• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May Special - Parador Hotel Santo Domingo de la Calzada

nreyn12

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2005) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010) (2011) (2012) (2013) (2014) (2015); Guide 2013-2016
Hi all,

If you are walking through Santo Domingo de la Calzada in May 2013, consider a night at the luxury Parador Hotel which was built by Santo Domingo as a hospital for pilgrims on the Way.

They are offering a special rate for May - 112 euros for a single room with breakfast buffet. A double room is around 145 euros, also with breakfast buffet.

To book, email: sto.domingo@parador.es

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I recommend this if you can afford a night of luxury. We had young honeymooners on one Camino (yes!) and they took a room here for a special treat. San Marcos in Leon is another luxury parador. Wonderful historic building, a bit far from the cathedral for me, but a great experience if you've never been to a parador. There are various special deals, it's worth trawling the parador website if you want to experience one.
Of course there is also the parador in Santiago itself opposite the cathedral.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
we splurged to stay there and loved it. i still have a picture of my wife toasting the carved chickens with her brandy glass. It is simply not true that to be real pilgrims one must spend every night in budget accomodations. It is hard to get any more authentic or memorable than the paradores.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Personally I think the breakfast buffet and the bathtub will be worth the price of admission...plan to start LATE that day!

By the way, there are two Parador hotels in Santo Doming de la Calzada. The price quoted above is for the one next to the cathedral. The other one is just a five minute walk away and costs even less.

I've occasionally splurged in paradors, and for me it's the towels and the sheets that are the high points. I don't know what the thread count is on those sheets but they are certainly are not your normal cotton.

The breakfasts are pretty lavish, but if you want to stick to an early schedule and get going, in my experience the staff will always whip you up something very nice for an early departure.

I'm actually kind of surprised the rates are that high for the specials given the economy. A few years ago on the Vdlp I got a room in Zamora's parador for 60.

I have had endless discussions with other peregrinos about those of us who occasionally stay in paradores and if you stay in one, just be prepared for some judgmental and negative comments.

Buen camino, Laurie

and p.s. Thanks for the post because I've just checked and seen that the Albacete parador has a special for 65! I will be walking through there in a few weeks, hopefully and might just splurge.

Yes, do it Laurie, stay in the Parador. You deserve those sheets! :roll:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back