• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transport (porter) options along Camino Frances (Sarria onwards)

KMc

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2023
Hi all,

I've heard that there are various options/companies that will transport your luggage from town to town so that you are free to walk without having to carry a backpack.

I would appreciate any information, guidance and your view from experiences.

Thanks
Keith

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I personally don't like to transfer bags. It limits where you can stay or stop because you must tell the bag company where you will be staying so they can deliver. Sometimes is is necessary if you have an injury, illness, etc.

Not all albergues accept bag transport so I would recommend you chose a company to transport first and then select albergues, hotels, etc. that they identify as on their network. Correos does transfer bags all year round on the Sarria to Santiago route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all,

I've heard that there are various options/companies that will transport your luggage from town to town so that you are free to walk without having to carry a backpack.

Thanks
Keith
Used this one almost exclusively as Jacotrans did not reply to my WhatsApp request. Great service ..

IMG_4390.jpeg

Whichever one you choose, I would recommend putting an AirTag in your luggage. JacoTrans decided not to move my bag (with heavy medical equipment inside!) one day and I was able to tell them exactly where my bag was (several times), and then track it the rest of the way using Camino Cómodo!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Whichever one you choose, I would recommend putting an AirTag in your luggage. JacoTrans decided not to move my bag (with heavy medical equipment inside!) one day and I was able to tell them exactly where my bag was (several times), and then track it the rest of the way using Camino Cómodo!
Absolutely. When u get close to your destination. Find my Air Tag took us right to our place. Oh and Air France left my bag in Paris. Air Tag was a god send. Got my bag as I showed the lady at jfk that my bag was still in Paris. A week late but got it.

There are quite a few and charges vary greatly.
I know the fellow at Pension Escalinata right at the top of the stairs was only charging €3 per stage a couple of years ago.

Hi all,

Thanks
Keith
Keith, you are planning to walk from Sarria to Santiago(?) About a five day walk for most people. Unless you have an undisclosed issue that requires heavy equipment or medications then the most you are going to need to carry is a change of underwear and a toothbrush and paste. Anything else is superfluous.

Even if you decide that you really do need a complete change of clothing, shoes and a shaver you are still not going to have accumulated much more than the weight of two big beers and a hotdog. Signing up with luggage transport means signing up with pre-booked accommodation and pre-fixing your Camino before you've even stepped in your first cow-pat.

More squeamish members may like to look away at this point but if i'm planning a 5 day walk from home to Winchester, or Canterbury or wherever I'd probably just pack the toothbrush. My Dentist's hourly rate makes my wine-merchant seem an angel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tinc, spot on my brother.
Tomorrow I am reversing my immigration path from Portugal and going back to the US for health issues.
I arrived here a year ago with two suitcases and a fully packed backpack after being displaced from my home in Florida by Hurricane Ian. I am going back with one suitcase and a carry-on backpack, the lessons we learn about the basic necessities are precious over time. I have been evacuated from conflict area and for medical emergencies leaving all of my belongings behind and you are correct; sometimes just having a toothbrush is a comfort.

Hi all,

Thanks
Keith
It’s easy. All albergues I’ve stayed in have luggage tags in reception. Just grab one and follow the instructions. I use JacoTrans - you can do it online via the WR code on the tag. You can choose to just ship one ‘stage’ - about 25km to your destination, or book and pay for several stages in advance if you want. They email your confirmation, you fill out and attach the tag to your luggage and leave in reception (or where your hosts tell you to leave it). The fairies magically deliver it to the place you’ve booked. If you don’t book a place, just have the luggage transferred to the Municipal ALBERGUE in the town you’re headed to. Pick your bag up from there, then you can wander about and check out where you want to stay. It’s a godsend of a service.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.