• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to St. Pierre, via San Sebastian

Sue Kranz

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to walk El Camino in May of 2017
Hello Camineros (not sure if this is even a real word in Spanish, but I was trying to say, "fellow walkers," but it sounds way better in Spanish :))

I am low on funds, so I will be landing in Madrid at 11:30am, not a fortuitous hour to begin a long trek to St. Pierre...I will take a train to San Sebastian...then head for Bayonne and take the train from there to St. Pierre...does this sound sound?

Does anyone know of any inexpensive place to stay in the San Sebastian area?

Mil gracias (million thanks)
Sue...peregrina

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Camineros (not sure if this is even a real word in Spanish, but I was trying to say, "fellow walkers," but it sounds way better in Spanish :))

I am low on funds, so I will be landing in Madrid at 11:30am, not a fortuitous hour to begin a long trek to St. Pierre...I will take a train to San Sebastian...then head for Bayonne and take the train from there to St. Pierre...does this sound sound?

Sue...peregrina

It would be helpful when you purchase tickets to state your destination as St Jean Pied de Port. Unless you really mean St Pierre ... a place that I am not aware of.;)

If you are taking the train from Madrid to San Sebastian ... you might as well take the train to the terminus at Irun/Hendaye. There is Metro Donostialdea (Euskotren) from Irun Colon - 3 km - to Hendaia if the Renfe train doesn't terminate in Hendaye. Then take the SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare Bayonne.

Hi Sue,
If you're going to spend the night somewhere, maybe Pamplona would be better? That way it's only a short (1h45) bus trip the next day to St Jean Pied de Port, you don't have to worry about making any other connections.

You can get a bus Madrid-Pamplona with Alsa or PLM (€20-40, buses throughout the day, journey time +/-5hrs) and then from Pamplona-St Jean with Alsa (€22, bus leaves at 14:30). You might be able to stay in an albergue in Pamplona.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sue,

Do you mean St-Jean Pied-de-Port?

And why go to Bayonne from Pamplona? There is a bus to St-Jean from Pamplona. In Pamplona you can stay in any of the albergues as if it was your first night on the Camino.

Now, if you want to go to Bayonne, by all means, but then walk the beautiful Camino del Norte.

Hi Sue,
If you're going to spend the night somewhere, maybe Pamplona would be better? That way it's only a short (1h45) bus trip the next day to St Jean Pied de Port, you don't have to worry about making any other connections.

You can get a bus Madrid-Pamplona with Alsa or PLM (€20-40, buses throughout the day, journey time +/-5hrs) and then from Pamplona-St Jean with Alsa (€22, bus leaves at 14:30). You might be able to stay in an albergue in Pamplona.

Sue,

Do you mean St-Jean Pied-de-Port?

And why go to Bayonne from Pamplona? There is a bus to St-Jean from Pamplona. In Pamplona you can stay in any of the albergues as if it was your first night on the Camino.

Now, if you want to go to Bayonne, by all means, but then walk the beautiful Camino del Norte.

The problem with Pamplona is that unless you catch the last bus at 1730 you end up waiting till 1430 the next day to continue travel. Even in summer the first bus goes at 1000 ... and gets to SJPdP too late to start walking.

Hi Sue.
In Spanish language the walkers are " caminantes " but in the Camino we say "Peregrinos"
Buen Camino peregrina.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@whariwharangi - yes I suppose the OP could catch the 7:45am train the next day from Bayonne, getting to SJPP at 9am and then start walking straight away. Assuming she wants to start walking the morning after an international flight and a +/-7 hour train journey? I'd prefer to get to SJPP at a leisurely pace and then spend the night there, to be fresh and well rested for an early camino start the next day. But that's just me! I suppose it's good to know one's options.

Hi Sue, I am a volunteer at a local b&b in San Sebastian and I am happy to help you out. Just let me know... Buen Camino! Kristen

Sue...peregrina
I live in San Sebastian in summers.

There are a couple of pilgrim's albuergues there (Donostia is on the Norte) so those would be cheapest.

If you can't get in there try Pension d'amore (orD'adore, something like that). Its just off the plaza de la constitution and nice, cheap, and centrally locatted

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I live in San Sebastian in summers.

There are a couple of pilgrim's albuergues there (Donostia is on the Norte) so those would be cheapest.

If you can't get in there try Pension d'amore (orD'adore, something like that). Its just off the plaza de la constitution and nice, cheap, and centrally locatted

Thanks for the info. Would I be able to stay in an albuergue, if I don't yet have my "passport"?

Hi Sue,

Thanks! I have little funds for lodging. Would I be able to stay at an albergue if I don't yet have my "passport"?

I have always wanted to see San Sebastian, so I thought I'd stay there and leave in the afternoon and arrive in St-Jean Pied-de-Port late afternoon and stay the night there.

Any thoughts about where to stay in St-Jean Pied-de-Port?

Gracias!
Sue

Any thoughts about where to stay in St-Jean Pied-de-Port?

Gracias!
Sue

Sue,

If you arrive in SJPdP without a reservation go to the Pilgrim Office for help in finding a place for the night. The SJPdP Pilgrim Office is located on the camino at 39 rue de La Citadelle.

The office is open every day and in season from early in the morning until late at night ie after the arrival of the last bus/train. The helpful multi-lingual volunteers can provide Credentials and stamps if needed, as well as a list of major albergues and current weather/ trail conditions.

They can also help locate a bed/bunk for the night. They keep an up to the minute list of all available spaces in pilgrim albergues as well as regular tourist facilities and will telephone to find you a space

Most importantly the office is a great spot to meet/ greet other pilgrims.
...One year due to a bad storm, ice on tbe rr tracks and very late arrival I was happy to sleep ad hoc on the floor of that pilgrim office!

Good luck and Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the info. Would I be able to stay in an albuergue, if I don't yet have my "passport"?
Depends on the albergue. Sometiems yes, sometimes no. If you explain your situation it improves your chances. Say hello in Basque (Kaixo) and it improves it more :)

Hi Sue, I am a volunteer at a local b&b in San Sebastian and I am happy to help you out. Just let me know... Buen Camino! Kristen

Hola Kristen,
I will have my credenciales when I arrive, so I could stay in an albergue. I am interested in more details about your B&B in San Sebastian. Please contact me via conversation on this forum (click on my avatar and start a conversation). If it isn't too expensive, I would definitely be interested in staying there....gracias.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Hi Kristen,

I would like to find out more about the B&B you mentioned, and/or other albergues in San Sebastian. I will be there on May 17!

Sue

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Wondering if you are stuck, without a bed, in the middle of the Camino, in a very small town...can we expect to get a taxi to another location where beds might be available?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back