Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

March/April weather concern

Dieter

Past OR future Camino
planning first
Hello all , thanks for this forum the opportunity to be part of it!! 10/03/17

Im planning my first Camino 'way Frances' from St Jean and acctually want to leave asap as in in the next few days.ive been scanning the weather and it seems to be rather rainy now most of the time. an d along most of the route.can anybody please advise....
if there is really too much rain this time of the year, should i wait til April ? is April better?I don't want to dash off and be rained out most of the time .... Has anyone done it this time of the year? .....many thanks

best
Dieter

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

poogeyejr

Past OR future Camino
Norte, May 2011
Norte, Sept 2013
Frances, 1wk, Jan 2017
It was wet and muddy February 1st this year. Usually there is snow! So time of year and usual weather patterns really can not be relied on.
I would look at the weather forecasts for the next few days in the cities you are about to enter and decide based on them.

Good luck.

Dieter

Past OR future Camino
planning first
It was wet and muddy February 1st this year. Usually there is snow! So time of year and usual weather patterns really can not be relied on.
I would look at the weather forecasts for the next few days in the cities you are about to enter and decide based on them.

Good luck.

Thanks very much for your advice, i will check the weather for a few days !

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Again, soon as possible!

Im planning my first Camino 'way Frances' from St Jean and acctually want to leave asap as in in the next few days.ive been scanning the weather and it seems to be rather rainy now most of the time. an d along most of the route.can anybody please advise....
if there is really too much rain this time of the year, should i wait til April ? is April better?I don't want to dash off and be rained out most of the time .... Has anyone done it this time of the year? .....many thanks

best
Dieter

Hi Dieter! Whenever you go it WILL rain when you get to Galicia! So it is best to be prepared anyway. There is probably less chance of rain in April but to be honest there is no guarantee. I don't mind walking in the rain as long as I can get dry and warm at the end of the day. Saying that, after three days of constant rain it gets a bit much!

Whatever you decide, you are going to love it!
Buen Camino!
Davey

M

Mark Lee

Check out this website: https://www.wunderground.com/
You can look up past year's weather for Spain by month in different cities along the Camino. Look it up for the past 3-5 years and come up with an average of sorts. Kind of see when it rains the most and where. No guarantee of course, but does give some idea what to expect and what to bring.
ultreia

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino Madrid/San Salvador/Primitivo-2021

best
Dieter

Dieter:

I have walked six Camino's between March 23rd and April 30th.

There has been rain, sun, wind and even some snow. I have seen temps between -10C and 35C . There have been Camino's where I had 3 weeks of perfect weather and Camino's where it rained 8 straight days.

My point is, do not worry about the weather, just pick a time and go.

Ultreya,
Joe

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
The current weather conditions in the Meseta are spring like and there has been little or no rain since late February. I walked the past couple of morning in a t-shirt.
Three years ago it snowed every day for the month of May in Navarra.
There is no way to predict the weather other than looking at the weather pattern in North America and doing your best at predicting when that weather will arrive on this side of the Atlantic 3 or 4 days later.

J F Gregory

Camino Norte fall 2022
Past OR future Camino
2016, 2021 hoping to return in fall 2022.
We walked last March and April and dealt with all kinds of weather. We walked for 33 days to snow from SJPDP for for several days rain sleet and snow overcast days and only 5 days of sunshine. I am not complaining those were probably the best 33 days of my life in the last few years. I learned a lot about myself.

Dieter

Past OR future Camino
planning first
Hi Dieter! Whenever you go it WILL rain when you get to Galicia! So it is best to be prepared anyway. There is probably less chance of rain in April but to be honest there is no guarantee. I don't mind walking in the rain as long as I can get dry and warm at the end of the day. Saying that, after three days of constant rain it gets a bit much!

Whatever you decide, you are going to love it!
Buen Camino!
Davey
Thank you Davey!°!

Dieter

Past OR future Camino
planning first
The current weather conditions in the Meseta are spring like and there has been little or no rain since late February. I walked the past couple of morning in a t-shirt.
There is no way to predict the weather other than looking at the weather pattern in North America and doing your best at predicting when that weather will arrive on this side of the Atlantic 3 or 4 days later.

Dieter

Past OR future Camino
planning first

Thank you very much for the info and advice, much appreciated!!

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Dieter

Past OR future Camino
planning first
Dieter:

There has been rain, sun, wind and even some snow. I have seen temps between -10C and 35C . There have been Camino's where I had 3 weeks of perfect weather and Camino's where it rained 8 straight days.

Ultreya,
Joe
Good advice , thank you !!

Dieter

Past OR future Camino
planning first
Dieter:

Ultreya,
Joe
good advice !! i like it ! zhanks Joe.

Dieter

Past OR future Camino
planning first
Check out this website: https://www.wunderground.com/
You can look up past year's weather for Spain by month in different cities along the Camino. Look it up for the past 3-5 years and come up with an average of sorts. Kind of see when it rains the most and where. No guarantee of course, but does give some idea what to expect and what to bring.
ultreia
Thanks Mark , good advice , nice one !!

Gibbru

Past OR future Camino
Have done as far as Leon so far.
I'm hoping to start next week from Leon (I've already done SJ to Leon). As it's snowing and cold in North America right now, I'm guessing I'm going to get some cold wet weather :)

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads