• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

March 2018

Ann-MarieG

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018
Hi, I'm from Ireland and new to this site. Actually, I'm new to Camino thinking and nervous and excited, very excited. :)

A few of us have decided to walk the Camino, Sarria to Santiago - we started as 6 with flights booked but think there may be 10 of us by the time next March (24th) comes around. We chose March as it is a time/month that suits us all. We know it will be cold and wet but will get lots of practice walks in the rain here in Ireland.

This site has been a godsend, full of information and any questions that pop into my head go into the search box and voila - I have my answer. Its a fantastic resource.

I have become a Camino bore over the last few weeks and really have to stop myself from going on about it when out with friends.

My plans for the 8 months before my Camino:-

Now to end of November - well I'm currently about 3 stone overweight:confused: (put on after breaking my shoulder and then my leg in quick succession) so my first goal is to lose weight and get fitter. Ive been going to a local gym and doing classes plus I love to walk to am getting a couple of 5k walks in each week.

From End of November:- well its my birthday at the end of November so out will come my new walking shoes and socks that husband and kids will lovingly wrap and hand over to me (I've already ordered online, having found the shoes in a local shop but was cheaper online) I will start wearing in the shoes and increasing my distances and adding in some local hills. Will walk come rain, hail or snow because that's probably the weather we will get there in March.

Anyway, thank you all for the wonderful information I have gained already from reading peoples threads on here (I've lost hours on here where I should have been doing housework or gardening :eek:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I'm from Ireland and new to this site. Actually, I'm new to Camino thinking and nervous and excited, very excited. :)

A few of us have decided to walk the Camino, Sarria to Santiago - we started as 6 with flights booked but think there may be 10 of us by the time next March (24th) comes around. We chose March as it is a time/month that suits us all. We know it will be cold and wet but will get lots of practice walks in the rain here in Ireland.

This site has been a godsend, full of information and any questions that pop into my head go into the search box and voila - I have my answer. Its a fantastic resource.

I have become a Camino bore over the last few weeks and really have to stop myself from going on about it when out with friends.

My plans for the 8 months before my Camino:-

Now to end of November - well I'm currently about 3 stone overweight:confused: (put on after breaking my shoulder and then my leg in quick succession) so my first goal is to lose weight and get fitter. Ive been going to a local gym and doing classes plus I love to walk to am getting a couple of 5k walks in each week.

From End of November:- well its my birthday at the end of November so out will come my new walking shoes and socks that husband and kids will lovingly wrap and hand over to me (I've already ordered online, having found the shoes in a local shop but was cheaper online) I will start wearing in the shoes and increasing my distances and adding in some local hills. Will walk come rain, hail or snow because that's probably the weather we will get there in March.

Anyway, thank you all for the wonderful information I have gained already from reading peoples threads on here (I've lost hours on here where I should have been doing housework or gardening :eek:)

Welcome to the Camino Life, Ann-Marie!!!

Take it very easy with that leg until fully healed. But when ready, 5k will become a daily goal. Not sure the time planned for you group's trek but 100k in a week will see 14 to 15k a day, usually traversed in a few hours.

Much to learn, much to experience.

For myself, I flew into Dublin last August, stayed the weekend and drove to Borrisokane and Terryglass (N. Tipperary) for a week, then back to Dublin, took the ferry to Holyhead, train to London then flew from Standtead to Biarritz. Tons of fun and met so many people from everywhere.

It is a different and humbling life, and I cannot wait to get back next Spring.

Welcome to the forum, @Ann-MarieG. Saria to Santiago is a beautiful walk. Especially at that time of year. Take care, get strong, and buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Ann-MarieG, you are where I was last September - over weight but determined. It is really really worth the effort you put in now. I bought a (very cheap) pedometer and the first week of October my goal was to walk 3000 steps per day. No joke. That's where I started. And it nearly killed me.

But I persevered.

Depending on where you are in Ireland there are walking groups that can help with the training - the spinc trail in Glendalough is a great test of if you are 'Camino ready'. I struggled to complete it in March, comfortably got around in May, and encountered nothing more challenging than that in June between Sarria and Santiago.

I already envy you your preparation and journey because although the Camino is calling me back, I'll never walk my First Camino again.

Invest in a pair of hiking trousers that unzip to shorts - I kid you not, even in Ireland they are the best to wear for hill walking.

This forum is an invaluable resource, and like you I've spent hours and hours and hours learning.

Enjoy every minute of your planning, preparation and above all Buen Camino.

I'm doing the sarria to santiago route March 29-April 5..am overweight and have just had a xray on ankle showing I have a bone issue in my foot due to osteoarthritis. .I'm 41 and walked 10km last Saturday and could hardly put my foot on ground that night not to mind knee pain. .have boots for support and thinking of getting walk shoes .but will need to get them asap..just going to book a company to bring bags from accommodation each day
.very nervous but excited too..will be talkin you my doc this weekabout what I will need for ankle to get through the week!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back