• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 2017

Francesca Cècè

Time of past OR future Camino
Would like to walk March 2017
Hi Everyone ! I'm so glad I found this community.

I would like to do a part of the Cammino, maybe a 10 day walk in March 2017. A few questions would be -

1. How should I train to be prepared for the cammino?
2. Which part of the cammino should I do as my first time?
3. Any tips any experts might have?
4. Do I need to plan out places to sleep at night?

Thank you in advanced ! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Francesca Cècè , hi and welcome to the forum.

My suggestions, for starters, are:

1. How should I train to be prepared for the cammino?
Walk, walk, walk. With your pack full with what you plan to take with you. Pack lists are another art form and you will see a guide under Resources.
In your training walks I suggest you aim to build stamina (walking for say three hours without stopping except for loo breaks) and build up a tolerance for walking up hills. Having regard for the type of country in the first and last thirds of the Camino Frances I suggest becoming comfortable with achieving an elevation of 700 metres in two hours as a regular part of your preparation. Of course you will need to build up to those levels and then maintain them.

You also need to find out if you prefer starting at sunrise, and so avoid the heat of the day, or whether you prefer later starts.

2. Which part of the cammino should I do as my first time?
This depends on your overall objective. I have met many, either walking alone or in groups of various sizes who walk for seven or fourteen days and return the next year to pick up where they finished this year.
Picking up that though I suggest starting at Saint-Jean and finishing at Burgos, about 12 days in most guides. Or stopping at Logrono (about 8 days) or a few villages afterwards. There are good bus/coach connections all along this part of the Camino Frances.

3. Any tips any experts might have?
Be yourself, take time to smell the roses and see the places you pass through (natural and built), to have as many conversations with as many walkers as you can.

4. Do I need to plan out places to sleep at night?
Available accommodationalong the Camino Frances is so varied I can only attempt a general answer. Others may be able to provide more specific help here. And the guide Miam Miam Dodo for the Camino Frances can also be helpful as to when most accommodation will be open. It also depends on your own nature, expectations and budget.

Having said all of that, March is early in the season suggesting, for all types of accommodation that are open, you will not have too much trouble finding a bed as you arrive. And if your stamina is OK (see point 1 above) going to the next village/town will not be a problem.

I wish you well.

Kia kaha ( be brave/be strong)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back