• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long time listener, first time caller!

Austinhikes

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hey everyone I’m Austin!! I’ve casually read posts on this forum… mainly gear posts because I’m a gear nerd 😂

I’m from Ontario Canada, I’m a hiking and backpacking addict and the Camino has been on my radar for a long time but the calling has gotten pretty strong for me to finally commit. I’ve decided on the Camino Frances and a starting location in SJPP in May 2023 , fights and such will be booked later this year and planning to book the first three nights and wing it after that .

it will be a solo trek for me but looking forward to meeting to new friends!!
Austin

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are a number of chapters of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims (www.santiago.ca) in Ontario, some of which have chapter FB sites; you might find it interesting to meet with veteran pilgrims on one of their training walks-- they are a great source of useful tips.
Thanks for the info, I’ll check out their website. I’m not on FB as I really limit my social media.. it was a big leap for me coming here 😂 I work at a xc ski club in the winter so that will definitely be my training as I usually ski upwards of 600 km a season plus some snowshoeing.. but I’m definitely up for meeting like minded individuals

Hola @Austinhikes First a very warm welcome to being a participating forum member. Even though you will start out "walking solo" I feel fairly confident that you will find a number of new Camino Pilgrim friends. All pilgrims walk at different speeds; take long lunches, or extra days but don't worry you are in for the adventure of a life time. Just remember "cafe con leche"(coffee with milk) if you want your coffee black then its a cafe americano. Two beers is dos cervezas (grande if you want them large). Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola @Austinhikes First a very warm welcome to being a participating forum member. Even though you will start out "walking solo" I feel fairly confident that you will find a number of new Camino Pilgrim friends. All pilgrims walk at different speeds; take long lunches, or extra days but don't worry you are in for the adventure of a life time. Just remember "cafe con leche"(coffee with milk) if you want your coffee black then its a cafe americano. Two beers is dos cervezas (grande if you want them large). Buen Camino
Thanks for the warm welcome and info , the coffee with milk will come in handy 😂… I’m fuelled by coffee so I definitely appreciate the advice.

You will find that solo walking is a bit of a mixed term….you may start on your own, but you shall find people that inspire and enhance the way frequently. Not to say you will be crowded or pestered…just that you will find people you look forward to seeing at the end of a day, over a cold beer or wine.
I had my ‘plan’ to just do the Camino, happy in having just my wife. I was surprised to find that group expanded significantly, and since 2015 I still am in touch with people!
Enjoy your Camino.

You will find that solo walking is a bit of a mixed term….you may start on your own, but you shall find people that inspire and enhance the way frequently. Not to say you will be crowded or pestered…just that you will find people you look forward to seeing at the end of a day, over a cold beer or wine.
I had my ‘plan’ to just do the Camino, happy in having just my wife. I was surprised to find that group expanded significantly, and since 2015 I still am in touch with people!
Enjoy your Camino.
Thanks 😊 … The Camino is a big change for me as I’m used to wilderness trails but I’m excited about the social aspect of this journey. It will be a nice change

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings! I’m Mistie from Eastern Washington and I’ll be starting on the 20th from SJPP. Im… having all the feelings. Excited, nervous, happy, terrified a bit. I’ve done some training and not enough training. Can’t wait to start my journey!

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings! I’m Mistie from Rastern Washington and I’ll be starting on the 20th from SJPP. Im… having all the feelings. Excited, nervous, happy, terrified a bit. I’ve done some training and not enough training. Can’t wait to start my journey!
I assume your starting this year ? Or 2023?

Regardless , all those feelings you have are totally natural . I’ve done a bunch of long distance trails here in North America and I always get those feelings. Once you get in the groove… your golden!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey everyone I’m Austin!! I’ve casually read posts on this forum… mainly gear posts because I’m a gear nerd 😂

I’m from Ontario Canada, I’m a hiking and backpacking addict and the Camino has been on my radar for a long time but the calling has gotten pretty strong for me to finally commit. I’ve decided on the Camino Frances and a starting location in SJPP in May 2023 , fights and such will be booked later this year and planning to book the first three nights and wing it after that .

it will be a solo trek for me but looking forward to meeting to new friends!!
Austin
All the best Austin….All the best🙏🏼

Greetings! I’m Mistie from Eastern Washington and I’ll be starting on the 20th from SJPP. Im… having all the feelings. Excited, nervous, happy, terrified a bit. I’ve done some training and not enough training. Can’t wait to start my journey!
Buen Camino!
If you'd like you can add yourself to the list of those starting in May by clicking here.

We'll be a few weeks ahead of you. Buen Camino
Hi Anamiri, my best friend (who just happens to be a Kiwi), and I are starting our 1st Camino late April 2023, after delaying it from September last year. Hopefully we'll meet you along The Way somewhere.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Anamiri, my best friend (who just happens to be a Kiwi), and I are starting our 1st Camino late April 2023, after delaying it from September last year. Hopefully we'll meet you along The Way somewhere.

Buen Camino
I'm always surprised how many NZ'ers and Australians we meet. I put the flag on my pack and other kiwis recognise it. Its a year away, but I'm already excited.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.