• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 2008

Red Kite

Hola todos

I've made my decision to do the Camino Frances in May 2008. Gulp.

Is anyone else planning to do it then?

Has anyone done it in May? What are the advantages / disadvantages of that time of year?

Thanks

Red Kite

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
i did my camino last year may/june. The weather was perfect 3 hours rain, the messata fantastic, the best part was the flowers in bloom and of course there is more daylight hours. the only thing with sept. is shorter days. i would not consider june or july.
dawn

Hi Red Kite

I'm planning on walking the Camino in May 2008. I'm heading off from Canberra, Australia around 20 April, flying to London, adjusting to the time change then heading to SJPdP to start the last week in April. I am allowing myself about 5-6 weeks to walk.

Started training already as I want to be fit and ready to walk long distances with well worn in boots!

cheers
Cyd

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We planning on starting in SJP round about 23/24 May. We will be flying into Madrid from Johannesburg, SA.

Unfortunately we'll only be able to walk for about 2 weeks.

Finding the planning very exciting and can't wait for next year!!

Red Kite,

Best time of year to do the camino. I walked in May last year and the flowers were in full bloom and the fields green all the way from Navarra to Galicia. And not a hint of rain in Galicia in the last week of May, only early morning fog. Of course with all that climate change happening in the planet we don't know if the weather goes haywire next year! ;-)

Just avoid starting 1st of May.

Mark

I'm keen to know why I should avoid starting on 1st May too!! I would have thought that starting on Beltane would be a good thing!! Haha.

I'm not sure whether to start at SJdP or Roncesvalles. If I start at Roncesvalles I might have time to get to Finisterre. Any thoughts?

Red Kite

Oh, I see...

Thanks for that...that's very good info. All our Bank Holidays are on Mondays. I'm not used to a BH being on any other day.

I'll probably start later in the week then. 3rd or 4th look like good days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

I've walked once or twice in may.

A lot of pilgrims but not too much as in June/July. A lot of sunlight hours. Good weather, but can be cold on mountains.

Best momento in my opinion.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Our group of 6 is planning to do the Camino leaving Iowa on May 1st. We are going to do the El Camino Frances. Have started training and buying gear. Walked our first long hike (12 miles) yesterday at about 3.5 MPH without any packs. We are in our 40s and 50s and want this to be a religious pilgrimage as we are all very devout Catholics. Always open to suggestions with special interest in shoe/hiking boot suggestions and pack information.
Ruth
Dubuque, Iowa, USA

Added in April 2008: http://www.elcamino.norsketech.com

Normal suggestions are: Try to wear used boots to prevent ampollas, try to do your training with backpack and it's normal weight because your back and your legs have to train too, if your foot hurts, don't conitnue walking, stop and look at what is happening to prevent something worse.

And enjoy it!!

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Red Kite, hi there I am planning to do the camino in May also, I am a bit worried but I am going to throw caution to the wind and do it. I have decided that it will a time to be adventureous and whatever happens happens. If I decide to rest so be it. If I want to spend a few days resting at a place that intrigues me I will do it, I have no set time to arrive at Compostela.

Hope to see you.
niel

Re:

Red Kite said:
Oh, I see...

Thanks for that...that's very good info. All our Bank Holidays are on Mondays. I'm not used to a BH being on any other day.

I'll probably start later in the week then. 3rd or 4th look like good days.

Oh the Spanish are MUCH more civilised than us and often when there is a holiday or feast day in proximity to the weekend - for example on a Thursday - they declare it a "puente" or bridge and have the Friday off as well! Hence albergues can be very busy during puentes because they can last for several days!

Rujobec and Red Kite,

May I humbly suggest you join the Class of 2008 thread.

Aside from making the pilgrimage along the Milky Way in the same year...we have many activities to do and share. It's a super thread to become aware of who may be on their Camino at the same time.

Also, we will need to gather some important "personal" information, such as: cap and gown size, ring size and design, stave color and finish (sable and rustic are available) and graduation dinner selection: Pilgrim Menu or Menu Del Dia.

