• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid in 2016

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I will be walking the Camino Madrid in either September of 2015 or May of 2016 (depends of my retirement date). I will be 65 and I think it will be a good celebration of that milestone. Any advice or reference to resources would receive sincere appreciation.
Wow, Michael, I can only congratulate you for deciding on Camino de Madrid. It's one of those less walked Caminos in Spain.
But, of course, welcome to the forum :)

I walked CdM last year (in combination with CF from Sahagun to Ponferrada and later Camino de Invierno from Ponferrada to SdC) and posted day-by-day diary with photos and gps tracks here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/finally-my-camino-de-madrid-june-2014.25354/
(starting with post #46 if I remember correctly)

Also there's a section of this forum dedicated solely to CdM: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-de-madrid.45/
where you can find all sorts of Q's & A's.
If you think you need any additional info please don't hesitate to ask. We're not a large number really here that walked this trail, but some very dedicated indeed ;)

Happy planning!

Last edited:
I love love love that route and would suggest May.
It was spectacular!
Wildflowers, beautiful walking... not a lot of pilgrims.
Buen Camino and happy dreaming!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

I think Annie, Kinky and I share the same strong fondness for this route. It's not well traveled, in fact I never saw another pilgrim when I walked in May, but it is extremely well marked and best of all, there is VERY little asphalt. I think it would be a great one to walk while contemplating what's next after the work life is done. There's not too much up and down, except for the one day up to Fonfría before Segovia. I think you´ll love the mix of small towns with castles and old churches and pretty squares! Will you continue on the Camino Francés from Sahagún?

Buen camino, Laurie

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Welcome Michael! I look forward to hearing of your preparation and you journey.

Hi Laurie,
I think Camino Ingles and a repeat of Finisterre/Muxia. Short and sweet. No date yet. Thanks for asking, and you?

Hi Laurie,
I think Camino Ingles and a repeat of Finisterre/Muxia. Short and sweet. No date yet. Thanks for asking, and you?

I'm headed to the Cami st. Jaume and the Cami Catala to the Aragones, and then the Invierno from Ponferrada. I think I'll be arriving in Santiago in mid-July. Would love to meet up with others arriving on that date. I know we've talked about this before, but I think it would be a great idea to designate a bar in Santiago and a time every day at which forum members and anyone else could gather to meet. Maybe I'll resurrect one of those threads and see if there are suggestions. Especially now that people are walking so many different caminos, it'd be a nice way to bring us all together. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Hi, Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

I think Annie, Kinky and I share the same strong fondness for this route. It's not well traveled, in fact I never saw another pilgrim when I walked in May, but it is extremely well marked and best of all, there is VERY little asphalt. I think it would be a great one to walk while contemplating what's next after the work life is done. There's not too much up and down, except for the one day up to Fonfría before Segovia. I think you´ll love the mix of small towns with castles and old churches and pretty squares! Will you continue on the Camino Francés from Sahagún?

Buen camino, Laurie

Is there a way to walk the Camino de Madrid without finishing-up on the Camino de Frances? I would prefer that if possible.

Hi, Michael,
When you get to Sahagun, there is no alternative to the Frances. But you have two ways to divert a little further ahead. In Leon, you could walk the Salvador (about 4 days) to Oviedo and then on the Primitivo. Or you could stay on the Frances to Ponferrada and from there walk on the Invierno, which joins up with the Sanabres in Laxe and then a few more days into Santiago. There are lots of posts on both of these options. The main difference is that the Salvador/Primitivo alternative will put you in contact with more people. The Primitvo will have more people (but not a huge amount for the dates you are considering). The Invierno will likely be very solitary. Both are beautiful.

Take a look through the sections of the forum on the alternatives and you'll get a lot of people here who can give opinions on either or both alternative. I would be hard pressed to choose, myself, but it's hard to beat the Salvador/Primitivo combination. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Gay, I’m new to the forum as I’m walking my first Camino, the Camino Ingles beginning the 20th of June 2024 and wondering if there are any AA meetings along that route
Hi walking the Norte starting in late August. Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has/is starting in August.
Hi, I’m new to the group as I’m finally hiking my first El Camino this month, El Camino Ingles, beginning June 21, 2024
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.