• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 17th is almost here! Let's talk Weather...

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
If anyone lives along this route or is walking this route I'd love to have a weather thread with updates to have a better idea of what to bring. I want to travel with as little as possible!

I'd like to extend this thread to continue updates for those who might want the info, too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is what I get for Lisbon (I'll be there and touring up to Porto for the first few days). Then Porto to commence Caminho around May 23rd.lisbon 10 day forecast.jpg

Looks like the accuweather .com website gives a more comprehensive forecast. Does this fairly accurate?
ACCUWEATHER Lisbon.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The climate sites I looked at said that about 1/3 of the days in May had measurable precipitation. Some light rain, some heavy. You need to either be prepared for rain or have lots of extra days in your schedule to hunker down. Oh and when it rains it is often cold and windy and yes MUDDY.

@Albertinho , well that's no fun! Hmmm, so maybe the forecast might be fairly accurate. Okay then! Thank you, Albertinho.

It is terrible weather here in Portugal now. We are in Santarèm now and it is raining cats and dogs since about 5 days and it will go on untill thursday or friday.
Are you in that lovely new albergue, Albertinho? I was so pleased to find it on my first trip.
Almost all of Northern Spain is suffering from heavy rain at the moment - it's actually drier and warmer in the UK!! I took this picture yesterday:
P1040348.JPG
That's more like "Spanish" than "English" weather!! Even the bluebells are of the Spanish variety..... and 21 degs C.
Please get rid of that rain before I come to Santiago on May 25th!!
Adios, amigo, y buen camino!

Are you in that lovely new albergue, Albertinho? I was so pleased to find it on my first trip.
Almost all of Northern Spain is suffering from heavy rain at the moment - it's actually drier and warmer in the UK!! I took this picture yesterday:
View attachment 25792
That's more like "Spanish" than "English" weather!! Even the bluebells are of the Spanish variety..... and 21 degs C.
Please get rid of that rain before I come to Santiago on May 25th!!
Adios, amigo, y buen camino!
Yes Stephen We drank a coffee with Mario and his wife but they were extremely busy. The house was full with Fatima pilgrims and four Belgians on bike tour to Santiago..
Very nice place.
Tomorrow we will see our friend Diogo here on the camping where we are now and later during the day we will meet Aurélio Simoēs in Lisbon.
Thursday we will meet Dutch friends in Sintra and Friday we head for the coast northwards .the weather is improving now. But last night rain rain rain. Hard job for the pilgrims who are walking from Lisbon now.
Regards from Portugal

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
SO...upon further accuweather.com checking, it appears there may be a significant number of wet days. Question: I was thinking of traveling SUPER light as in, wear one outfit and bring some leggings and a top for sleeping and relaxing...too little? o_O

If the forecast of Santiago is correct (sunny today) the rain must be following me. I have been on CP, and it has been raining 10 days in a row. It started On May 5 when I was in Porto, and I see no sign of clearing up. I forgot what the sun looks like. I am in Pontevedra right now. My "class" of Peregrinos (who walk with me just about the same speed) seem to accept the fact this can happen.
We all are prepared with rain gear, but the laundry is a problem. Would not dare to wash because it will not dry.
My prediction is that by the time you start, there will not be any moisture left in the air to rain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
... it has been raining 10 days in a row...
Well that's a drag but...I hope you're still having an amazing time! A bit of good weather coming your way, perhaps:
pontevedra.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Looking for segmenting advice on the Portuguese Costal between Porto and Vila do Conde. We originally considered starting in Matosinhos walking straight to Vila do Conde. That's ~23 KM. On paper...
Hello beautiful people. I decided and chose Portuguese route for my first Camino. I’ll come from Kyiv to Paris, and then find a way to get to Porto. Maybe I’ll take a flight. I do my last...
Bag is packed, weather forecast looks like rain, but we've got our waterproofs at the ready! My partner and I fly into Porto tomorrow evening, then we'll spend the night in Matosinhos and start...
Greetings from Porto! It is absolutely gorgeous here today and I am sorely tempted to linger a few days to enjoy it all … but the Way awaits and I plan to start walking from Matosinhos on Sunday...
We are ariving in Porto on May 27th. We want to forward a suitcase to Santiago directly so we have other clothes post our Camino. Could any one please recommend luggage services that will ship...
How low must tides be to prevent boat crossings from caminha to A Guarda?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back