• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mary Catherine Kimpton memorial gone? Help? (before Estella)

domparisien

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Spring 2022
Is there anyone currently on the Camino Frances near Estella who could look into something for me (or someone who already knows something)? Last year I walked the Camino Frances in May and was asked to stop by the underpass outside of the city to take pictures of the cairn of Mary Catherine Kimpton, a Canadian who died there in 2002 after being struck by a drunk driver. The pictures were for her granddaughter, whom I know. The underpass we all now use to safely bypass that busy road was actually built after her death.

I managed to take some pictures, which she hugely appreciated. However, I was looking over the area again on Google maps (the first picture below, which is from this year) and the cairn is now somehow missing? Timeline pictures show it clearly absent from the spot where it was. This must be a pretty recent development because I spent some time with it last summer.

Does anyone know if it was somehow moved somewhere in the park? The memorial cairn was built by Mary's husband (who has since passed), a bricklayer, and has been there since 2012. It was large, solidly built, with mortar and everything. I'm very confused at how it could be gone. Alex (the granddaughter) is planning on visiting the cairn when she does her own Camino to complete one in memory of her grandmother, and I'm sure it would be devastating to find the cairn gone. Does anyone have any information on this? Was the cairn simply moved farther into the park, closer to the walking path?

The cairn was directly behind the stone wall of the underpass. The exact location is on maps is 42.661263,-2.006956. The Ermita de San Miguel Arcángel is also nearby.

If anyone has any information on this, or is able to take a look in the park, it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-02 123017.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-02 123017.png
    2 MB · Views: 6,260
  • IMG_6285.jpg
    IMG_6285.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_6279.jpg
    IMG_6279.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6280.jpg
    IMG_6280.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_6281.jpg
    IMG_6281.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It was still there about 3 years ago when I saw it but it's no longer on the route of the Camino, it's off to the left where people used to cross the road, now we use the underpass. At least that's my recollection.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looking closely at google streetview, I can locate a number of landmarks shown in your photo, but the cairn seems not to be visible, although it should be. There is also a suspicious pile of cobbles close to where the cairn should be.

In both the photo and street view, the wall of the underpass is clearly visible. Standing in the road, looking at the area, pilgrims enter the ramp down to the underpass from the left. The cairn is beyond the end of the wall on the right. So pilgrims will not notice the cairn unless they look for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

@sillydoll The Association in Estella is a great idea! I'll reach out. Thank you!

@geraldkelly Yes, the cairn was there last summer when I went. The pictures I posted are ones I took. That's why I'm so confused that it's now missing from the Google Street View pictures. It would have been removed/moved very recently.

@Felice I agree. In the most recent Google View picture there's a clear empty patch where it WAS but now it's not there. In the earlier versions it's clearly visible, and it was there last summer when I went.

Mainly, I'm wondering if anyone who is there now has seen it in a different location.

I found three pictures of the memorial at mapio.net that show a location near a picnic/rest area before the underpass. The location of that is at coordinates 42.66144,-2.00589 and can be seen on this screenshot from the OSMand app; the camino is marked in blue at the bottom.
Screenshot_20230803-110617.png

Here it is on Google Maps:

Here are the Mapio links:

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@domparisien
Dominik - this is Allan. We walked together from Foncebadon to Cruz de Ferro and you were telling me about this memorial....
Indeed it would be a devastating news if somehow it "disappeared'. I wish I could give you some news but my next Camino is not in the books for at least 2 more years....
I will Pray that whatever you find (and by default - all of us) will be "good News"
Stay Hopeful and Positive, my friend! ❤️

@Rick of Rick and Peg thanks for the lovely pictures :) That's definitely where it was when I saw it last year, it just doesn't seem to be there anymore from timeline pictures on Google Maps. That's the part that's perplexing me.

@CWBuff Great to hear from you, Allan! I appreciate the thoughts, and it's very nice to hear from you! Hope all is well with you.

How about contacting a hospitalero or two before Estella to put up a note with a link to the start of this thread. Maybe you can get coordinates and a video of the approach from an obliging peregrino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.