• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Miam Miam Dodo guide and Michelin mapbook

mla1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2000); St. Giles (2013); Le Puy-SJPP (2015); VDLP (2016); Mozárabe, Almeria to Granada (2018)
Hi,

I am hoping to walk the LePuy route for my next camino in the spring.
After reading much good advice on this forum, I plan to use the MMDD guide and the Michelin map book.

I am wondering if anyone knows how often these are updated.

The most recent MMDD on amazon.fr is 2014 -- do they update the guide every year?

The most recent Michelin mapbook is from 2012.

Thanks!
Mary Louise

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The MMDD guide is updated every year, but that is mostly places to stay and so on, the maps will be the same . Used my 2011 edition in 2013 without any problem. Leaving out some information may as well be that that they do not want to pay for being mentioned. The topo guides are best on maps but you really do not need a map unless you want to see the surroundings too. The route is well marked.

The MMDD is every year. I walked it Sep/Oct 2014, and had a 2014 edition of the Michelin that I bought in bookshop there. The Michelin doesn't give as much info as to accommodations and services, but maps, elevations, water stops are good and easy to use.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi DLJ and ranthr,
Thank you both. I might get the maps in advance -- just to have something to muse over during the winter. :)
And then pick up the MMDD when I get to LePuy.

I have bought my MMD already for next year. I think it is not a bad idea as I don't speak or read French and having it in advance helps you understand the book and how to read it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, both are updated annually. I found the MMDD invaluable for accommodation. The Michelin guide we looked at was geared to car travel. But that was a few years ago, perhaps there is a walking guide now. I used to use the Topo walking guides for their maps (www.ffrandonnee.fr) but now download for offline use everything using an app - IPhiGenie - which has as its database the official IGN French mapping authority topographical maps.

While you have Internet connection you don't need an app - for free access to all maps just go to www.geoportail.gouv.fr

Hi Kanga,

Last year I was in LePuy and saw the little Michelin map book in the pilgrim's office and also just in news agents. It is pocket-sized and designed for walkers. I've seen it mentioned here on the forum too. If I remember correctly the book is just maps -- not much other info. But it is very small (light!) and the maps are similar to the ones in the topo guides. It costs 6 euros. Here's the amazon.fr link: http://www.amazon.fr/dp/2067174010/

I have looked at the French map site - it's fabulous.
Is it possible to download the maps from that site?
Or is that why you also need the app IPhiGenie?

thanks,
Mary Louise

I've met people just using the MMDD guide as it has very basic maps but everything else you need. Other than that I'd take the GR guide (topo guide) which has maps plus route description and regional information; it is in French but you've time to work on translation. Good Luck.
UltreĂŻa.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is the all of the same information that is in the MMDD book available with the MMDD app?

Karl

Hi Kanga,

I have looked at the French map site - it's fabulous.
Is it possible to download the maps from that site?
Or is that why you also need the app IPhiGenie?

thanks,
Mary Louise

Sorry to take so long to reply Mary Louise, I didn't see your post until today. As far as I know you do need an app like IPhiGeNIe (another is Downees Outdoor France) to download the maps for off-line use. The full use of the app includes an annual license paid to the mapping authority. Otherwise, provided your route is fixed, you can use the website to zoom down to the scale you want for walking, and take screen shots which you can print out or store as images on your tablet or smart phone. The disadvantage, of course, is that you won't be able to locate yourself using GPS, as you can with IPhiGeNie, but hey, the world survived pretty well before GPS, just using maps.

HI Kanga, Thanks! This is helpful. I'm still not sure what I am going to do about technology. I've walked with and without before. But I'll think about the online maps -- on a walk I did last year in the UK I certainly could have made good use of something that went beyond the edges of my map! cheers, ml

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've met people just using the MMDD guide as it has very basic maps but everything else you need. Other than that I'd take the GR guide (topo guide) which has maps plus route description and regional information; it is in French but you've time to work on translation. Good Luck.
UltreĂŻa.
Do you know if this is only in French? Would like to get one, but am only just starting to learn French for our August /September Camino. :) Perhaps I need to learn quickly !!!

