• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mary and Joseph on Camino

Lydia Gillen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007/8/9, 2011 , 2012/13/14. C.F 2015
Camino Portugues 2017,2018,2019
volunteering
As I make last minute preparations for Christmas I reflect on the camino being made by Mary and Joseph.

I am convinced that they expected to have registered in Bethlehem and be home in Nazareth before the expected birth. I base this on the fact that no young girl wants to leave their own women folk the week their first child is due. Did the baby come early beacause of the long walk or the bumby ride on a mule?

Also Mary had no baby clothes with her. Can we imagine that she who later on would weave a seamless cloak for Jesus , surely she would have prepared little baby clothes for him. I can almost imagine them in a basket.

We know that the night is freezing cold in Bethlehem. were they afraid that the baby would die of cold ? Did Joseph take out his knife and cut and tear strips off his own cloak and then wrap them around the tiny arms and legs so that Jesus would not die of cold before the light and heat of day.

Why did Mary put Jesus into the manger?. Why did she not hold him close to her body within the warmth of her cloak?. This would have been far more natural. Why did she not lie down with the baby on the straw ? I have pondered about this for years and the only logical conclusion I can come to is this; there was nowhere clean on the floor where she could sit down. So she put the baby in the manger safe from the hooves of the animals.

How did Joseph feel about his beloved wife having to give birth in these circumstances?

"God so loved the world that He sent his only begotton Son....."

We celebrate the birth of Jesus. Do we try to make this little planet a good place for all to live in?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.