• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • āš ļø Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

London to Walsingham

Time of past OR future Camino
Next Camino Ingles Ferrol
Off I pop again, embarking on yet another UK pilgrimage- there are so many to choose from šŸ„° I have now started 3, plus a cycling one šŸ«£

Of course I decided on the hottest day of late summer to start my little journey. Makes complete sense, who doesnā€™t like to swelter in 30+ degree heat?

Having ran away from a meditation retreat, I had a sleepless night and decided some me time was in order. I made my way to Moorgate first, mistaking it for Monument and got to the church of St Magnus the Martyr 10 mins before mass began. I was ushered in by the greeter at the door where I came upon many a men dressed in full clergy finery.

Uncomfortable as I always am with ā€˜The Instituteā€™ I fumbled my way into asking around for a pilgrim stamp to start my day off. They were terribly nice and wished me on my merry way as I kept apologising for my terrible timing.

IMG_2590.jpeg

I do love me a stamp! Itā€™s official, Iā€™m walking.

Who doesnā€™t love a walk that starts along a river? I mean thatā€™s half the battle nipped in the bud right there, no need to navigate! The time was 11am and it was blisteringly hot already, and I was walking east, no sunnies, no hat. Tsk, tsk, yes I hadnā€™t planned this at all well.

The first part of the walk was lovely, I still get surprised at how enjoyable this soon to be painful endeavour is in the moment. First a section on the Thames path, go past the Tower of London (never been) then through the quiet residential streets of Wapping, passing a yacht or two. Iā€™ve been in London all my life and Iā€™ve seen nothing!

IMG_2582.jpeg

I thought this little road took me back to the Thames, alas no, it was a smelly alley way.

The next stage is along many a canals and parks. Regents Canal, Victoria Park, Hertford Union Canal and finally River Lee Navigation. I suddenly got a sense of deja vu, I had done this before but in the opposite direction. It was one of my training walks for Porto to SDC. I wanted to hit 25km but gave up around 17km and treated my sore feet to a bus ride home šŸ¤£

IMG_2588.jpeg

Today, I treated myself to a 99 mmmmmm.

I had already determined that I was only going to go as far as Tottenham, that would break an unbelievably long day for me (28.5km) into something like 15/13. Boy was the last bit hard! I kept thinking it must be less than an hour, and that hour took forever! The lock finally came into view at around 3:30.

All in all, a lovely walk, very varied even though I was predominantly along water. I thought it had a little bit of everything. And I actually like pounding concrete, itā€™s predictable and my wobbly ankles prefer it. There was even a section in Wapping that brought back memories of all the cobblestones in Portugal!

Sigh- not sure when the next day is happening but knowing me Iā€™ll be unprepared and just tootle off on a whim.

Total walking time was around 4 hours, total distance around 16km. Pretty standard for me, keeping to my 4km per hour. Total overall time was around 5 hours.

Here are a couple of heavily altered pictures. If you donā€™t have it, fake it. Until next time

IMG_2587.jpeg
IMG_2586.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Off I pop again, embarking on yet another UK pilgrimage- there are so many to choose from šŸ„° I have now started 3, plus a cycling one šŸ«£

Of course I decided on the hottest day of late summer to start my little journey. Makes complete sense, who doesnā€™t like to swelter in 30+ degree heat?

Having ran away from a meditation retreat, I had a sleepless night and decided some me time was in order. I made my way to Moorgate first, mistaking it for Monument and got to the church of St Magnus the Martyr 10 mins before mass began. I was ushered in by the greeter at the door where I came upon many a men dressed in full clergy finery.

Uncomfortable as I always am with ā€˜The Instituteā€™ I fumbled my way into asking around for a pilgrim stamp to start my day off. They were terribly nice and wished me on my merry way as I kept apologising for my terrible timing.

View attachment 156162

Who doesnā€™t love a walk that starts along a river? I mean thatā€™s half the battle nipped in the bud right there, no need to navigate! The time was 11am and it was blisteringly hot already, and I was walking east, no sunnies, no hat. Tsk, tsk, yes I hadnā€™t planned this at all well.

The first part of the walk was lovely, I still get surprised at how enjoyable this soon to be painful endeavour is in the moment. First a section on the Thames path, go past the Tower of London (never been) then through the quiet residential streets of Wapping, passing a yacht or two. Iā€™ve been in London all my life and Iā€™ve seen nothing!

View attachment 156163

I thought this little road took me back to the Thames, alas no, it was a smelly alley way.