Michelent - The guide is in French - but you will still be able to use it. It is primarily used for its listings of accommodation and restaurants/bars/stores. You won't need French to be able to use these. I ordered mine from the Confraternity of St James bookstore in the UK. It arrived in Canada in less than a week.

So the MMDD guide will help me from Le Puy to SJPP, but I would also need the "yellow" book to help me from Geneva to Le Puy? Can it be understood if I don't read French or German? I am working on my French, but it is hard teaching an old dog new tricks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So the MMDD guide will help me from Le Puy to SJPP, but I would also need the "yellow" book to help me from Geneva to Le Puy? Can it be understood if I don't read French or German? I am working on my French, but it is hard teaching an old dog new tricks.

Depending on time of year and Camino you wish for will influence guide books you wish to carry. From Le Puy I think MMDD is sufficient. From Geneva to Le Puy the "yellow giude" is helpful.

Bon Chemin.

Depending on time of year and Camino you wish for will influence guide books you wish to carry. From Le Puy I think MMDD is sufficient. From Geneva to Le Puy the "yellow giude" is helpful.

Bon Chemin.

Have you walked the Geneva to Le Puy route? We hope to walk it this year starting mid April and we are keen to get any information we can on this Camino. We cannot find much information on the walk. Is there a forum on this walk?

Is the all of the same information that is in the MMDD book available with the MMDD app?

Karl

I had both the book and the app and they coincided pretty well, but if taking only one, I'd probably opt for the book because it's easier and faster to scan the listings when they're all on one page. On the other hand, if you have GPS on your phone, the app can save you from getting lost or wandering around searching for your accommodation because it shows you exactly where you are in relation to the GR65 and/or the gite you're heading for. One caveat: The app map didn't always locate things accurately. Using the app map and GPS, I once ended up at a retirement home instead of the municipal gite. Another time, I arrived at a farmhouse surrounded by barking dogs and was informed that the gite I was looking for was a kilometer away, back in the town I had just left!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I keep seeing a few accronyms that I do not understand, and MMDD "was" one of them, but it didn't quite fit: 2000 I got (MM), D I got (500), but DD would be wrong, it should have been a third M. It's not 3000, it's Miam Miam Dodo. But to be exact, it should be MMD as it's three words, not four: Miam, Miam, Dodo. Ah, but them it would work in Roman numerals, and people could be truly confused ;0)

Thank for enlighting me with this thread ;0)

Michelent - The guide is in French - but you will still be able to use it. It is primarily used for its listings of accommodation and restaurants/bars/stores. You won't need French to be able to use these. I ordered mine from the Confraternity of St James bookstore in the UK. It arrived in Canada in less than a week.
Thank you Mla1, will order one now :)

Have you walked the Geneva to Le Puy route? We hope to walk it this year starting mid April and we are keen to get any information we can on this Camino. We cannot find much information on the walk. Is there a forum on this walk?
I didn't find a forum devoted to this route. I got most of my information here on Ivar's site and also by following links. I assume you've looked at Nev's http://mycaminosantiago.com/ . If visibility is good and you are attentive you shouldn't have any difficulty with route finding as it is reasonably well marked.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had both the book and the app and they coincided pretty well, but if taking only one, I'd probably opt for the book because it's easier and faster to scan the listings when they're all on one page. On the other hand, if you have GPS on your phone, the app can save you from getting lost or wandering around searching for your accommodation because it shows you exactly where you are in relation to the GR65 and/or the gite you're heading for. One caveat: The app map didn't always locate things accurately. Using the app map and GPS, I once ended up at a retirement home instead of the municipal gite. Another time, I arrived at a farmhouse surrounded by barking dogs and was informed that the gite I was looking for was a kilometer away, back in the town I had just left!
Thanks. I think I will definitely get the app, but may get the book as well, although I probably won't carry it if most of the info is in the app. I'll practice on the app and see if I can get by with it. Hate to carry books if I can help it!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back