• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning a Mozárabe Camino Walk in 2022: Guide and Organization Confusions

maritr

Time of past OR future Camino
Some since 2002 and hopefully more to come
Hello all!
(By the way when do you stop being a ”new member”? Been one since 2010…)

I have a dream - to walk the Mozárabe from Almería this year. If only the covid will calm down! As I’m now 70+ , I feel that it’s really time. Who knows when my body doesn’t want to, or isn’t able to, take me on camino walks any longer?
But I have questions about this camino. Have read different threads and searched info on the net, but need some things sorted out:
1. CAMINO GUIDE: is it really so that there are no guides, in the form of a book, on this camino? I can use digital guides but so prefer to as well have something written, for planning etc. And it’s difficult to find out which guide to use, which one that is the best and most updated. I really like the ones with detailed descriptions of what streets to walk, when to turn, what to look out for etc. Walked from Granada in 2011 and used Alison Raju’s guide. But it must be outdated now. Any tips here?
2. Reading about this camino I’ve been a bit confused as there seems to be different organisations helping pilgrims in Almería and onwards. La Asociación Jacobea de Almería - Granada Camino Mozárabe (almeriajacobea.es), and La asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Almería Almería Jacobea (asociaciónalmeriajacobea.org). The first one claiming that they’re most updated and like “in charge” of this camino. (If I got it right…) In threads here on the forum people have been talking about the amigos, which seems to be the other one. So help me out! Which one should I use, trust etc. Maybe both?
Looking forwards to your answers!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all!

I have a dream - to walk the Mozárabe from Almería this year. If only the covid will calm down! As I’m now 70+ , I feel that it’s really time. Who knows when my body doesn’t want to, or isn’t able to, take me on camino walks any longer?
But I have questions about this camino. Have read different threads and searched info on the net, but need some things sorted out:
1. CAMINO GUIDE: is it really so that there are no guides, in the form of a book, on this camino? I can use digital guides but so prefer to as well have something written, for planning etc. And it’s difficult to find out which guide to use, which one that is the best and most updated. I really like the ones with detailed descriptions of what streets to walk, when to turn, what to look out for etc. Walked from Granada in 2011 and used Alison Raju’s guide. But it must be outdated now. Any tips here?
2. Reading about this camino I’ve been a bit confused as there seems to be different organisations helping pilgrims in Almería and onwards. La Asociación Jacobea de Almería - Granada Camino Mozárabe (almeriajacobea.es), and La asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Almería Almería Jacobea (asociaciónalmeriajacobea.org). The first one claiming that they’re most updated and like “in charge” of this camino. (If I got it right…) In threads here on the forum people have been talking about the amigos, which seems to be the other one. So help me out! Which one should I use, trust etc. Maybe both?
Hola Marita!

I am flying in to Almeria on 16 May and planning to meet members of the Association on 17 May. I start hiking on 18 May and plan to reach Córdoba. I will be just 70. I have printed up-to-date information from the resources section of this site - always grateful to members for their fabulous input and commitment.

If you would like to meet up and head off together, you are welcome. April may be better but I prefer to avoid Easter period this year.

I have walked the Kungsleden from Hemavan to Abisko in Sweden, so my sense of direction is pretty good!

Anyway, may I recommend as background literature: South from Granada by George Brenan

By the way when do you stop being a ”new member”? Been one since 2010…)
Hi, @maritr,

I think the forum software hands out the titles based on your participation, so since you have only posted a few times, you‘re a new member in the computer’s eyes.

A forum member wrote up a guide based on his walk. There have undoubtedly been changes, but it may be a good start.

The Amigos Asociación in Almería is definitely the group that has been the most help. This is the group that is in charge of the alberges up and down the route till Granada. I’m sure that’s who @filly is going to meet.

And I can’t find anything at “almeriajacobea.es” — when I click on the link it takes me to a blogspot page which then tells me that the page has been moved. I do know that there is an Andalucía Federation in addition to the Amigos, but I can tell you you won’t go wrong with the Amigos. You will need to be in contact with them to get information on the albergues.

The amigos publish a monthly updated guide online, and the most recent one I can find is October 2021. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P1NOFhHAq05kZ648gaFU7VzSwosviNor/view

If you would like to meet up and head off together, you are welcome. April may be better but I prefer to avoid Easter period this year.

Maybe this is the seed for another “Mob on the Mozárabe” get together. In 2018 a few forum members started chatting about walking the Mozárabe on the forum, and by the time we got to Almería, there were about 12 or 13 people all loosely connected through the forum. We did not all walk together, but several little groups formed organically. We started in mid April and it was perfect!

