• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Live on the Camino for one year

dadaperegrino

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 - Camino Francés
I believe many of us, Camino lovers, had this thought at least once in their life: “wouldn’t it be nice to live on the Camino? To break free from societal conventions and just live and breathe what we love everyday? Perhaps by helping other pilgrims and making the Camino a better place?”

I must confess life has brought me to a place where I have this thought a lot. I value happiness and experiences over money and I know that when I am on the Camino I am a better person.
So I began asking myself whether it would be possible to take a sabbatical and live on the Caminos.
Maybe be an hospitalero in different places, help pilgrims, study more the history of the Camino. I speak fluently Italian and Spanish, I also have decent level of Portuguese and French. Surely these would help.

But where do I start? Is it really possible?

I’d love to hear your thoughts or stories on this. Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would suggest contacting one of the organizations that provide services on the Camino like FICS. Look up a German pilgrim named Oliver Kliot, he has been "homeless" wandering the Camino for years serving as an excellent hospitalero and spending winters refurbishing and painting albergues. Bruno in Moratinos might help you find him.

I would suggest contacting one of the organizations that provide services on the Camino like FICS. Look up a German pilgrim named Oliver Kliot, he has been "homeless" wandering the Camino for years serving as an excellent hospitalero and spending winters refurbishing and painting albergues. Bruno in Moratinos might help you find him.
Thanks! Just to clarify, are you suggesting I reach out to FICS, explain my wish and ask to be put in touch with the above mentioned people? :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As I see you are from the Netherlands, I would suggest contacting the Jacobsgenootschap. (or maybe you have already done this, I don't know)

They have two working groups for (potential) hospitalero's: one for Roncesvalles, and one for other albergues (in Spain, but also in other countries).

Last edited:
I believe many of us, Camino lovers, had this thought at least once in their life: “wouldn’t it be nice to live on the Camino? To break free from societal conventions and just live and breathe what we love everyday? Perhaps by helping other pilgrims and making the Camino a better place?”

I must confess life has brought me to a place where I have this thought a lot. I value happiness and experiences over money and I know that when I am on the Camino I am a better person.
So I began asking myself whether it would be possible to take a sabbatical and live on the Caminos.
Maybe be an hospitalero in different places, help pilgrims, study more the history of the Camino. I speak fluently Italian and Spanish, I also have decent level of Portuguese and French. Surely these would help.

The Madrid friends of the Camino website, https://demadridalcamino.com/quienes-somos/. says that they provide more hospitaleros than any other organisation. Perhaps you can contact them via their website.

Thanks! Just to clarify, are you suggesting I reach out to FICS, explain my wish and ask to be put in touch with the above mentioned people? :)
No, I would go about making separate contacts to each party. They are in no way connected. You have since received some very good contact information.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Phil and I have met more than one person living on the Camino. Most with limited means.. It seems glamorous, but I think it would be a hard life, especially if you become ill or get an injury. If you want to be a full time hospitalero, that could also be interesting, but it is generally hard work. Not a lot of time off for your own walking, etc.

If you are as young as your photo might imply, yes, of course it is really possible! Unequivocally.
The practical suggestions above are all worth pursuing.
Do you have more holiday time coming up? You could use it to explore the options either by going physically to discuss it with specific people/organisations, and/or arrange zooms to tease it out.
Another separate pair of albergues is run by the UK St James' Confraternity, they also might appreciate a presence off season...
Hosvol is another fantastic source, they arrange to send hospitaleros to albergues, and arrange trainings. https://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/comun/portal.asp
Wishing you well.
I add a comment I saw earlier today...the second quote.
Post in thread 'Family Guy, or not'
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/family-guy-or-not.82905/post-1178965

If it is really your Heart’s desire and a part of your true purpose then it will happen. Absolutely.
Just ‘start starting’ and follow the energy. You will know if this is right for you. And in pursuing this dream you may find something completely different. Who knows ….
As my dear Mum used to say - do things when you are young and when you can. She always said yes when I asked her if I should go on my next seemingly outlandish adventure.
I wish you good fortune and Buen Camino.
❤️🙏👏

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back