• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 2017

Francesca Cècè

Time of past OR future Camino
Would like to walk March 2017
Hi Everyone ! I'm so glad I found this community.

I would like to do a part of the Cammino, maybe a 10 day walk in March 2017. A few questions would be -

1. How should I train to be prepared for the cammino?
2. Which part of the cammino should I do as my first time?
3. Any tips any experts might have?
4. Do I need to plan out places to sleep at night?

Thank you in advanced ! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Francesca Cècè , hi and welcome to the forum.

My suggestions, for starters, are:

1. How should I train to be prepared for the cammino?
Walk, walk, walk. With your pack full with what you plan to take with you. Pack lists are another art form and you will see a guide under Resources.
In your training walks I suggest you aim to build stamina (walking for say three hours without stopping except for loo breaks) and build up a tolerance for walking up hills. Having regard for the type of country in the first and last thirds of the Camino Frances I suggest becoming comfortable with achieving an elevation of 700 metres in two hours as a regular part of your preparation. Of course you will need to build up to those levels and then maintain them.

You also need to find out if you prefer starting at sunrise, and so avoid the heat of the day, or whether you prefer later starts.

2. Which part of the cammino should I do as my first time?
This depends on your overall objective. I have met many, either walking alone or in groups of various sizes who walk for seven or fourteen days and return the next year to pick up where they finished this year.
Picking up that though I suggest starting at Saint-Jean and finishing at Burgos, about 12 days in most guides. Or stopping at Logrono (about 8 days) or a few villages afterwards. There are good bus/coach connections all along this part of the Camino Frances.

3. Any tips any experts might have?
Be yourself, take time to smell the roses and see the places you pass through (natural and built), to have as many conversations with as many walkers as you can.

4. Do I need to plan out places to sleep at night?
Available accommodationalong the Camino Frances is so varied I can only attempt a general answer. Others may be able to provide more specific help here. And the guide Miam Miam Dodo for the Camino Frances can also be helpful as to when most accommodation will be open. It also depends on your own nature, expectations and budget.

Having said all of that, March is early in the season suggesting, for all types of accommodation that are open, you will not have too much trouble finding a bed as you arrive. And if your stamina is OK (see point 1 above) going to the next village/town will not be a problem.

I wish you well.

Kia kaha ( be brave/be strong)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Money stolen from bag on bed while sleeping. Estelle municipal hostel. Not a big inconvenience as my passport and credit cards were left.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back