• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical

KathyAraujo

Time of past OR future Camino
July 1 "2103"
What happens if you have an emergency situation on the Camino? We are traveling from Sarria to Santiago July 1st. Buen Camino. Thanks, Kathy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kathy

The Sarria to Santiago section is well traveled, and there are numerous towns that line the way, so you will always be not far from some form of assistance.

In terms of a medical emergency this will depend on the situation. Most of the major towns have a medical clinic capable of treating most minor injuries and the like. A more serious situation might require a visit the local hospital. A life threading situation would require a visit to a major centre such as Santiago itself.

At the very least make sure you have suitable medical insurance coverage

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The emergency phone number in Spain is 112. Spain has a good system of emergency response and medical care. Even if you don't have a phone, someone near you likely would.

Have a great trip!

The emergency phone number in Spain is 112. Spain has a good system of emergency response and medical care. Even if you don't have a phone, someone near you likely would.

Have a great trip!
Hi Kathy

The Sarria to Santiago section is well traveled, and there are numerous towns that line the way, so you will always be not far from some form of assistance.

In terms of a medical emergency this will depend on the situation. Most of the major towns have a medical clinic capable of treating most minor injuries and the like. A more serious situation might require a visit the local hospital. A life threading situation would require a visit to a major centre such as Santiago itself.

At the very least make sure you have suitable medical insurance coverage

Thank you for the useful advice.

Not sure where it is but I did read a thread here that discussed medical insurance. It was pretty good....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are several. Here's one (and it contains a couple more in peregrina2000's post:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/medical-insurance.7980/#post-102861

Just as I was looking at this issue again, I see that some folks make use of the travel insurance included with their Visa cards. It's a good deal, but beware - this and many other policies drop you after age 65. I always confirm with my company before leaving for the camino.

There are several. Here's one (and it contains a couple more in peregrina2000's post:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/medical-insurance.7980/#post-102861

Just as I was looking at this issue again, I see that some folks make use of the travel insurance included with their Visa cards. It's a good deal, but beware - this and many other policies drop you after age 65. I always confirm with my company before leaving for the camino.

A number of credit cards do offer travel medical coverage but many only offer it for a limited number of days. Best to check and download the latest policy information and documentation to confirm the coverage, and restrictions.

It is also good to check if your credit card offers by default, trip cancellation coverage. Save yourself some money and no not buy additional trip cancelation coverage if your credit card offers this already.

You may also find that your home policy offers baggage coverage. Even if you buy this separately as a rider on your home policy you may find this cheaper than buying this as part of comprehensive travel policy.

Also before buying a travel medical policy directly from your insurance company, bank or favourite association, check online.

Or check with your employer. Some lucky folks especially those that work for the government have very attractive insurance policies that will cover them while traveling.

For Canadians I have been using Travel Direct from Canadian Direct Insurance. They offer a very attractive travel medical coverage that is far less expensive than the brand name policies from the likes of Blue Cross and others. For my wife and myself it works out to be approx $1.40 per day per person. They have two ranges of age groups; under 59 and 60 - 89, and you buy the amount of insurance you need to the number of days you are out of country.

You can buy the policy online a few days before leaving.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife and I rarely rely solely on travel insurance provided through a credit card company. We find there is too much in the detail. Things like high excess charges, the requirement to claim several items separately with each claim having an excess, not covering missed connections unless there is a minimum of six hours between legs, as well as the issue vicrev has raised.

Another pilgrim directed me to squaremouth.com which offers a quote for health/cancellation insurance for your trip from multiple companies. I found it very helpful.

I did have an issue with travel insurance regarding pre-existing(turned out ok) & it wasnt a so called freebie with a credit card company.They really crossed the T's & dotted the I's........I know I'm going on about it & mentioned it in a previous post,it can send you financially broke big-time,especially us wrinklies...........read the fine print its loaded against the insured..............:).........Vicrev

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Over and above medical travel insurance if you have the opportunity consider a Global Travel Assistance plan. The one I have is through my former employer and is provided by Medex. I recently had a medical issue on the Swiss part of the Camino and one phone call to a Baltimore Maryland number (can call collect) was critical in my situation.

