• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mental Preparation Are you ready ?

Villeneuve1979

In a way, which one of us can say truly say that we are ready and prepared for everything that the Camino will bring.In some ways it is probably preferable to remain in splendid ignorance. I however, am not ready. As I pen this peice from my study at home in York (instead of resting up at the Hotel Des Arceaux in Bayonne on the eve of my walk on the Camino Frances, Jan 4.

On the eve of my departure (lastnight) I experienced a full-scale panic attack. Its intensity was mercifully brief but its message was far reaching and instaneous. I suffer from episodal clinical depression, and whilst I had been spared my conditions worst excesses this year, I had been under more stress in 2011 than I was conciously aware of.

I made the decision to walk with my heart, and when my head and heart are not opposed to each other I will make it to St Jean. That time has not yet come to pass, but I will know when Im ready, and my experiences will be all the richer for it Im sure !

I write this post, just in case it is off any comfort to any one else in a similar situation.

'Buen Camino' to all you intrepid hardy walkers that will be out there in Jan and Feb. Say a prayer for me when you reach Sant Comp, and I will pray for you too !

Happy New Year

Damian

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes Damian, when the head takes over from the body it's horrible, pleased you are able to talk about it. I know a lady you can talk too in Scotland, on the phone, Kathleen Haden - Reverse Therapy. If you put in google. Good Luck with your next round of preparations, your first lot will help the second.
David

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Damien,

Wise to stay at home when your head i.e. all the lessons you have learnt throughout life, tell you that you are not ready at this present moment.

Your time will come. I first read about the Camino in the 1980 but the practical difficulty of caring for four very small sons was my head over heart decision.

The Camino de Santiago has been there a long time and will endure.

In the meantime may the good Lord bless you as you journey on your own personal camino

regards,

I empathise entirely.
I am preparing for my long awaited return to the Camino. Physically every day, mentally and emotionally too.
I have a protracted history of depression and am no stranger to anxiety and panic - ghastly and crippling they truly are.
I wish you well in the lovely city of York and that time and circumstance will converge to take you on your camino when it is best for you.
The concerns you express are close to my heart, I wish you the very best and every kind thought.

suggestion....
take your heart
but leave your head at home
when your head is ready, let it catch up with the rest of you
that way everybody is happy
your heart goes on wild and dangerous trips to far-away places
and your head stays at home opening the mail and vaccuming the rugs in the tv room

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
+@^^ said:
suggestion....
take your heart
but leave your head at home
when your head is ready, let it catch up with the rest of you
that way everybody is happy
your heart goes on wild and dangerous trips to far-away places
and your head stays at home opening the mail and vaccuming the rugs in the tv room

LOVE this comment

Hello Damian. Thank you for sharing this post. I do believe in the power of prayer and yes, I will add your name to my prayers in the cathedral in Santiago de Compestela. I will begin my journey from St. Jean on May 23. So many things are passing through my mind about this trip I am making it is difficult to sort them other than to deal with each detail one at a time. In short, this trip is overwhelming for me too. I have never been to Europe before or been away from my wife and children for as long a time as this trip will take. I agree with you. Lead with your heart. I guess it is where the soul resides. Whatever is drawing me to Santiago, I am sure it will be realized there and not in my head. Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.