• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 2022

Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2020
I didn't manage the complete the Camino in 2019...a tendon in my foot decided to wreak havoc! Anyway, I'm intending starting from SJPDP in May 2022.
I'll be fully vaccinated and coming from Australia...are there any restrictions/quarantines I need to be aware of? Love to hear from the wise walkers on this.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello from Newfoundlandā€¦..I did complete the Frances in May 2019 and loved every step. Sorry you got defeated by your foot tendon, I would have been back May 2020 and May 2021 if it wasnā€™t for ā€˜you know whatā€™ā€¦..Iā€™ll definitely be back May 2022 and Iā€™m convinced thereā€™ll be no restrictions thenā€¦..see you on the trailā€¦.Buen Camino !

I didn't manage the complete the Camino in 2019...a tendon in my foot decided to wreak havoc! Anyway, I'm intending starting from SJPDP in May 2022.
I'll be fully vaccinated and coming from Australia...are there any restrictions/quarantines I need to be aware of? Love to hear from the wise walkers on this.
I hope to be on trail May 2022 also. Buen Camino from Canadian fellow pilgrim. Hoping all my stops have open albergues too and no pandemic....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband and I will be on the Camino Frances starting May 29, 2022! I'm confident the restrictions will all be gone but then again, I'm a very optimistic person. :) Making our flights at the end of July. I've already booked most of our rooms. :)

All those controls, rules, policies and requirements keep changing -- as they must because of the biological ability of COV to keep shape-shifting.

Try checking 6 weeks/4 weeks/2 weeks/ 72 hours out from when you aim to go. The information will be more valuable. Information now is rather irrelevant to that far distant future.

I am hoping I can acquire whatever MRNA booster will be on offer come early winter, and then fly to Spain for Jan 1, 2022. Will it be possible? No idea. I don't need a VISA for entry so I was able to buy a one-way, very cheap ticket that I can afford to lose.

I would tell any friend what the loan lottery corporation tells us: know your limits, play within it.

If you can't insure your ticket, or can't afford the loss, then I'd avoid booking now.

Keep your eyes open for the ticket sales, and for the virus trends in Spain and around the globe. Watch the hot-spots where you will have to make lay-overs (Dubai? Bangkok?), and makesurea you get health insurance to get you home if you need it.

And if uncertainty drives you to distraction, or having to meet a bunch of deadlines with moving goalposts will ruin your trip, then I'd say: try holding off until a time when it won't be spoiled for you.

Other than that: Buen Camino.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
In May 2022? It's hard enough to predict what restrictions there may be next month!
Hi @Tess301
Sincerely hope you can start planning BUT
in quote above it says you are coming from Australia. Do you have the ā€˜inside word ā€˜ on when we can leave/travel - ā€˜fromā€™ Australia? ..
I live in hope that our government indicates a clearance to do so soon. That IMO is the biggest restriction I can see at the moment.

However, maybe you have a travel exemption.
good luck with your feet & happy planning
Buen camino
Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
All those controls, rules, policies and requirements keep changing -- as they must because of the biological ability of COV to keep shape-shifting.

Try checking 6 weeks/4 weeks/2 weeks/ 72 hours out from when you aim to go. The information will be more valuable. Information now is rather irrelevant to that far distant future.

I am hoping I can acquire whatever MRNA booster will be on offer come early winter, and then fly to Spain for Jan 1, 2022. Will it be possible? No idea. I don't need a VISA for entry so I was able to buy a one-way, very cheap ticket that I can afford to lose.

I would tell any friend what the loan lottery corporation tells us: know your limits, play within it.

If you can't insure your ticket, or can't afford the loss, then I'd avoid booking now.

Keep your eyes open for the ticket sales, and for the virus trends in Spain and around the globe. Watch the hot-spots where you will have to make lay-overs (Dubai? Bangkok?), and makesurea you get health insurance to get you home if you need it.

And if uncertainty drives you to distraction, or having to meet a bunch of deadlines with moving goalposts will ruin your trip, then I'd say: try holding off until a time when it won't be spoiled for you.

