• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maxim

Time of past OR future Camino
In july 2017 camino del norte
Hello everyone . I have a question , in 10 days i will start camino del norte ,and maybe someone can told me about how much money i should have for 30 days for food and hostel ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many people using albergues and pilgrim menus with cheap snacks during the day spend around 30 -35 euros per day, so 1,000 euros should be enough unless you want to use any more expensive places to sleep or eat.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It depends on the "standard" of your accommodation and meals you chose. I usually prepare myself the meals and sleep in the cheapest albergues so last years (though not on the Norte) I was able to spend 10-20€ daily with the average of 12€. However, it worked for me. I know my body and it was just what I needed - there was no special economies. I'd say that 30-35€ would mean staying (at least regularly) in private albergues (or from time to time in hotels/pensions and in municipal the other days) and taking dinner in bars/restaurants. I think it's quite nice - especially the northern cuisine in Spain is delicious. For me, it's rather a matter of choice: to eat healthy but modestly during the way and have some splendid dinner in Santiago.
These few remarks are just for those who could be afraid of spending 30-35 euro a day. It's possible to spend less, but that's the matter of what are your expectations and rules concerning the accommodation and meals.

So this is the typical breakdown:

8-12€ for a bed in an albergue.

3€ for breakfast, on albergue or bar: a cafe con leche with a croissant, toast or a slice of tortilla de patatas

5€ for lunch, in a bar, around noon, which could be a sandwich or salad with a drink

10€ for some "pilgrim meal" which is a three course meal; quality, often questionable. But also 10-12€ for a few pinxos perhaps?

OR .... bed and breakfast the same, then add a snack noonish (another slice of tortilla de patatas, or something you are carrying in your back pack from a grocery store) and ... drumroll... replace the 5€ lunch and 10€ dinner with a 8-10€ "menu del dia", served from 2-4pm typically. Beat deal in town, and good quality. What the locals eat. Also 3 course, normally including either a bottle of wine (a whole bottle per person!) or a bottle of water.

On the Norte you don't have to worry about the cost of a "2nd breakfast" as diatances are longer, less places to drop your money.

You of course have the option to carry food for lunch and cook for dinner, if albergues have kitchen or at least microwave.

Until my April walk his year I always found that cooking for 1 ended up coating the same as a meal, and you would end up leaving food behind for the next pilgrim. But ... Dia grocery store surprised me this year with some of its vaccumed packed prepared dishes: a large ratatouille for 2.50€! A litter of gazpacho for under 2€. An 8-10 inch tortilla de patatas also for under 2€, and a full crate of fresh strawberries, good for 6-8 people, for 4€. Also look at their thin crust pizzas, and slices of lomo for under 3€.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stay in hostals, but eat very simply and drink less than others. Even the standard Menu Peregrino, or Menu del Dia is too large for me to consume.

So, my average runs close to €53 daily. Most of this, about €43 on average goes to overnight housing. I value my personal privacy and comfort above most other things so I can be rested the next day.

I find that my financial model has run true for my past four Caminos. As I am generally on Camino for three to five weeks at a go, the average is reasonable.

Some stretches have less expensive lodging, and I will stay in a private room at a private albergue if I can book one ahead. I snore and must use the facilities several times each night, so this is out of consideration for others.

Other stretches of Camino, most notably cities and towns that also attract tourists, cost more for a room. So, while paying €60 for a room might seem excessive, if it is in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada, or even Sarria, it makes sound sense to me. The average is retained at less expensive places found on most other nights.

Just as an FYI, I use www.booking.com almost exclusively. It has always worked very well for me.

I hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back