The Camino: "Where every day is a holiday and every meal a banquet!"

All in all, a great time is promised for all!

Buen Camino,
Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Red Kite

We walked from Roncesvalles in late April of this year and we enjoyed it so much we are planning to do it all again in 2008. We'll start from StJPP this time but again in mid to late April.

Encountered a bit of rain and a lot of mud, especially just out from Pamplona and again entering Galicia. Otherwise, superb weather for walking. Personally, I find the cooler Spring weather best for walking.

The May Day holiday(s) make for a busy, crowded time and require everyone to be a bit flexible and patient, we were relieved when they finished and the crowds dissipated. I wouldn't let the May Day crowds be a deterrent though.

We had no problems obtaining our credentials in Roncesvalles and the Pilgrims' Mass there was a wonderful way to start the journey.

Buen Camino
Jorygen

Hi Red Kite,
I am leaving from Adelaide, Australia during the last week in April and planning my start from St Jean, walking throughout May and also taking about 6 weeks to get to Santiago. I see the Camino as a preparation for the 3rd stage of my life, when I would like to be at my best: physically, emotionally and spiritually...so there is a lot of hard work ahead for me .....

Buen camino,
Clarisa

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Red Kite,
On your question of starting at SJPP vs Roncesvalles: I definitely recommend starting at SJPP. That hike over the mountain is an exhilarating and beautiful way to start the camino. If you happen to arrive at SJPP mid morning you can walk the first 6 or 10 km up the mountain that day to stay at either Huntto or Orisson. At either of those places you'll meet about 25 others around the table for dinner which, if you're traveling alone is a neat way to meet some people. You'll likely see them again and again along the way. And then you only have about 20 km or less to get to Roncesvalles the next day. Hint - when you first enter the monastry area, on your left is the youth hostel (not just for youth). There you have only about 8 people to a room. At the other albergue down a bit further you have about 100 people all in one room. I've stayed in both but prefer the youth hostel. The other is quite an experience though!!
Buen camino
cecelia
PS. but you may have read under other sections that I also think that Finisterre is a great way to end the camino

Hi gang

I fly to Madrid on 2 May...I don't know yet what happens after that. Hahaha.

I've got a return flight from Santiago booked for 31st May. How much will I be able to cover? I'm reasonably fit 50yrs old... I did the Coast to Coast a couple of years ago.

I'm thinking of going to either Pamplona or Burgos (bearing in mind I want to go to Finisterre too)...which is a good starting point? Will I be able to get my pilgrim passport easily in either place?

Will anyone on here be around at the same time?

Grateful, as ever, for help.

Red Kite

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, I started from Burgos and was in great shape by the time I got to Santiago on the 29th May.
I have to say that the rain that day was unbelievable. Just when I was thinking ''it can't rain any harder'', it rained twice as hard.

Nevertheless, it was an absolutely awesome trip. The flowers were indeed beautiful. The hedgerows were gorgeous...Annie called them her cheerleaders because they always gave her a smile and the encouragement to carry on.

We both adored Galicia even though it rained every day from Sarria onwards. For me the walk to (and being in) O Cebreiro was just glorious. Loved it to pieces.

Other highlights included the random kindness of strangers, a wonderful rest day in Mansilla and the Portos crianza we had in a restaurant in Santiago.

We saved the best 'til last though...we went to Finisterre and the sun came out...beautiful. We walked to the lighthouse and watched the sunset. We were entranced.It was incredible.

I'm missing the camino...so I'm definitely going to have to do it again. Camino Portugese next year I think.

Congratulations!! I just love the words you used in your short post.
Sometimes terminology says it all and your words more than convey your camino experience.

"great shape...absolutely awesome... beautiful..... gorgeous..... smile.... cheerleaders.... encouragement..... adored.... glorious... loved it.... highlights... kindness...wonderful... the best..entranced... incredible..."