Other than that: Buen Camino.
Sage advice - thank you. I hadnā€™t thought re the stop overs. My flights are in credit already from an aborted attempt sept 2020. Fingers crossed is as best I can do! šŸŒ¼

Will be in SJPDP on the 24th May 2022 God, Covid and every finger and toe I possess crossed. Flight booked, travel insurance got, still need to renew my EU health card.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Will be in SJPDP on the 24th May 2022 God, Covid and every finger and toe I possess crossed. Flight booked, travel insurance got, still need to renew my EU health card.
...I have made the executive decision of delaying till September 2022...hard to do but I think just right. Fingers crossed too ā€“ accommodation bookings are in the process of being established but flights from Australia still not clear...soon I hope the airlines will open up with some predictability!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
its 8 months away dont even worry , I am booked to start 13/4 and I am not the slightest concerned

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
An EU health card is required? Advice on how to get one. My plan is to depart SJPP on May 27

An EU health card is required? Advice on how to get one. My plan is to depart SJPP on May 27
Im not sure. Check here. https://www.spth.gob.es/
Iā€™m flying into France and taking train to spain so I filled out a form for France to make sure I can go into restaurants. Not sure iā€™ll need it for n May but trying to cover all bases.

If you are from any Country outside the EU (I am based in Ireland) I don't think you can get one. It's for EU citizens as we have a common agreement between member countries. That we can avail of either free or reduced cost medical care that is not to say that it replaces good travel/medical insurance as the EU card generally only covers basic medical care.

I hope to be on trail May 2022 also. Buen Camino from Canadian fellow pilgrim. Hoping all my stops have open albergues too and no pandemic....
Have you decided where you are starting from? What date? I am in Manitoba & planning to start out from SJPP on May 1st

This should give you the info you need - it is the Australian government traveller advice website. you can subscribe to get emailed updates.

At present, you need a vaccination certificate and a recent, negative test (apparently rapid flow is acceptable). You will also to get a QR code from the Spanish government. This seems to be easier than it sounds. Here is the website:

But of course, things could change very quickly. Anyway, buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And this is the Spanish government's tourism site that is regularly updated with the latest requirements by country.

We are also preparing for a Spring Camino - these are the things we are are monitoring from time to time so we can be prepared:
  • Requirements for leaving Australia (if any)
  • Requirements of your particular airline or airlines - these can vary between airlines
  • Requirements for entry to your first (and subsequent) EU destinations (e.g. Spain, France, Portugal, UK)
  • Converting your Australian vax certificate to an EU one - my reading is that this is relatively straightforward, at least in France and in Spain (as @dick bird says). We will be taking multiple printed copies as well as digital
  • Requirements for boarding your return flight
  • Requirements on arrival home
Some or these things have become less onerous recently - and some if not all may change by the time you (and we) leave.

But these are things we are keeping an eye on, from time to time. It's a long list - but so far it's not as overwhelming as it seems! At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Among other things, we'll be taking some RATs in our backpacks. Mercifully, they don't weigh much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Tess301
Sincerely hope you can start planning BUT
in quote above it says you are coming from Australia. Do you have the ā€˜inside word ā€˜ on when we can leave/travel - ā€˜fromā€™ Australia? ..
I live in hope that our government indicates a clearance to do so soon. That IMO is the biggest restriction I can see at the moment.

However, maybe you have a travel exemption.
good luck with your feet & happy planning
Buen camino
Annie

This should give you the info you need - it is the Australian government traveller advice website. you can subscribe to get emailed updates.

At present, you need a vaccination certificate and a recent, negative test (apparently rapid flow is acceptable). You will also to get a QR code from the Spanish government. This seems to be easier than it sounds. Here is the website:

But of course, things could change very quickly. Anyway, buen camino.
Thanks! Iā€™ve pushed the trip back to September 22 now - seemed a good idea given the certain uncertainty!!! Time passes very quickly these days and hopefully thereā€™ll be fading pandemic by thenšŸ¤žšŸ½

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didnā€™t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I donā€™t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back