A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Long legs

I've never tried this long a walk before, done lots of day hikes and stuff, but never something like this, and I was wondering what it was like doing 40-50 kms in a day. Is it possible? I'm in good physical shape, but not quite sure what kind of long distances I'm able to travel on a regular basis.

Advertisment

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
In 2002 when I walked the camino Frances with two friends (74yrs & 56yrs) we managed ± 30kms per day very comfortably and didn't feel as though we were missing out on any of the sights. Many churches, museums - even shops - close between 12pm and 4pm for siesta anyway so we just ambled on until we decided to stop. We are all used to walking marathons and ultra-marathons so 30kms was easy for us.
Some pilgrims who were doing 15km to 20kms a day thought we were crazy! But, it is all relative to your fitness level, what you are used to walking and what is comfortable for the individual.
There were a few pilgrims who race-walked past us - doing up to 60kms per day. We thought they were crazy!!
Let your body dictate how fast or how far to walk. You will soon get into a rhythm and when you are in your 'Zone' you will be surprised at how easy the walking becomes.
Just don't rush it and injure yourself.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.6%