Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lugo or Sarria start?

jarlath

Time of past OR future Camino
sarria-sdc planned for late may 2024
Well the flights are booked. Arrive Santiago de Compostela 11 Oct. I was fairly sure I was going to start from Lugo along the Primitivo then joining the Frances. Sarria seems to be a much more common starting point. My question is this - Is there any advantage in starting from Sarria? (I don't fancy the extra bus ride to Sarria)

thanks everyone

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would start in Lugo and even, of possible, stay an extra day there. Lots to see and walking on the town wall is something very special. Buen Camino, SY

I have a feeling I may be on a lone voice on this but for the last 100 km I would walk from Sarria, I like Lugo but the walk from Sarria is much nicer and has a continuity feel to it. As for crowds you are going to get them on last 100 km from Lugo as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Li
I have a feeling I may be on a lone voice on this but for the last 100 km I would walk from Sarria, I like Lugo but the walk from Sarria is much nicer and has a continuity feel to it. As for crowds you are going to get them on last 100 km from Lugo as well.
Lugo to SdC is 110km and gorgeous so not sure I understand your comment.

Has anyone recent knowledge of bus connections to Lugo, from S de C ?

Do buses call at the airport, en route from S de C bus station?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Li
Lugo to SdC is 110km and gorgeous so not sure I understand your comment.

It is gorgeous but IMO Sarria is nicer, and since the OP was sounding out for thoughts and comments that's what I provided. To clarify a bit further, I have walked stretches in the last 100km several times now, on the CF twice and once each after joining from the Primitivo and Norte, I keep reading the downsides of the last 100km but I have never experienced it apart from once at Arzua after joining from the Norte, it is avoidable it just needs a little flexibility in your routine. Other posters have talked about it in threads on the last 100km.

Last edited:
Starting in Lugo gives you two days ( first to Ponte Ferreira and second to melide or Boente) so there is a huge amount of overlap anyway (unless you get creative --@notion900 has some good suggestions).

It's just a choice with different pros and cons. IMO Lugo is a much more interesting place to visit than Sarria and you will surely have fewer pilgrims on those first two days. But I agree with those who say the scenery and the walk itself are nicer from Sarria. The first day out of Lugo for instance has s big chunk on the side of a country road. The first chunk from Sarria goes through woods and rural farm land on trails. The real beauty of the Primitivo is well before Lugo, IMO.

Buen camino, Laurie.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back