• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Ponferrada

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Looking for suggestions:

I arrive in Madrid at 10:40 am on May 9 and plan to travel to Ponferrada that day by either bus or train.

At one time there was an afternoon train that left Madrid 14:40 and arrived in Ponferrada at 18:40. I think the train goes to Leon and then you catch another train to Ponferrada.

But now when I try to locate the same train, nothing exists.

Also apparently has a Alsa bus that departs Madrid Esticion Sur at 14:30 and goes to Ponferrada via Astorga arriving at 18:50

Are there any other alternatives ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Looking for suggestions:

I arrive in Madrid at 10:40 am on May 9 and plan to travel to Ponferrada that day by either bus or train.

At one time there was an afternoon train that left Madrid 14:40 and arrived in Ponferrada at 18:40. I think the train goes to Leon and then you catch another train to Ponferrada.

Also apparently has a Alsa bus that departs Madrid Esticion Sur at 14:30 and goes to Ponferrada via Astorga arriving at 18:50

I suspect RENFE haven’t posted trains for May yet.
An alternative route, take the Lugo train and change at Ourense

We walked the Invierno in November and are very familiar with transport options in Spain. I highly recommend using the Renfe trains over buses as it is quicker, safer and more comfortable. Yes, there is a change over at Leon but it is convenient as you walk off one platform and through the hall area with seating and food/drink shops and when the downstairs platform opens for the next leg you show your paperwork and proceed down to wait for the train. The scenery is varied and very interesting especially on from Leon and in all it is so easy. When you arrive at Ponferrada you are walking distance to everything. One suggestion is not leaving booking tickets till the last minute as they can fill up quickly a week before or even more if it is a busy time. Also book online on the Renfe site as you can have it translated to English and you are paying the true fare, not an inflated one from a third party site. You will have to be careful of giving yourself plenty of time if you are planning to fly into Madrid, catching the Metro to Charmartin and changing to the Renfe terminal there as Customs can take longer than expected. And an early afternoon departure with Renfe at Charmartin will get you to Ponferrada in the late evening, so we always visit the nearby supermercado near Charmartin station for nibbles and drinks, though there is a food car on the train with a bar if you find that easier. Safe travels.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m having difficulty using trainline (which I ve used for many trains in Spain) finding a fast train from Santiago to Madrid on March 28. Any suggestions? I’m in USA and must use credit card.

I suggest that you take the high-speed train from Madrid to Leon, and then the bus to Ponferrada.

-Paul

I’m having difficulty using trainline (which I ve used for many trains in Spain) finding a fast train from Santiago to Madrid on March 28. Any suggestions? I’m in USA and must use credit card.
RENFE are convinced that there is no train between Santiago and Madrid. Nor does their excellent website suggest any alternative routes.

You may find more comfort looking for a flight or a bus.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would wait a week and you should be able to secure tickets for March 28. I have used this site before to order tickets

I am wary of Trainline and third party sites as on one occasion I booked tickets, payment went through on my credit card and the I was notified that there were no seats available. It then took me a couple of months to get my payment credited. That happened when I notified them my card provider was going to reverse the payment as I had proof I was owed a full refund. On the Renfe site if the seat is available and you book it you have secured it.

Looking for suggestions:

My cousin walked with us to Villafranca in 2017. The whole walk was very spur of the moment for him, and because of the lack of notice, he ended up taking a taxi to Ponferada, a bus to Leon, and then another bus to the airport and a flight to London.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back