• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lonesome Trail???

Oceanroc7

Hello any pilgrims out there,

I am starting my second leg of the Via de la Plata on August 7th this year, walking from Peublo de Sanabria to Muxia via Santiago (of course via Santiago - it would be weird if I avoided the great mecca itself!). Only 3 weeks away! I walked from Seville to Merida with my husband in April this year and got hooked.

I am quite happy to walk alone and have been learning Spanish to assist my independence , but I am wondering if anyone else at all will be walking in that neck of the woods at that time if year. The Camino Calendar is empty...Will the VdlP be empty too?????

I am more curious than alarmed at the prospect of solitude but I am not a huge fan of empty albergues, having stayed in an empty bothy in the middle of nowhere (well the Highlands of Scotland) last April when I walked The Cape Wrath Trail. It was possible the spookiest (and dampest) night of my life.

If anyone is walking north from Pueblo at that time please drop some (biodegradable) litter to give me hope that I am not completely solo. I promise to pick it up and dispose of it in an environmentally friendly manner.
And yes I know I am loco to walk at that time of the year!

Rachel aka Oceanroc :wink:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last August, the Via de la Plata was the fifth most popular camino, with about 46 pilgrims per day. The September arrivals, when most pilgrims will have started in August, were about 29 pilgrims per day. You won't be alone, but it won't be busy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for your prompt and helpful replies Falcon and John.

So no spooky deserted albergues this time!
My heart is lighter.

Rachel

I wouldn't be worried in the slightest. I rode the VDLP in April, and once Easter was completed, and all the Spanish had gone home, the trails were emptier but the albergues were always nearly full every night.

One question, why are you not picking up from where you left off? You are missing an awful lot of the trail from Merida to Peublo de Sanabria

falcon269 said:
Last August, the Via de la Plata was the fifth most popular camino, with about 46 pilgrims per day. The September arrivals, when most pilgrims will have started in August, were about 29 pilgrims per day. You won't be alone, but it won't be busy.

Alas pilgrims numbers rarely work out in averages. If they did even 29 pilgrims per day arriving in some of the small places on the Via de la Plata with only one albergue would be considered very busy indeed!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the VdlP in April/May last year and it was fairly quiet until I reached Orense, which is around 100km from SdC. Then it got busy!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

... one albergue would be considered very busy indeed!
Busy at that albergue for sure, but not crowded. :D

Crowded is a thousand pilgrims a day on the last stretch of the Camino Frances! Even if there are beds for everyone, it is crowded, on the path, at the bars, at the restaurants, and at the showers. Statistics are just broad indicators. The August arrivals mostly started in July; August starters may be in the September arrival statistics. The numbers can give a general picture, but on any given day at any give albergue, the busy-ness is hard to predict. Knowing it has rained on six days in September the previous year does not say anything about when it will rain this September. Ditto the number of pilgrims. Knowing the approximate number of pilgrims per day allows one to look at the accommodation capability and predict a problem. If there are forty pilgrims a day and a town has only eight beds, it would be reasonable to have a backup plan for staying in that town. If everyone passes that town, one will have his choice of eight beds! If there are only eight pilgrims a day, then there is a good chance of finding a bed unless there is triple the average crowd, which can happen.

Buen camino.

I've walked the whole trail in several chunks in Nov., March and then Sept./Oct., and I'm starting all over again this fall. There were never a ton of people when I walked, but usually plenty for company. However, I did sometimes feel like the only one out there. If you happen to come upon an empty albergue one night and don't want to spend the night alone, I'd book a room at a pension or casa rural instead. There are many lovely ones along the way.

Melanie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the helpful info everyone.

In answer to Davroos's question" why are you not picking up from where you left off?" I am led to understand the temperature in August between Merida and Salamanca is likely to be just hideous. I thought I would start further north and get to the sea, where I can get some spiritual healing and maybe go for a cold swim in the Atlantic!

