• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Moderators Hate Emojis 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodlaRob

Oz Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Torres (2016) Portuguese (2016)
Don't understand why Moderators are removing Emojis from Member posts?
Noticed this recently when a post on a vdlp thread I was watching had all emojis removed???
They were a lot of very helpful ✅✅️'s to show recommended rooms, eating places, etc on the vdlp....
Surely emojis are now part of everyday life (whether you like them or not)....and one would assume our valuable hard-working Moderators could better utilise their time elsewhere? 😋
Eg Remove self rewarding useless posts that have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the original question posed by the OP. 🤷‍♂️

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Noticed this recently when a post on a vdlp thread I was watching had all emojis removed???
They were a lot of very helpful ✅✅️'s to show recommended rooms, eating places, etc on the vdlp....
Surely emojis are now part of everyday life (whether you like them or not)....and one would assume our valuable hard-working Moderators could better utilise their time elsewhere? 😋
Eg Remove self rewarding useless posts that have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the original question posed by the OP. 🤷‍♂️
Well: this isn’t a work of reference, it’s a forum - it’s not simply ‘ask a question’ then ‘get an answer’. Sometimes if someone thinks you’re an arse, they might say so - although this is one of the most well-mannered forums on the web.

Emojis? Well they have a use; but not everyone (myself included) understands - or indeed wants to understand - the subtlety of their meaning. IMHO it makes the poster seem barely literate.

For example, this👍 is widely seen as ‘passive aggressive’, this 🍆 is allegedly a penis and this (more logically) 👐⚓️ suggests you’re a wanker.

Might we not just stick to typing out what we actually want to say in the forum-language of English?

Last edited:
The post I'm referring to had a long list of accommodations, meal locations, etc ...and a simple big green tick on the posters personal recommendations.... quick & easy really after long day walking.
Sure, if you want to be ambiguous, use all sorts of bizarre emojis like you have....BUT is that any different to all those posters who are very ambiguous using the Written word? 🤫

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Too many emojis can make a post hard to read I think.
But the subtle use of emojis 'sparingly' can help with communication / understanding.
It is far too easy for the written word to be misunderstood.
Particularly when it's an attempt at humour ;)

Sorry if you don’t like the decision of the mods, and I know that mod decisions should typically be discussed in private, but I’ll make an exception here. We do leave a lot of emojis in messages, when they are used to convey a sentiment or emphasize a reaction. You may disagree, but our reaction was that these emojis did nothing to add to the clarity of the text, or make it easier for anyone to find the information that was conveyed in there. We prefer that language be the primary source of communication. And I’m going to close the thread because I don’t think it helps to hash it out anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_1819.png
    IMG_1819.png
    276.8 KB · Views: 211
Stepping in afer the thread has been closed (Moderator's privilege) to add that in fact in the post in question the ✅ added provided exactly zero information because they were included after each and every place listed. They were all recommendations and they all received the checkmarks. No one needed the check marks to know that they were recommendations, the fact that they were included conveyed that information. Had it been a list of places, some of which were recommended, some of which weren't, where the recommendations were conveyed by the checkmarks, it might have been difference. Similarly, pizza slices were added to indicate food available. In all cases this was clear from the text.

Hard working moderators utilise their time to help keep the forum readable, a readability that is diminished if every few words there is an emoji that adds no information.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello! I am following the instructions about editing my ACCOUNT DETAILS since I want to change the year of my past/present Camino/s but when I go to this page, the Past/Present Camino/s option is...
Is it possible to private message other members? I have tried clicking on the name of the person I’d like to message (a mod, to ask when the monthly start date threads are posted) but all I see is...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back