They lined up medical expertise, made travel arrangements for a flight home the next day (using the return flight portion of this booking next Monday to return) and paid for a nights stay in Geneva...and that wasn't cheap. They specialize in dealing with local medical people and provide very direct assistance to you. They even discussed things with my wife back home in Canada when the issue surfaced.

Note this coverage is wrap around coverage...you still need the country medical coverage mentioned in earlier posts.

Enjoy your walk!

Guy

If you break your arm in O'Cebreiro (which you won't as you will not be going there!), you will walk 21km the next day to Triacastela, thinking that it's just a strain. That will be Sunday and so nothing will be open. You will wait until Monday morning and go to the medical centre, because by now you will really suspect there is something wrong.
They will send you to Sarria, which you will do in a taxi while the rest of the family walks. You will be seen by a very nice doctor, have some xrays taken and then be sent to the hospital at Lugo. You will manage to find a bus to take you there. Then a taxi to the hospital. At this stage you may or may not get very lost trying to find the right department. You will also wish you had your passport and had not left it with the husband. Furthermore you will wish you could say more than hola, gracias and peregrina. By the end of the day you'll have worked out urgenxia, fractura and a number of other medical terms that will triple your Spanish vocab. You will also have worked out that everyone says hi to everyone else when they enter a waiting room. You'll take a taxi back to Sarria because you think you've put your daughter through enough for the day and it would be a long wait for the bus. You'll be ever so grateful that the taxi driver is honest and tells you it is going to be expensive (well you think that's what he said), but by this stage you really don't care. You'll then take a rest day in Sarria and when you get home the insurance will cover it all, right down to the restaurant meal for dinner!
That's what happened for us anyway. It was my 8year old who broke her arm simply falling over on the path by the albergue and she did it again six months later falling off a wall at home - it was much more fun in Spain!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Over and above medical travel insurance if you have the opportunity consider a Global Travel Assistance plan. The one I have is through my former employer and is provided by Medex. I recently had a medical issue on the Swiss part of the Camino and one phone call to a Baltimore Maryland number (can call collect) was critical in my situation.

They lined up medical expertise, made travel arrangements for a flight home the next day (using the return flight portion of this booking next Monday to return) and paid for a nights stay in Geneva...and that wasn't cheap. They specialize in dealing with local medical people and provide very direct assistance to you. They even discussed things with my wife back home in Canada when the issue surfaced.

Note this coverage is wrap around coverage...you still need the country medical coverage mentioned in earlier posts.

Enjoy your walk!

Guy

I too had a wonderful experience with Medex: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/medical-insurance.7980/#post-83031.

I hate to hear when people have problems using their travel medical insurance. Medex sounds lilke a good company. One thing to consider is if you are in an accident or become ill and have to end your trip early and return home, than a plan which includes trip interruption will cover any return travel expenses and refund you any unused tickets. These people seem to help Camino participants www.insurancefortrips.com.

We have medical/travel insurance that normally covers us for time away. For the Camino we will need extra days which we added on at renewal. This is cheaper than adding them on as an extension. Cover was charged at our ages at renewal so we didn't go up to the next 'age' stage. :) We have to declare that we have cover when booking our tickets, but this may be because our way of booking technically makes it a package tour not just travel.

For minor medical issues we have found the farmacias very helpful and knowledgeable.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had a micro tear on my Achilles tendon on my very first day going down into Zubiri (spelling, cant remember) and really suffered the rest of the month of walking into Santiago, the Red Cross clinics were wonderful, treated the tendon and helped me to carry on, then even lanced and disinfected a large corn that went very bad between my toes, enabling me to finish two days later in Santiago, they even gave me a syringe filled with Betadine, dressings and pain killers to take with me, wonderful friendly service.

With travel insurance just check out their interpretation of Pre-existing,it can be an absolute mine-field................:)............Vicrev

Yes, definitely read "pre-existing medical conditions exclusions." For example, taking cholesterol medication can be considered care for numerous conditions. I would recommend speaking to the company or insurance agent to make sure you understand your policy. Check our the Better Business Bureau or online for any complaints.

Happy New Year!

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.