It’s a great camino, I think you will love it. Lots of castles to explore, lots of olive groves, wonderful people. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you both!
Lots of useful information.
Yes I realised today that I couldn’t get into that page any longer. Got the same information as you. And couldn’t find it. But a couple of days ago I found lots of information on that site. Even a guide. Strange…! The picture here is a screenshot from their site that I took for the info.
I’ll check out the links you sent Laurie. Thanks again!
Marit

Attachments

• D5EE4DA4-CF5E-46C8-A938-D2CE53FEFF4D.jpeg
    D5EE4DA4-CF5E-46C8-A938-D2CE53FEFF4D.jpeg
    751 KB · Views: 14
Well now I’m even more confused, cause the guide you sent a link to Laurie, I have most certainly seen before. And I think that was on the other website I wrote about. Is it the same association?? But I may have mixed it up. Been reading so much online lately…
Marit

There is a memoir about the Mozarabe from Almeria called Two Million Steps, I think. Not sure if it would help you, but it is free to read on Kindle here in the US. I read it a few years ago. The author has his opinions, but it might give you some ideas of the Stages.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all!

!. Have you seen this site - the Spanish Postal Service - https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com - the routing is amazing - there are some pretty difficult trails to follow between Granada and Cordoba, especially at the time of year that you are looking at as the olive trees are being pruned and the cuttings are piled up before they are burned.
2. My friend who did Almeria to Granada in 2019 did everything through the Asociación Jacobea de Almería and h said that they could not have been more helpful.

Hi Miritr.
It is essential to be in contact with the Almeria association because at all of the association's albergues between Almeria and Granada, on arrival at the albergue you found a key safe by the door and the process was to 'phone your contact (in my case Nelly) who gave me the code to release the key. She also offered to help if I encountered any problems between Almeria and Granada.
Regards.
George.
PS Make a note of the code, you feel foolish if you have to 'phone again 'caus you've forgot it!!

Last edited:
It does seem that the website of the Almeria association is not functional, and I have updated this other pinned thread about the Mozarabe. However, they do still update their guide on their Facebook site.

@peregrina2000 linked to a document on Google drive. I don't often use Google drive, but it seems that the link may be specific to a document with a specific name and that was the October 2021 version.
The amigos publish a monthly updated guide online, and the most recent one I can find is October 2021. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P1NOFhHAq05kZ648gaFU7VzSwosviNor/view

To find the latest version, you can go to the Facebook page where the Association provides an updated monthly link. There is currently a link to this update in January 2022.

Maybe the Association will re-activate their other website, but it is also possible that they have decided not to bother maintaining both the regular website and the Facebook site. Facebook sites are easier for volunteers to update. Even if you don't regularly use Facebook, it might be worth having an anonymous Facebook account solely to "read the articles" occasionally.

You can also email the Association at caminomozarabedealmeria@gmail.com to ask for information or a link to the latest guide.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That is the default designation and it lasts until you figure out how to change it, or maybe until you reach a certain number of posts. But you can change it anytime - Go to your Profile, Account Details, and look for "Custom title".

Last edited:
I have nothing useful to add to the advice above - just to say that we walked on the Mozarabe (from Granada to Merida) in 2015 - LOVED IT. Amigos and locals so happy to see pilgrims - including the local policia from whom we sometimes had to collect the albergue key.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well now I’m even more confused, cause the guide you sent a link to Laurie, I have most certainly seen before. And I think that was on the other website I wrote about. Is it the same association?? But I may have mixed it up. Been reading so much online lately…
Marit

I’ve been in contact with my buddy Verónica (aka Camino Angel in Almería) and she has straightened it out.

The Asociación Jacobea de Almería is primarily resposible for the Camino del Argar, which goes to Murcia. Sometimes they give out information on other caminos, including the Mozárabe, but it is not always correct.

The group you definitely want to be in touch with is the Amigos. They are the ones who have built and furnished the albergues, and they now operate them. As @C clearly noted, they update the online guide every month. The facebook page is an easy way to communicate and to get updates, but I know not everyone uses facebook. Verónica said that they were unaware of the problems with the website, but that they confirmed that yes there are problems, so they will try to see what´s going on.

Hope this clears up the confusion, buen camino, Laurie

There is a memoir about the Mozarabe from Almeria called Two Million Steps, I think. Not sure if it would help you, but it is free to read on Kindle here in the US. I read it a few years ago. The author has his opinions, but it might give you some ideas of the Stages.
Hi!
Have the book, met the author and walked together with him on Via de la plata 2019. He,s not very detailed in the book and says (we still keep contact!) the guide he followed was not so good. And he could'nt use his phone for additional help. But thanks for tip anyway.

I’ve been in contact with my buddy Verónica (aka Camino Angel in Almería) and she has straightened it out.

The Asociación Jacobea de Almería is primarily resposible for the Camino del Argar, which goes to Murcia. Sometimes they give out information on other caminos, including the Mozárabe, but it is not always correct.

The group you definitely want to be in touch with is the Amigos. They are the ones who have built and furnished the albergues, and they now operate them. As @C clearly noted, they update the online guide every month. The facebook page is an easy way to communicate and to get updates, but I know not everyone uses facebook. Verónica said that they were unaware of the problems with the website, but that they confirmed that yes there are problems, so they will try to see what´s going on.

