• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transfer sjdpied to santiago

Gooch1

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello,

My wife and I are planning to do the Comino from st Jean de pied port to santiago in mid April 2019 from Australia. We intend to do a further few weeks in Prague and Scotland before returning to Aus. Obviously we will have suitcases for the after Comino trip so my questions is: can we arrive in stjdep and then ship out suitcases to santiago, the end of the Walk? If so how do we organise this and what would be the cost for two suitcases approx 15kg each? Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I dont know what 15kgs costs each day, but luggage transfer is easy.
Just complete and attach the envelopes provided to the reception at every accommodation (I used Jacotrans successfully) to your pack, phone them (or the albergue will do that for you, It's not hard they spoke English to make it easy.
The next morning leave your bags with the name and address labels attached and they will appear wherever you booked the next day.
(Leave the money in the envelope.)

It does not sound like you want to ship your suitcases a stop ahead each day. You can ship directly to Santiago by the post office or several baggage companies. Search on google, or go to the various camino websites and look for the ads on them for baggage shipping. If Correos will not hold them long enough, you can have them mailed/shipped to Ivar; see his link at the top of most pages of the Forum.

https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/luggage-transfer

Buen camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can send the suitcases to Ivar's luggage storage in Santiago, but as far as I know it's best to do that from within Spain. How will you travel to St Jean? If you arrive from France, get a luggage transfer into Spain and then send it by Spanish post, Correos, to Ivar. If you travel to St Jean from say Pamplona, send it from there first. More info on Ivar's services here: http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/

It does not sound like you want to ship your suitcases a stop ahead each day. You can ship directly to Santiago by the post office or several baggage companies. Search on google, or go to the various camino websites and look for the ads on them for baggage shipping. If Correos will not hold them long enough, you can have them mailed/shipped to Ivar; see his link at the top of most pages of the Forum.

https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/luggage-transfer

Buen camino.
Excellent link especially for the hiking poles - always fancied PacerPoles but was worried about transport - thank you!

We sent a large bag direct from St Jean to Santiago with Express Bourricot. They are about 3 doors down from the Pilgrims office. Not cheap, but a great service and delightful people

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can only ship from the Correos (Spanish post office) once you are in Spain. You cannot carry luggage the first day into Spain. Perhaps if you had a burro, donkey or mule you might, but not by hand.

I strongly advise against shipping from France into Spain. It can be done, but is both expensive and 'iffy.' Despite the best efforts of the EU to homogenize systems and processes across Europe, you are still dealing with individual national postal systems.

Each system treats a cross border shipment as international. This introduces extra time and costs to the process. I have had parcels go 'walkabout' from Portugal to Spain. In fact, I walked from Portugal to Santiago faster than the parcels traveled through two mail systems...

They both have very good mail tracking systems that I had on my iPhone. It was remarkable to see the 'higgly-piggily' routing and distribution system they were using.

In my direct experience, as well as many others, the best way to get luggage from SJPdP direct to Santiago is still Express Bourricot. They pick up your luggage at your hotel or albergue the morning you walk out, or you can deposit it at their office at #31 Rue de la Citadelle, very near the SJPdP PIlgrim Office (#39). All hotel and hostel proprietors at SJPdP are familiar with their service and can assist you. Here is their website: https://www.expressbourricot.com/

It costs about €70 to send one piece of luggage. Size and weight limits apply. But, if two people can share one piece of luggage, only for the stuff you want sent ahead, this is ideal. They run their company van twice monthly (it takes two days to drive there). Your luggage will be in a locked room at Albergue / Hostal La Salle in Santiago waiting for you. You arrive, identify yourself, a passport works great, and they unlock the door and allow you to fetch your bag.

I have done this twice and it works great. Also, if you do this, the La Salle will give you a discount on accommodations. Albergue La Salle is perhaps a 10 - 12 minute, uphill walk, from the Pilgrim Office.

Alternatively, from anywhere Spain, the easiest thing to do is to use the Correos to ship anything from an envelope to a suitcase to Ivar (see here in the forum). The option to this, is to make a lodging reservation at Santiago for your arrival, and ask that property if you can send a parcel or suitcase to them to hold for your arrival.

The Correos wil transport nearly anything. In my many visits to Ivar's workshop and office, about the only thing I have not yet seen is a bubble-wrapped spouse...o_O I have seen bicycles, HUGE suitcases and duffel bags, Really large corrugated boxes (needing a cart to move), and all manner of smaller suitcases and odd-shaped objects.

Thirdly, you can ship from post office to post office within Spain. The Correos has gotten into the Camino support business big-time over the past two or three years. Most reviews have been very positive so far.

IIRC, they will hold most anything sent ahead for 15 days for free. After that, there is a nominal daily charge. In my view the biggest glitch is that they might be closed when I want my stuff on arrival. That is why I favor the hotel-direct option for a short camino and Ivar for a long one.

Personally, I prefer Express Bourricot (E/B) if coming over the mountains from France and Ivar if coming from Spain on a month-long Camino. I tend to use the hotel-direct shipping option only if I am walking a short (2 week or less) camino. I do not want my stuff sitting in a hotel or albergue office longer than necessary. Both E/B and Ivar are more secure.

Hope this helps.

I also used Express Bourricot. Their service couldn't be easier to use. You just go to their office in St Jean, pay the 70€, and they give you a tag to put on your luggage and tell them where you are staying . In the morning before you start walking just leave your tagged bag at your hotel or hostel and they will pick it up. When you arrive in Santiago it will be waiting for you at Hostal Lasalle, where you will get a 20% discount on a room. Last year that made my private room with ensuite bath only about 22€. I had friends who paid 20€ for just an albergue bed in Santiago! Another benefit of your luggage being held at the hotel is that their front desk is staffed 24/7, so you can pick it up any time.

I also have used Express Borricot twice. Very easy and no need to worry about how long it is in storage in Santiago. To me it has definitely worth the €.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also have used Express Borricot twice. Very easy and no need to worry about how long it is in storage in Santiago. To me it has definitely worth the €.
Yes, and it's really not that much more expensive, after you add up the costs of using Correos, which I did this year on the Norte. It was about 23€ to ship it, plus 25€ for storage with Ivar. If you also factor in the cost of having it transported for several days until you can get to a post office in Spain your savings are negligible.

And an FYI: There is a movement afoot among many non-profit albergues to refuse delivery of suitcases. Several tour operators are abusing the low-cost albergue system and housing their paid customers in low-cost pilgrim albergues, shipping their wheeled luggage ahead each day... NOT cool.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You can send the suitcases to Ivar's luggage storage in Santiago, but as far as I know it's best to do that from within Spain. How will you travel to St Jean? If you arrive from France, get a luggage transfer into Spain and then send it by Spanish post, Correos, to Ivar. If you travel to St Jean from say Pamplona, send it from there first. More info on Ivar's services here: http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/
Ivar, this is an amazing service you offer to all of us.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I enquired direct with Correos for a 15 kg suitcase from Barcelona to Santiago and was quoted €20 incl 15 days in Santiago which suits me perfectly as we will be doing CP from Porto and have not booked luggage for flight Barcelona to Porto. My backpack will be my camino gear and is hand luggage on the flight. My case will be waiting for me when we arrive in Santiago. Perfect arrangement! Buon Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back