Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Local actions to address dangerous spots on Invierno

peregrina2000

Staff member
This article in La Región.es interviews a local official who describes more improved routing on dangerous sections between Barco and A Rúa. I know that some who walked last year reported that a chunk of the road walk into A Rúa has been taken off the side of the road. It looks like there are some more improvements being made.

This is of course a good development, I think we can all agree that enhanced safety is a positive. But I think it is also a great indicator that the days of the Invierno being a backwater untraveled camino are coming to an end. Until a few years ago, very few people in these towns even knew there was a camino going through them. I was hugged in 2015 by a woman in a village who had never seen a pilgrim. To think that towns are spending some serious money to make the camino safe for pilgrims means that they believe that pilgrims are more than a flash in the pan.

So in some ways I’m torn — will the Invierno become like the Francés, 90% gravel paths wide enough to drive a car on? We have seen this coming, it will be so interesting to see how it goes this coming camino season.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So in some ways I’m torn — will the Invierno become like the Francés, 90% gravel paths wide enough to drive a car on? We have seen this coming, it will be so interesting to see how it goes this coming camino season.
Hopefully it won't get that popular - but it would be nice if there were more "last 100km" choices for all the short distance pilgrims to help alleviate some of the crowds on other paths. It is sad that most 100km folks do Sarria to Santiago and that they aren't more spread out over alternate paths.

And yes - always good to see improvements! Invierno is on my future Camino wish list.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's great that they are watching for opportunities to make continual improvements. I don't remember any particular dangers in that area, but I took the new path that was discussed in this post/thread. I understand that the route along the highway was rather hazardous.

It's great that they are watching for opportunities to make continual improvements. I don't remember any particular dangers in that area, but I took the new path that was discussed in this post/thread. I understand that the route along the highway was rather hazardous.
The article I linked to actually has a video showing some of the spots that are still reported to be dangerous. I would not compare any of the stretch from Barco to A Rúa to have been anywhere near as dangerous as the walk from Cáceres to Casar de Cáceres on a workday early in the morning, for instance, or an old stage on the Salvador, or one on the Lebañiego (all of which have more pilgrims than the Invierno), so it does seem like they are really jumping in to get ahead of the problem. And I’m sure that the people responsible for these improvements are wildly hopeful that they will trigger a huge increase in pilgrim traffic. On that question, my opinion has always been that once you have a good albergue system, the pilgrims will come, irrespective of whether there are dangerous spots or not. But I digress …

God, I sure hope not.
But it's very good to know that part has been re-routed. It was pretty scary in 2019: a two lane heavily trafficked road with no appreciable shoulder, fast cars, a blind curve, and a drop-off on the traffic- facing side. There was a low curb, but nowhere to go but down on the other side of that.
20190606_125746.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
a two lane heavily trafficked road with no appreciable shoulder, fast cars, a blind curve, and a drop-off on the traffic- facing side. There was a low curb, but nowhere to go but down on the other side of that.

I will be very happy to miss that experience!

I completed the Invierno last week (start 24/8, completed 2/9/23) I recall the section of road pictured. Some stages did involve tarmac and some differed from my OSM track. Overall I had no issues with traffic. In the whole 10 days I encountered 6 other pilgrims ( 2 Spanish who I think stopped at Monteforte de Lemos, 2 French who were for most part 1 day ahead of me and 2 further Spanish who I caught up with on my last day and may have come off the Sanabres). Clearly this is still an "undeveloped" Camino.
A Camino that is hard work in places but very rewarding to walk.
Don.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
Peñalba de Santiago with its 10C untouched Mozarabic church and its traditional stone houses with slate roofs and dark wooden balconies is a real gem (and don’t forget the hermit cave of San...
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...
How about a 24 km, 600 m elevation gain alternative? @Charrito started this whole thing by pointing out that there is a very interesting, abandoned old Pazo on the other side of the river from O...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back