• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lodging for Six pilgrims

Chino

Time of past OR future Camino
Going from Oporto to Santiago on Sept 9th, 2023
I will be walking from Porto-Santiago with my partner, my two daughter along with their partners. We will leave Porto in September 10th and wondering if Albergues have family rooms like the Camino Francais. Any suggestions for lodging for 6?
Chino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Check Gronze for the size of dormitories. Some places I stayed had rooms for smaller numbers, six or eight. I don't remember them being labelled as family rooms, but I don't remember seeing any called that on the CF either.

I have just walked the coastal five persons and have recommendations for exactly this! Please get in touch if you want to see our accommodation list. My mail is (removed by a moderator, best to send a PM on the forum. Hover over a username and select "Start Conversation")

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You definitely need to phone ahead -- 6 pilgrims + is considered as a "group", and so is covered by particular rules.

Having said that, in Portugal, such family pilgrim groups are more common than in Spain, so you shouldn't have too many problems -- provided you phone ahead.

Another place to check may be airBnB type accommodations...sometimes when traveling with several people I have found them to be cheaper than the per person rate at some hostels...

What a dream come true with a third camino! I really hope I will be in your physical condition when I turn 74!

I walked Camino Portugués in October 2022 and booked places because we walked as a group (my three adult kids and one son in law). Usually I never book on the camino, but being a group we preferred five person rooms. Here is our stages with links to and comments on the places we stayed. We chose a combination of albergues, private homes and a monastery. I recommend you book as soon as possible as it can be challenging to find room for six persons together.

We walked the Portuguese coastal route from Santa Maria de Oia, included the Variante Espiritual (fabulous part of ther Portuguese Camino!) and ended in Santiago after nine days.

To get an overview of this camino I suggest you start by bying the Wisely/Wise Pilgrim app. A great tool with overview of all services and accommodation. It has booking links too.

Santa Maria de Oia
We stayed at La Cala Inn. Great rooms and a warm hearted place. View of the beach and the monastery from both rooms. We booked a 3 person room and a two person room. Book by mail to lacalainn@gmail.com. Pay cash. Calle Laurel Or, Rúa do Loureiro, 22, 36794 Santa Maria de Oia, Pontevedra, Spain

Santa Maria de Oia - Baiona 24 km
We stayed at albergue Estela do Mar - Great place very central. We booked a flat with a 3 person room and a two person room. I think is has room for six persons as well.

Half way between Santa Maria de Oia and Baiona there is a wonderful local restaurant – you probably need to call ahead if you want a table at restaurant Os Da Ponte.

Baiona - Vigo 27 km
We booked a large AirBnb – a family apartment https://www.airbnb.dk/rooms/4361064...share_id=6a3af9b6-1885-44d9-8ba5-762df0bedfb6. Vigo is a lot of asphalt and not very charming, but nice views.

Vigo - Pontevedra 30 km
We stayed at Casa a Grade, a tiny wine farm in the countryside. You have a whole little hut to yourself. Check if they can arrange room for six - we were five. Book by email to casaagrade44@gmail.com. See the place here: https://es-l.airbnb.com/rooms/18288800?source_impression_id=p3_1687155048_QYvkdWAyIxmjBNH0 and here https://es-l.airbnb.com/rooms/18270425?source_impression_id=p3_1687155102_w1jU/4IlXWwhFzU9
We shortened this day by taking a taxi out of all Vigos asphalt with a local man called Santi. He has a taxi with room for six persons. Here lives on the camino and is extremely helpful: +34 646 44 80 15. Write him on Whats App.

Pontevedra - Armenteira 20 km
We stayed at the monastery. Must stay and wonderful pilgrim mass! We booked a 3 person room and a two person room. Book by email long time ahead to hospederia@monasteriodearmenteira.es

Armenteira - Vilanova de Arousa 24 km
We stayed at albergue A Salazon - we booked a six person room right by the sea. 18 euro per person. Important: This place communicates via the app called Whats. It is important to have this app when on the camino – it is used for emails and calls.

Vilanova de Arousa - Padrón 3 km
Short rest day by boat – remember to book boat tickets the day before.
Sooo nice appartment called Casa Traviesas right above a small ice bar. The family owners are Italian and make wonderful pizzas around the cormer. https://www.booking.com/Share-vK9eEW

Padrón - Milladoiro 19 km
At the nice rather new albergue O Milladoiro https://www.booking.com/Share-08zgvJ they have a six person room you can book.

Milladoiro - Santiago 7 km
I strongly recommend the Albergue KM-0 in Santiago. It is 100 meter from the cathedral, has a garden and six person rooms. Otherwise you could try the pilgrims rooms in the old monastery San Martin Pinario. They are old school charming and not renovated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you so much for the info. I’m sure we’ll have split up a few times but all this is so helpful.

Another place to check may be airBnB type accommodations...sometimes when traveling with several people I have found them to be cheaper than the per person rate at some hostels...
Thanks for the info. I think airBnB might be a good alternative.

We were a party of 5. Did Porto to Santiago. In mid May this year. We had pre booked our first three nights months before we began our Camino. From there on we relied on Air BnB. We rented apartments along the way. Cost was very efficient n we all got our own rooms.
Less stress
Less hassle

Bom Caminho

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
What a wonderful day walking by the sea! My backpack felt good, my dry bag with poncho strategically clipped to the outside was handy! My first stop was in a bakery cafe near the mouth of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back