Hope this clears up the confusion, buen camino, Laurie
Thank you so much! Not confused anymore! I belong to the few(?) who don't have/use facebook. but in cases like this, to get updated information, I realize that it could be good...
But I will definitely get in touch with the Amigos! And now I feel like I'm on my way, after "talking" to you all. Time to find a flight?
Thanks again!
Marit

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
!. Have you seen this site - the Spanish Postal Service - https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com - the routing is amazing - there are some pretty difficult trails to follow between Granada and Cordoba, especially at the time of year that you are looking at as the olive trees are being pruned and the cuttings are piled up before they are burned.
2. My friend who did Almeria to Granada in 2019 did everything through the Asociación Jacobea de Almería and h said that they could not have been more helpful.
Hello Robi!
Thanks! I checked into this site and will most certainly explore it more. But it seems like the asociation they, and your friend, refer to is not the Amigos, but the other one....?
Marit

Hola Marita!

I am flying in to Almeria on 16 May and planning to meet members of the Association on 17 May. I start hiking on 18 May and plan to reach Córdoba. I will be just 70. I have printed up-to-date information from the resources section of this site - always grateful to members for their fabulous input and commitment.

I have walked the Kungsleden from Hemavan to Abisko in Sweden, so my sense of direction is pretty good!

Anyway, may I recommend as background literature: South from Granada by George Brenan
Hi!
Well I'm avoiding easter too. The plan is to start the week after easter. But haven't booked any flight yet. Oh so you have walked in our mountains?! I once walked a bit of Kungsleden from Abisko. But only for a couple of days.Had one year old toddler on my back! i did walk in Padjelanta though in the seventies...
Buen camino!
Marit

It does seem that the website of the Almeria association is not functional, and I have updated this other pinned thread about the Mozarabe. However, they do still update their guide on their Facebook site.

@peregrina2000 linked to a document on Google drive. I don't often use Google drive, but it seems that the link may be specific to a document with a specific name and that was the October 2021 version.

To find the latest version, you can go to the Facebook page where the Association provides an updated monthly link. There is currently a link to this update in January 2022.

Maybe the Association will re-activate their other website, but it is also possible that they have decided not to bother maintaining both the regular website and the Facebook site. Facebook sites are easier for volunteers to update. Even if you don't regularly use Facebook, it might be worth having an anonymous Facebook account solely to "read the articles" occasionally.

You can also email the Association at caminomozarabedealmeria@gmail.com to ask for information or a link to the latest guide.
Hello and thank you!
I think that I have to start with Facebook. Been avoiding it for years and years but seems good to have when walking this camino for example.
Marit

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for this thread. I'm planning to walk the Mozarabe starting in April, and this has certainly helped to clear up the confusion for me.

Thank you for this thread. I'm planning to walk the Mozarabe starting in April, and this has certainly helped to clear up the confusion for me.
Good! Since then I have more information about the two associations as I’ve been in contact with both. Seems like there was one that then split into two. Don’t ask me why. Being one they had the Amigos in their name. I think that is why people refer to them. But the one that manages the albergues and marking of the camino etc is: Asociación Jacobea de Almería-Granada Camino Mozárabe. They have changed their website to www.caminomozarabesantiago.com. You’ll find lots of info there.

The other one : Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago Almería Almería Jacobea. www.asociacionalmeriajacobea.org. Also guide of the camino there, and they have also another camino, el Argar.
The persons (presidents) of the associations that I wrote to were both very nice, offering help if I needed, sending phone numbers etc. I now think that it is the first mentioned that is essential to contact, even if you could check the other one out too.
Well Buen Camino! Maybe we’ll meet.
Marit

I am carefully following this thread. As I indicated erlier on an old site, I intend walking this route during April of this year. Hopefully we will start out on the 9th. I found the facebook page with the updated guides. There is even one for February now - they are really on the ball and super-helpfull as far as I can see.
My question now is if it is possible to purchase this guide as an actual document that I can carry with me, because I find it so very difficult to de-cipher it all on the small screen on my phone.
And yes, I will try to keep notes and if all goes according to plan I will be happy to forward you my notes as I did before with the VdlP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am carefully following this thread. As I indicated erlier on an old site, I intend walking this route during April of this year. Hopefully we will start out on the 9th. I found the facebook page with the updated guides. There is even one for February now - they are really on the ball and super-helpfull as far as I can see.
My question now is if it is possible to purchase this guide as an actual document that I can carry with me, because I find it so very difficult to de-cipher it all on the small screen on my phone.
And yes, I will try to keep notes and if all goes according to plan I will be happy to forward you my notes as I did before with the VdlP.
Can you print it to carry along? I have been known to do that. If you fold it in half it will fit in a gallon zip lock bag for protection and to keep it organized.

Yes I understand. Thank you for your excellent suggestion.
I have started a doc where I picked out different bits and put them together for easy reference which I will update each month. It's such a good guide re maps, elevations etc. There is nothing I want to leave out really

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello all!

Hi Martir- have you decided yet when you will be walking the Mozarabe? I am planning to start from Almería next Thursday the 21st. Would be interested in meeting up with you should our schedules coincide.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back