• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May '17 observations: SJPdP to Tosantos

BShea

Time of past OR future Camino
(9/2013) Le Puy
(5/2015) CF
(5/2016) Le Puy
(5/2017) CF
(9/2017) Le Puy
(9/2019) RL Stevenson
I've noticed a few differences since I walked in 2015. I'm not sure if things have changed in two years or if I'm just more aware this time. I hope this is of interest or helpful to someone...
1. There seems to be far less Americans. Probably around 30% Koreans, 30% Italians and the remaining 40% is everyone else. So far, I've met people from 16 countries and 10 States. Very few Spaniards seem to be walking - maybe the time of year?
2. There are more dirt roads than I remember. It seemed like last time, there were more paved surfaces. Maybe that comes later? We do walk a good portion of each day next to the highway which can be quite loud.
3. Many of the people on the Camino are locals that use the route for daily exercise - dog walking, running, cycling. (How lucky could it be to have the Camino at your back door?)
4. Probably the most important - Although there doesn't seem to be that many people walking, all the albergues seem to be booked by the time we arrive, which is usually around 14:00. Without fail, I am asked as I walk in if I have a reservation. I do not ever remember being asked that once in 2015. Two nights ago in Najera, the municipal sent 50 people to the overflow area in the stadium!
5. On a humorous note... I am traveling with my Mexican sister-in-law who doesn't speak English. Every time she speaks to someone, they always switch to English to accommodate her foreign language.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
30% Korean?!
I know! Apparently, it's become super popular. Or maybe the dates I chose correspond with a break there. We are in a small albergue tonight and out of 16 beds, there are 5 Koreans so far.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I know! Apparently, it's become super popular. Or maybe the dates I chose correspond with a break there. We are in a small albergue tonight and out of 16 beds, there are 5 Koreans so far.
Evidently Paul Coelho's book is translated into Korean and is very popular. There were a number of Koreans last year on the CF, but I don't remember anywhere near 30% at that time. The ones I ran across were about 80% women walking alone - I was impressed, as they've come such a long way and seem to do it with such devotion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Evidently Paul Coelho's book is translated into Korean and is very popular. There were a number of Koreans last year on the CF, but I don't remember anywhere near 30% at that time. The ones I ran across were about 80% women walking alone - I was impressed, as they've come such a long way and seem to do it with such devotion.
What I noticed two years ago was large groups of Korean young adults that banded together. We saw that at first this year, but they seem to have disappeared over the last two days. Maybe they're faster? Now, we see either a parent with a young adult child or even families walking together. It's really cool. Today, we ran into a group of Brazilians. I think we can attribute that to Coehlo's book. I didn't run into any other Americans today, but I walked with two Canadians. They said in 11 days, they've run into less than 10. It feels like the N. American numbers are down. Or I'm just out of sync. I have yet to meet a Spaniard going to Santiago. Of course, there are many French, Dutch, and Germans along the way. I also met a 70 year old Japanese man who taught himself Spanish from listening to a TV program. So fun to talk to people from all over the world. Where else can you do this???

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Isn't that one of the best things about the Camino?! So many different people with their own stories. I remember every one, and had some wonderful conversations, sometimes even just short ones at rest stops that were rich and meaningful. That's exactly it - there isn't anywhere else like the Caminos. The history, the monuments, the way of doing it, the natural beauty, the support services, etc., etc. My plan is, as last year, to not get into political discussions and to try to represent my country as well as I can, but I've often considered just telling people I'm Canadian :).

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back