• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite Parador in Santo Domingo de la Calzada

stevepjq

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - 2013, 2017, 2022. Next is Sept 2024
My wife and I plan to spend the night in Santo Domingo de la Calzada this April during our Camino. After the series of albergues we will be staying in, we want to live in a bit of luxury. There are two paradors in town - Parador de Santo Domingo de la Calzada (near the cathedral) and then Parador de Santo Domingo Bernardo de Fresnada which is nearer the town's exit . I've only seen these from the outside having never entered them. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I can certainly recommend the former, have stayed there twice. It's also in an excellent location for restaurants, the bell tower, the Cathedral and the Laundry too. Unfortunately I can't recall the other Parador even though I've walked through there four times......my age I guess.

Both are very nice, but I'd recommend the one near the Cathedral fot your overnight, for the reasons above.

Remember, most Paradors have a bar, cafe open to the public, if you want to experience the hospitality!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
About 25 years ago when my husband and were touring Spain by car we stayed in a corner suite in the Parador de Santo Domingo de la Calzada overlooking the freestanding cathedral tower.
At that time there was only one parador n Santo Domingo de Calzada . One of the pleaures was standing at our windows looking down on the Plaza del Santo after the day tourists had left as the lights came on . All was splendid.

Carpe diem and Buen camino to you and your wife.

My wife and I plan to spend the night in Santo Domingo de la Calzada this April during our Camino. After the series of albergues we will be staying in, we want to live in a bit of luxury. There are two paradors in town - Parador de Santo Domingo de la Calzada (near the cathedral) and then Parador de Santo Domingo Bernardo de Fresnada which is nearer the town's exit . I've only seen these from the outside having never entered them. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
In my opinion the Parador near the cathedral is definitely nicer. Good Luck!

My wife and I have stayed in both paradors twice. Yes, it is certainly a nice treat to stay in comfortable, luxurious historic buildings. For sure, the parador by the cathedral is the best. The other one is fine, but the wifi was only available in the lobby and the breakfast was not the sumptuous banquet that we had in the parador by the cathedral. Bob

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To give you an idea regarding price, I qualified for the pilgrim's discount. A double room for two including breakfast was 107.96 euros (parador by cathedral).

A nice perk if you are members of "amigos de paradores" you receive a voucher for free drinks at the bar (for both of us). Bob

Fabulous - many thanks for all the input. The parador nearest the cathedral seems to be the way to go. And yes, I did sign up for the amigos de paradores. Thanks again!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Agree that the Parador nearest to Cathedral was the nicest...rooms nicer and easier access to town. The other Parador is only a five minute walk from there. We ended up staying one night at each on our Camino to that town. Recommend the restaurant very close by...Los Caballeros de Gastro Meson.

In 2017 my brother in law and I enjoyed several Gin and Tonics in the Parador near the Cathedral. A very nice place which I am sure you will enjoy! Lucky you! 🤓

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I stayed in the one near the cathedral in Oct of 2023. Very nice although I would not say exactly luxurious (although it felt like it after weeks in dorms). I loved the location and the staff were outstanding.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed in the Parador de Santo Domingo de la Calzada near the Cathedral very nice & not that expensive, although I must admit it was a two night stay after my Camino Frances in August and myself and my wife were touring the Rioja region

Ditto parador by Cathedral, but don’t have them do your laundry. The cost is outrageous.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back