• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical Insurance

Jo Rose

Time of past OR future Camino
August, (2018)
I am 71 and am going on the Camino in two weeks. I tried to get travel and medical insurance through "Insuremytrip" and was told that they don't insure anyone over 69. I then contacted Travel Guard. I looked up the ratings and they were terrible. Mostly that they don't pay for much of anything, if they pay at all. Is there another insurance company that I can go to? Do travelers buy insurance for the trip?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Allianz.com offers insurance. My sister is over 70 and she has it. They limit the amount but it is IMO sufficient to cover most circumstances you might encounter.
Good company!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Check with a travel agent or search wider for insurance options. We've never travelled with out it, and while it can be more expensive for older folks, it's worth it. We have had to call on medical help on two of our trips, Spanish system is pretty good, but if it is major you will need insurance cover

If you cannot afford travel insurance, you cannot afford to travel...

I have used CoverMore for my Camino 2017 and will again in 2018 - I gather they will routinely insure up to the age of 69, and may insure people 70 or over (at additional cost).

Always good to read and understand the exclusions before you take out insurance, rather than find out about them afterwards. That said - who can understand the standard policy wording anyway? - so best look for a plain wording version which clearly outlines what is covered and what is not).

I routinely buy the travel and insurance offered by my airline. It is cost-effective, and covers medical evacuation if necessary.

Generally, immediate heath care is very inexpensive in Spain. It may be cost-effective to pay cash for emergency services, and rely on the airline travel insurance for really major events.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am 71 and am going on the Camino in two weeks. I tried to get travel and medical insurance through "Insuremytrip" and was told that they don't insure anyone over 69. I then contacted Travel Guard. I looked up the ratings and they were terrible. Mostly that they don't pay for much of anything, if they pay at all. Is there another insurance company that I can go to? Do travelers buy insurance for the trip?
I have used both InsureMyTrip and Squaremouth, and my husband and I are over 70. They sell travel insurance from many different companies and their website allows you to compare different policies. I only had to file a claim once - a company called CSA bought through InsureMyTrip I think - and been denied. My friend had to go to hospital during our camino, and she successfully filed her claim with Allianz. If you are a AAA member, you could check their travel insurance policies.

I am 70 and always use Squaremouth.com, which always offers me lots of choices; so many that comparing them is a bit difficult. They allow you to pick policies to compare and, once you get the hang of it, the compare feature is very useful.

I just used Squaremouth for some friends in their 80's and Squaremouth also had many choices for them. Travel insurance is definitely available for seniors although, understandably, it gets more expensive as you get older.

Be careful about reviews - most people never make a claim, of course, and so most reviewers know nothing about how well the claims process works with the particular company. Look for reviews by reviewers who have made claims. The others often just talk about how easy it was to buy the policy, which isn't really helpful.

Many of the companies insure existing conditions, but only if you buy the policy shortly (it looks like 2 - 4 weeks depending on the company) after you first spend any money on the trip; e.g. when you order your airline tickets, or whatever. This is probably too late to help you on this trip, but it might be useful to know in the future.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm going to put a third endorsement on Squaremouth. I begin by checking my domestic health insurance to see what they actually cover, then go hunting for a supplement travel plan for my own peace of mind. The thing to remember with these insurances is to read the fine print. The terminology is essential to understand. If you buy a plan that is specifically for emergency...it may mean services only in an Emergency Room of a hospital and not a clinic. Also pay attention to what they will require for paperwork for claims. Should you go to an ER or clinic...DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT your billing paperwork! I know of many who returned home with nothing in hand and no way to prove a bill as it was never forwarded as they were told by hospital. They paid via credit card and could never get what they needed to get reimbursed. Bottom line...just do lots of comparing before purchasing, read and understand the plan you buy, be sure to get all paperwork you need in the unfortunate event you use the insurance ( But...I'm wishing you injury free, happy steps! )

Hi Jo Rose, I was 73 when I hiked the Camino Francis. I took my time and completed the journey in six weeks. I maxed out on my travel insurance policy including medical evacuation. I got quotes from Travel Guard and Alliance, choosing the later for no particular reason as both were priced about the same. I am not sure why you experienced a problem with TG. I would call them again and discuss it with them including Alliance and Global Travel Insurance. Unless you have a serious pre-condition, I see no reason why should not find coverage. Good Travels. Rover

Another endorsement for Squaremouth. It's nice to be able to pick and choose which options you want and then pick the most reasonably priced company among those that can include your requested options. I fortunately have never had to file a claim, however.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have used Allianz for years. If you buy the insurance within a week or two (check) of booking your initial payment, ( ours was airline fee) they waved prexisting conditions. We had one incidence where I was unexpectedly hospitalized in Europe...and Allianz was very helpful and payed the costs within the parameters of the contract.

Hi Jo Rose, I was 73 when I hiked the Camino Francis. I took my time and completed the journey in six weeks. I maxed out on my travel insurance policy including medical evacuation. I got quotes from Travel Guard and Alliance, choosing the later for no particular reason as both were priced about the same. I am not sure why you experienced a problem with TG. I would call them again and discuss it with them including Alliance and Global Travel Insurance. Unless you have a serious pre-condition, I see no reason why should not find coverage. Good Travels. Rover
I misspoke . . . Alliance should be "Allianz"

A suggestion. I always extend the return date at least one day or more...in case there is a delay somewhere (not caused by illness or accident). If you miss your plane and your insurance lapses..you will not be covered more medical expenses.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree with the previous post. I would tack on a few extra days to give yourself some flexibility in case you change your plans along the "way." I did not lock in my return flight date for that very reason including insurance in case I opted to linger a while longer --- which I did.

We got great coverage from AAA. My husband and I are almost 80. I don’t remember exactly how much we paid but it was less than $60 and covered medical plus a whole lot more.

You are going to walk the Camino in two weeks, is it not a bit late to think about a travel insurance.?
Peter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are going to walk the Camino in two weeks, is it not a bit late to think about a travel insurance.?

Better late than never, i suppose :)

Travel Insurance is highly, highly recommended in a trip like a Camino. As mentioned before, it is good to buy one for a few days longer than the actual trip.
I usually use Allianz or Covermore, they have quite comprehensive options and I don't think there is an age limit.

Peter.

No...it is not too late...if you want medical insurance for something that might happen on the trip like an accident (hope that never happens). You will likely have difficulty finding insurance for preexisting conditions if medical issue occurs at this date. Definitely find a good plan! Buen Camino.

We used Covermire for our Camino in 2017. My husband had a fall on day 3 and we had to abandon our Camino. We spent seven weeks in Spain following surgery. They offered to fly us back to Oz but we wanted to return to the UK to be with our daughter. It was a pretty big claim and Covermire were excellent and delivered.
We are about to head off on our Camino in September this year and have taken out insurance with Covermire again.
Not sure which country you are from as this may impact on insurers. I have also heard that Siutherncross and 1Cover are good.

All Travelers should get insurance regardless of where they are traveling to. Your insurance agent should be able to assist you.

Check Squaremouth.com, a site that searches for available policies. I’ve been able to find coverage there easily and I am 72.

Just a reminder that this thread is 2 years old. Any discussion on insurance nowadays is going to be heavy on coronavirus coverage and exclusions, effect of travel restrictions, Government advice, etc....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back