day in the city, you'd be better advised to take the metro into Santa Apolonia, leave your bikes there, and then hop back on the metro and go two stops to Baixa-Chiado. From there you can visit a lot of Old Lisbon over the course of a few hour stroll, lots of ups and downs, beautiful views, old buildings, castles, etc.

Buen camino, Laurie

Dear Margaret and Laurie...
Thank you for your great 411 on traveling to the "French Way" from Lisbon. I feel confidant that my travels will be greatly easier with help from my newest found friends! Margaret, I've been checking on bringing bike's on the SUD expresso during my free time the last few days (not very much free time) ;>}. And still have no definite answers; I asked the question to "CP" and their answer was ..."We inform that, in the Sud Expresso train, bikes are carried for free, but can only be taken in sleeping cars and no more than two per compartment, so long as the compartments are sold to a single family and the bikes are properly packed and does not exceed 1.2 m x 0.9m." This info helps, however it does not adequately answer my question. The "properly packed" part of the answer leaves me a little concerned, and the dimensions given are about 6" shorter than the bike box's used for Airline travel.
So... I checked with EuroRail; The reply was that I could bring my bikes into the sleeping cars, as long as I could slide them under the bottom 2 bunks. However again they did not know any more information than that. So I will continue on with my inquiries when I can.
I will be posting more questions as I get closer to my June camino... Look forward to hearing from both of you kindred souls.
buen camino,
James Torrey Warner.
P.S. Laurie, I love your idea of a fabulous way to spend a day in Portugal as I smile from ear to ear! I will be looking at those options as well.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Everyone, This second Camino seems to be a go, even though I am far from ready! (1st Camino 2016, 2nd attempted 2019, needed surgery then tried for 2020). I still don't have shoes! Lol I...
Hello, I was trying to plan on catching the 4:00 pm Monbus from Samos to Santiago. I can see from the many reviews online this bus company is not reliable and treats customers terribly (denying...
Hi all! Not sure where to post this (moderators, please feel free to move to the correct section if it’s wrong here). Due to a mess up of the Dutch postal service, the parcel I sent home from...
which is the bus to take to cross the town of Burgos and find yourself on the camino francès to the other side of Burgos? what are the stops where to take the bus in Burgos and where to get off...
I purchased a ticket to Muxía from the Monbus website. The email confirmation has a link to “download ticket”, which takes me to a page on their website with my ticket details. However there is no...
Arrive June 1st in Madrid. The only train I can find gets me to Sarria very late in the evening with a 7 hour layover in Ourense. I am looking to get a taxi, private driver or shared ride to Samos...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back