The next stage is along many a canals and parks. Regents Canal, Victoria Park, Hertford Union Canal and finally River Lee Navigation. I suddenly got a sense of deja vu, I had done this before but in the opposite direction. It was one of my training walks for Porto to SDC. I wanted to hit 25km but gave up around 17km and treated my sore feet to a bus ride home šŸ¤£

View attachment 156164

I had already determined that I was only going to go as far as Tottenham, that would break an unbelievably long day for me (28.5km) into something like 15/13. Boy was the last bit hard! I kept thinking it must be less than an hour, and that hour took forever! The lock finally came into view at around 3:30.

All in all, a lovely walk, very varied even though I was predominantly along water. I thought it had a little bit of everything. And I actually like pounding concrete, itā€™s predictable and my wobbly ankles prefer it. There was even a section in Wapping that brought back memories of all the cobblestones in Portugal!

Sigh- not sure when the next day is happening but knowing me Iā€™ll be unprepared and just tootle off on a whim.

Total walking time was around 4 hours, total distance around 16km. Pretty standard for me, keeping to my 4km per hour. Total overall time was around 5 hours.

Here are a couple of heavily altered pictures. If you donā€™t have it, fake it. Until next time

View attachment 156165
View attachment 156166

View attachment 156162

View attachment 156163

View attachment 156164

View attachment 156165
View attachment 156166
Yummy ice cream too! Yesā€” temps have been scorching over thereā€” till your next day - please post again šŸ‘šŸ»

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Day 2: Tottenham Hale to Broxbourne. Approx 20km

Well the forecast was for heavy rain and winds and I thought that it might just bring back memories of walking the Ingles at the start of the month šŸ¤£ I decided to head off. If not, Iā€™d have only sat and watched more TV.

I didnā€™t dress for the Camino, just my normal clothes and an umbrella. I got to Tottenham just before 11am, I thought I would make it to Waltham Abbey by 2 and Broxbourne before dark.

The path was wet, very wet, it wasnā€™t unpleasant but it wasnā€™t as peaceful as I would like. I had to concentrate to avoid all the puddles and then get out of the way for all the cyclists. Itā€™s definitely less busy than the first stretch which I appreciated.

It also didnā€™t rain! Not one bit, I was annoyed at having the umbrella but in the end I did lean on it for a bit.

Being dressed in normal clothes meant I overheated almost straightaway! Ending up putting my parka in my bag and it only came out when I took a long break.

Waltham Abbey Church is pretty beautiful and supposedly the Saxon King of England is laid to rest there, somewhere. There is a stamp in the church though itā€™s kept in the back and you have to find someone to ask for it. There are some lovely grounds here but I didnā€™t have time to explore.

After a few minutes I headed back to the path, more easy walking along the River Lee Navigation. I had a train booked just before 4pm back to London so I hurried along and got there with 15 minutes to spare.

Iā€™m sure walking along the canals can be a nice experience but I think Iā€™m over it. The paths are too narrow, I hate cyclists ringing their bell at me. I canā€™t wait for this route to leave the canals and get me on a country road or field!

No exciting pictures, but I did come across this barge which I thought was poetic!

IMG_2953.jpeg

Day 2: Tottenham Hale to Broxbourne. Approx 20km

Well the forecast was for heavy rain and winds and I thought that it might just bring back memories of walking the Ingles at the start of the month šŸ¤£ I decided to head off. If not, Iā€™d have only sat and watched more TV.

I didnā€™t dress for the Camino, just my normal clothes and an umbrella. I got to Tottenham just before 11am, I thought I would make it to Waltham Abbey by 2 and Broxbourne before dark.

The path was wet, very wet, it wasnā€™t unpleasant but it wasnā€™t as peaceful as I would like. I had to concentrate to avoid all the puddles and then get out of the way for all the cyclists. Itā€™s definitely less busy than the first stretch which I appreciated.

It also didnā€™t rain! Not one bit, I was annoyed at having the umbrella but in the end I did lean on it for a bit.

Being dressed in normal clothes meant I overheated almost straightaway! Ending up putting my parka in my bag and it only came out when I took a long break.

Waltham Abbey Church is pretty beautiful and supposedly the Saxon King of England is laid to rest there, somewhere. There is a stamp in the church though itā€™s kept in the back and you have to find someone to ask for it. There are some lovely grounds here but I didnā€™t have time to explore.

After a few minutes I headed back to the path, more easy walking along the River Lee Navigation. I had a train booked just before 4pm back to London so I hurried along and got there with 15 minutes to spare.

Iā€™m sure walking along the canals can be a nice experience but I think Iā€™m over it. The paths are too narrow, I hate cyclists ringing their bell at me. I canā€™t wait for this route to leave the canals and get me on a country road or field!

No exciting pictures, but I did come across this barge which I thought was poetic!

View attachment 160235
I can see how walking n the Canals can @get oldā€¦ with cyclists speeding byā€¦šŸ„“ā€-
Too cold I imagine for ice cream?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl
Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.