There is no doubt that you are "definitely going to have to do it again".
Big welcome back hugs to you and Annie,

Red Kite said:
adored Galicia .... Loved it to pieces....highlights included the random kindness of strangers...I'm missing the camino...so I'm definitely going to have to do it again. Camino Portugese next year I think.

Sitting at my desk at work (lunch time!) You brought it all back...and I'm smiling again...and plotting...which one next and which year! So happy to hear you guys had a blast, rain and all. I know which day you meant with the rain too! So cold so windy and amazing amounts of water that went on forever.

Camino Portuguese was great...more "urban" than some of what you may have done but the people were unbelievably kind and caring. I think if I'd tried to get lost it wouldn't have been possible!

Welcome home! and the "real" world!! But now you can escape by just thinking...Camino!

Karin :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We completed our Camino walking for it 29 days during the month of May. How to sum up the experience is what I struggle with. Just prior to leaving I started to get cold feet thinking I was taking on more than I could handle but it turned out to be an amazing experience that was both communal and personal.
Our group of six started from SJPP encountering so many wonderful people along the way. That we remember, we met people from 28 different countries. My husband, an Olympic athlete, said it was like the atmosphere of the Olympic Village. We were interacting with people ages 20 - 80 who all had the same goal. We were in tears when, the day after we arrived at Santiago, a women arrived who had walked it with the aid of her crutches. She was in the Cathedral square crying with joy, crutches waving in the air. We had no idea where she started from but she completed her goal and was celebrating. In our hearts we were celebrating with her.
We had our struggles along the way with shin splints, leg rashes, sore hips, blisters, over-tiredness, etc. but other than walking a bit slower and shortening up a couple days we were able to keep going at a really good pace. We had no other choice because of our time limitations. It helped that my husband is a physical therapist so he knew how to care for most of our aches and pains and we had lots of first aid supplies with us. (Walking flat footed if you have shin splints really helped especially when going down hill.)
We enjoyed the pilgrim dinners and ate well to maintain our energy levels. We had Marmot rain gear and strong pack covers that kept us dry in one of the rainiest months I have ever experienced. (We returned home to Iowa (USA) only to experience more rain and flooding.)
The rain and cold reinforced that we were on a spiritual pilgrimage and not on a vacation. We prayed our way across Spain and encountered many people that joined us in saying the rosary in their own languages or just simply showed us their rosary as we passed each other. We were able to attend Mass about 20 of the 29 days which meant a lot to us who normally attend daily Mass at home.
Upon our return we were grateful for things like clothes washers & dryers, warm, private showers and toilets with toilet paper and toilet seats but along the way their absence was just part of the experience.
I loved walking through the little town some with their very clean streets and some covered with cow manure.
Most people were so friendly and always willing to point the way. One woman even gave us a loaf of bread from her home when she saw us leave a closed bakery empty handed.
We had laughs about the difference in or lack of a modesty code for most Europeans. I am sure they think we are prudish but we had our laughs like the first time I walked into a co-ed bathroom that had the urinals next to the sink where I was to brush my teeth. We were also so happy to have separate bathrooms.
We loved the priest who ushered us into his church and began to sing a familiar song but in Spanish. He was so happy when we joined him in song that he proceeded to enthusiastically name all the saints that were represented by statues in his church. I think that we encouraged him as he did us.
I guess I could go on an on but I hope your get a feel of our Camino. You can see some pictures and more notes by visiting our blog. We will be uploading more pictures over the next few weeks as time permits. http://www.elcamino.norsketech.com/ecblog/ecblog.html
Blessings to all ........ Ruth

Ruth - what a hard, rocky, rainy, muddy, testing, exhausting .... wonderful, inspiring, testing, blessed camino you had. I loved your blog.... it reminded me often of Joyce Rupp's book "Walk in a Relaxed Manner" where she turned every hard experience into a lesson to be learned and tried to be a witness to others.
I walked my first camino in 27 days, from Roncesvalles, and at times it was a bit of a slog. I promised myself that I would go back when I had more time to do it in a more relaxed manner and I'm so pleased that I did.
Congratulations to the sensational-six!!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.