• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost Dog

Nichola

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk Camino Del Norde in June 2016 - starting in Santandar.
walking from Gontan to Villalba today I was accompanied the whole way with a young dog. Apparently he arrived in Gontan with pilgrims this morning who he had followed from God knows where. He's here in Gontan sleeping at the minute. I'm just after feeding him. If anyone a few towns before Gontan hear or see posters of a missing pooch this could be him. I would get a taxi to bring him back to where he belongs if necessary. I can mind him no problem only thing is I'll be moving on each day. He's a cutie!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Few days ago there was a kind of advertisement not to allow dog to follow you , ( they mean pilgrims), they follow you because they get some food from pilgrims,.
Time after they are out of their area and get lost , if this happens probably death is waiting for them , they would be cached by the authorities and kill then , there don't have room , nor money yo keep and give them food and a good live , very few get adopted!!

Please don't condemne this creature!!
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On the Primitivo some years ago, I was walking with two pilgrims and a dog attached himself to us. When we realized what had happened-- as Pruden says, dogs out of their own territory face a difficult future-- and one of us, a German army officer, nobly took the dog back to his village (7 km), adding three hours to his walking that day. We added some good tinto to our praise for his selflessness. After all, we can rarely take the animal back to our home countries and I don't know what sort of arrangements the Spanish authorities have for sheltering strays.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Un perro followed my companion and me for quite some time between Roncesvalles and Zubiri (we didn't feed him). At one point he was distracted by a canine friend, and we did a hasty disappearing act.

I wonder if this could be added to any handouts at Pilgrim offices such as SJPP? A list of helpful hints for pilgrims. Can't remember if we came across anything in our information.

In cases like this I strongl suggest to ask in the next village/town for the protectora (animal protector). These are volunteers that take care of such dogs and try to re-unite them with their owners, or, if not possible, try to find them a new home. Please, as said already, if a dogs start to follow you - chase it away immediately, otherwise you might cause, involuntarily, its death. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On the Rota Vicentina in January we stopped to have lunch in a little café in a small village. When we left the village 3 dogs tried to follow us. We tried everything we could think of to send them back, but they kept following us. After a few kms we crossed a river, ah ha!, but they also found a way across. We never fed them. But they still kept on following us, although at a distance now. THEN a jeep came along the track, from the village, with the 3 dogs in the back, which they had just picked up. It turned out that the dogs had joined some walkers that morning who were going in the other direction. So while we were yelling at the dogs to go home, they were trying to say, “but we ARE going home”! The owners had come out looking for them. Jill

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back