• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying into Madrid

tpatnode

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hello,

My name is Tony Patnode, and my girlfriend is Margherita Scott. This will be our first Camino walk. We’re flying from Munich into Madrid in late April. We want to start a town or two before Sarria. Any suggestions that would be an easy train / bus ride from Madrid?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome! Hi, Tony. Personally I hope you don’t mind my saying that I would not use my real last name on-line?

Unfortunately, it is not a difficult connection but a bit slow going to get to Sarria. A lot depends upon when you arrive in Madrid. if you haven’t booked your flghts yet consider a connecting flight to Sarria, ideally from Germany. But there are inexpensive flights from MAD to Sarria. If you puchase a separate ticket you need to make sure you have sufficient time as the flights might not be connecting flights.

There are buses and trains that will get you to Sarria. Check out Rome2rio.com
It will provide you with schedules.

Check out starting in 0’Cebreiro. You can get a bus from Sarria. Again see Rome2Rio for connections. Walking from o’Cebreiro to SdC offers two scenic walks.
Buen Camino

Hello,

My name is Tony Patnode, and my girlfriend is Margherita Scott. This will be our first Camino walk. We’re flying from Munich into Madrid in late April. We want to start a town or two before Sarria. Any suggestions that would be an easy train / bus ride from Madrid?
A better option, if you're walking from Sarria, is to simply fly in and out of Santiago or Vigo.
From Santiago, it's easy to get to Sarria - as well as from Vigo, which some folks say is less expensive.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can get there in as little as 3 1/2 hours by train from the Madrid Charmartin station. There is Renfe Station in the lowest floor of the T4 terminal and you can take a Cercanias train directly to Charmartin. You make a change in Ourense to get to Sarria. Just another consideration...

Astorga is six stages before Sarria, it has good rail service and frequent buses from Madrid. It would allow you to see Astorga, visit the Cruz de Ferro and climb to the highest point on the Camino. It is beautiful section of the Camino before entering into Galicia.

Last edited:
A better option, if you're walking from Sarria, is to simply fly in and out of Santiago or Vigo.
If you bus to Sarria from Santiago you have to make a connection in Lugo. You can also qualify for a compostela walking from there and you will avoid crowding on the Francés for a couple of days before your walk joins it for the stretch into SdC.

This doesn't help you with the two days before part but you could walk to Finisterre from SdC afterwards. I guess most people take three days for this. You can also continue to Muxia from there or walk to Muxia instead of Finisterre but transportation from Finisterre is more plentiful and I'm guessing you only have limited time to walk.

Buen camino (whatever your route).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can get there in as little as 3 1/2 hours by train from the Madrid Charmartin station. There is Renfe Station in the lowest floor of the T4 terminal and you can take a Cercanias train directly to Charmartin. You make a change in Ourense to get to Sarria. Just another consideration...
It now appears that we are flying into Madrid, train to Ponferrada, walk to Santiago, then train back to Madrid. Does that seem doable in 14 days?

It now appears that we are flying into Madrid, train to Ponferrada, walk to Santiago, then train back to Madrid. Does that seem doable in 14 days?
If you follow the stages on Gronze.com, just barely with no time to spare. And no extra days in Santiago, which might be necessary to have if you want to receive a Compostela. If you start from Ponferrada, Villafranca del Bierzo or O Cebreiro you should have enough time to walk without rushing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can also take the bus to Ponferrada.
Haven’t purchased tickets from Munich to Madrid yet, or train tickets from Madrid to Ponferrada. We are leaning toward April 25th, if we can’t make connections work, we may need to spend the night in Madrid, then train to Ponferrada the morning of the 26th.

We will only have our backpacks with us as a carry on. I haven’t flown much since 2017, so I’m not current with TSA regulations. Will I be able to carry my pocket rocket isobutane stove, (stove only, no fuel canisters), and plastic utensils as a carry on? We have a Bialetti espresso pot and would like to make an espresso along the way.

Any other things that aren’t allowed as carry on? Hiking poles? Corkscrew?

Thank you for any feedback on this topic.

I would not risk hiking poles in a carry on. I don't think they would take your stove or coffee pot. We check poles and our pocket knife corkscrew or just buy new ones when we arrive and donate them at the end. Shouldn't be a problem on the bus or train in Spain. I don't know Germany's rules, but Spain flight security is strict on hiking poles. You will read in this forum of people who did and didn't get them confiscated, but if they are expensive or meaningful to you, You may not want to risk having them confiscated.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.