The other alternative, starting (at Merida) and ending (somewhere near Salamana or Zamora) in temperatures likely to be approaching 40 deg C didn't appeal to this pale-skinned English lady (who wilts in the heat at the best of times...)

I will fill in the gap one easter (I am a school teacher :cry: ).

Oh for retirement when I can walk the whole thing in one go without having to worry about going back to work!!!

Rachel

That is a fair answer

I like you am not retired so walked the smaller ones, but I rode the VDLP, and even though I missed the camaraderie of walking with others, I really enjoyed doing this route.

It was really nice from Merida, and when you do walk it, even though there are some huge distances, to me the nothingness was amazing

I will be walking from Granada mid September so expect to be on the Sanabres mid November. I expect to not meet many pilgrims ( although I would love to meet some ), but I am wondering if there are any statistics as to how many Pilgrims arrived in Santiago in November 2011, especially those who arrived via The Sanabres. I would like to think I won't be completely alone !! When I walked The Frances in 2009 I remember the many Pilgrims on the trail, especially as I arrived in Santiago at the end of October. Is the Pilgrim office open every day in November? JohnnyWalker , I am looking for your guidance !!

Anyway, I tell myself " miracles do happen ", and I might even find another Pilgrim on The Mozarabe !!

Sandra.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola - the Pilgrims Office is open:

Monday to Sunday 9.00 – 21.00 (In summer: from Palm Sunday to 31 October).

Monday to Sunday 10.00 – 20.00 (In winter: from 1 November to Palm Sunday). Please note that in winter on Sundays and Festivals the office is closed from 2 – 4pm.

The Pilgrims’ Office is open during these hours every day of the year with the EXCEPTION of Christmas Day – 25 December, and New Year’s Day – 1 January. If you complete your pilgrimage on these days your Compostela can be obtained in the Cathedral.

I'm not in the Office today but will try to remember tomorrow to look at the November 2011 figures for pilgrims arriving on the Via de la Plata - there will be some!

I walked the VdlP in April/May, but understand that the southern states like Extremadurra are just that...Extreme in the summer. I have also heard that some of the Albergues, say south of Zamora, close in July and August because the number of pilgrims drops right off.

But in May, the route Sanabres is beautiful and very green. I think it would be a powerful experience in August... brown, and dusty, and the mountains? (hills) very beautiful. I would take lots of water each day and some electrolyte salts to replenish what gets sweated out.

The electrolytes I bought were little pouches of powder, to be mixed with water. "Gastrolyte" as it was called is given to people who become dehydrated due to diarrhea. But dehydration is dehydration, regardless of the cause. I buy it in packages of 10 pouches from the chemist(pharmacy)

As I mentioned before, the hill walking is excellent, but down in the valley bottoms, it appears the camino is not on an authentic route. It seems to follow the seams between land owners, and zig-zags without always being well posted.

Sunglasses, a wide brimmed hat, loose fitting long sleeved shirt and long pants are a must.
Have a great trip.
Enjoy your walk.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Thanks for your top David from Victoria.
The weather has just changed for the better in southern England,with temperatures jumping from 15 tot 25/26 degrees C in a matter of days.
I, along with half of Britain (probably), now have mild sunburn on my arms.
And this heat is nothing compared to the potential exposure of Spain in August, so your suggestion of a long-sleeved shirt if well-timed.

I am also interested in your advice about electrolytes. I have never sweated enough for this to be a cause for concern, but might have to think about it this time.

Thanks very much for your encouragement and advice David from Victoria.

I shall be posting photos and comments along the way from my HTC phone to my blog at this address:
http://www.majorforms.com/members/oceanroc

It is currently very embryonic and a work in progress but will be sorted out before I go if you want to see whether I survive or not!!

Rachel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks JohnnieWalker for the info re VDLP Stats. Hopefully numbers will be similar this November and I will have some company after Merida and onto The Sanabres.

Sandra.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...
Hi there I am on my final Countdown to Seville three more days. Reading in the forum I became aware that I haven't got a clue were to get the credentials do I have to order it from Ivar or can I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back