• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lodging in Finieyrols

petitewalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014 fall), Camino Portuguese (fall 2017)
Four of us will be walking this route in June. We plan to stay around Finieyrols on June 11th which is also my birthday. It appears the lodging options are La Rose de L’ Aubrac or Gite Les Gentianes. They both get very mixed reviews. Anyone on this forum have experience with either one of them. Thanks for the input

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
the lodging options are La Rose de L’ Aubrac or Gite Les Gentianes. They both get very mixed reviews.
I haven't stayed in either establishment, but I am a very frequent TripAdvisor reviewer. On TripAdvisor, you will always find mixed reviews (people will complain that the Ritz-Carlton is too pricey, or the remotely located basic hiker hostel has too few services). The review Statistics on La Rose are actually quite good.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I highly recommend Rose de l'Aubrac! I stayed there in late 2016. Very comfortable, colorful room with private bath, at a very reasonable price. But the best part was the fabulous shared meal, a two-and-a-half hour affair, with course after course of fantastic food. We were lucky to dine with a very jolly group of French walkers. One of the more memorable places I stayed on the Le Puy route.

I stayed at Rose de l'Aubrac and also highly recommend it. I was there in July of last year. The space was lovely. And the food -- !!

I stayed in the dorm on the second floor, but got a peek at the private rooms and they were just as lovely.

Our meal: veggie soup, salad, mushroom quiche, potato/cheese casserole with creme fraiche and garlic. Dessert of bread pudding. Breakfast: French toast, orange cake of some sort, other baked things, OJ, etc. All served around a square table downstairs, with the kitchen in view. Also in the dining room are pictures of the renovation of the building.

I found the owners to be quiet when I first arrived. But at the meal times, we engaged with them and they were very nice and welcoming. (I speak French, as did all staying there that night, so I don't recall if they know English.)

The next day, I met folks who had stayed in the other Gite and when they heard about ours they wished they had stayed at La Rose instead.

I stayed last night in the Chambre d’Hote part of Gite les Gentianes. Large room with a shared bath. The single bed was so-so in the comfort department. Dinner was very good. Breakfast was modest, which is pretty typical. The proprietors were very helpful and accommodating. It’s not The Ritz, but I give it high marks.
All the best.
P.S. The beer was cold!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would recommend Rose de l'Aubrac. I stayed there in 2015 and wrote about it on Trip Advisor.

I would recommend Rose de l'Aubrac. I stayed there in 2015 and wrote about it on Trip Advisor.[/QUOTE
Thanks for all the responses. There are four of us, so I booked in Rose de l’Aubrac. It will be my birthday, so I am looking forward to a great meal.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.