• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Municipal Alberge Porto

scubajunky

Hi all,
Does anyone know if there is a municipal Alberge in Porto? or a place which would allow me to hook up with other pilgrims in Porto ?
Thanks in advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am looking fo the same thing, especialy since non Camino albergues tend to end up being a poor option for rest before a Camino. I have emailed them to know if they have a bed for the night I will be there but no news...

The "muni" is about 10km out of town... There is also a convent, about 2 km from old city center, but with no beds on the day I will be there.

The "muni" is at viaportuscale.pt.vu, the convent is Nuestra Senora do Rosario de Vilar.

I tried to find an inepensive pension bit no luck. Someone suggested Air B&B but for one person only it makes little sense. If you are walking with others it may work for you, but not to connect with other pilgrims.

Hope this helps, as negative as my answer is... :(

Sorry, don't know of a albergue but we stayed at Dixo's Hostal last year. Good price and great location.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Look on the town map of Porto in Brierley's guide and you see all possibilities to stay.
We had bad experiences with hostal Duas Naçoes . Small filthy rooms, very noisy, people arriving in the middle of the night , no consideration with other people being asleep.
Second time we booked hotel Central in Matosinhos. Excellent and easy for going back to Porto. Nice walk along the ocean and river or excellent connection to the center with bus#500 or the metro. And from there you can easily walk to Vila do Conde on the caminho 20 kms .
Third time for a longer time we booked an AIRBNB in the Lapa area close to the center and the metro to the airport.

thanks for replies, there seems to be quite a few hostals on booking.com so I may just bite the bullet and stay in a hostal for my first night in Porto and get the subway to Matosinhos in the morning and start my walk from there.

Look on the town map of Porto in Brierley's guide and you see all possibilities to stay.
Second time we booked hotel Central in Matosinhos. Excellent and easy for going back to Porto. Nice walk along the ocean and river or excellent connection to the center with bus#500 or the metro. And from there you can easily walk to Vila do Conde on the caminho 20 kms .
Like the OP, I wanted to stay in a pilgrim specific place, and certainly want a quiet night making most of the albergues in Brierly a non option: having stayed in non pilgrim hostels in Barcelona and Bilbao I do not wish to repeat the experiece. This being said, I think the idea of finding a bed in Matosinhos is brilliant. Had not thought about it since I was thinking pilgrim hostal but that may ne the way to go: from the airport dumb bags there, have a quick nap, metro to afternoon early evening Porto visit, next morning back to Porto for more siteseeing, walk back to Matoshinos and the next morning onto Vila do Conde. Thank you Albertinho.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Go to "airportohostel.com" - great place, lovely hosts and very convenient.

There's a nice place here: http://viaportuscale.wix.com/refugio that is donativo. It is not directly on the Camino, but it is on off of public transit from the airport. Reservations are required! Be sure to ask Abel for his hand drawn sello.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed in the albergue in the convent mentioned above for €5 about a week ago. It can't be reserved so I can't imagine that it would be full unless of course they also have rooms for a different price.

I was the only one that night. It has one bathroom and a kitchen. Unfortunately no one had cleaned it for a while as the garbage was overflowing and the bathroom was not clean but it was a roof and a bed.

The day out of Porto is all asphalt and cobblestones - 2-3 hours urban, later often along roads without sidewalks. Suggest running shoes or sneakers. Most of the following 2 days are also filled with asphalt. I have walked many Caminos but never encountered so many hard surfaces and at times dangerous roads. Just a heads-up.

Last edited:
I stayed in the albergue in the convent mentioned above for €5 about a week ago. It can't be reserved so I can't imagine that it would be full unless of course they also have rooms for a different price.

I was the only one that night. It has one bathroom and a kitchen. Unfortunately no one had cleaned it for a while as the garbage was overflowing and the bathroom was not clean but it was a roof and a bed.

The day out of Porto is all asphalt and cobblestones - 2-3 hours urban, later often along roads without sidewalks. Suggest running shoes or sneakers. Most of the following 2 days are also filled with asphalt. I have walked many Caminos but never encountered so many hard surfaces and at times dangerous roads. Just a heads-up.
You better could have chosen the way out of Porto by the coast. Via Matosinhos ,Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates. Everybody here on the forum is advising this since many years !
Or..if you like the original way out of Porto as you did, take the metro from Porto to Fórum Maia to avoid the dangerous busy infrastructure and walk from there through a rural area .

Are you talking about N. S. do Rosario de Vilar? You can book online, but the website tells me there are no availabilities for my dates. Or perhaps there is another section, for pilgrims only? Because online they ask 22 Euros.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,
Does anyone know if there is a municipal Alberge in Porto? or a place which would allow me to hook up with other pilgrims in Porto ?
Thanks in advance.
Try the poets inn in porto - stayed there very good & resonable price

Is that with respect to the Coastal or Central route ?

@scubajunky the Central route. I had already walked the Rota Vicentina along the coast for 9 days and had only 4 additional days to walk so on a whim decided to take the Central from Porto. It was not planned beforehand.

@Anemone del Camino indeed I mean the same but I stayed in the pilgrim's albergue that is in another separate building although you need to pick up the key in the main building. €5 including disposable sheet.

@Albertinho I was advised by someone in the albergue in Porto about the metro option out of town but I am bull-headed and believe in seeing everything - the good and the bad (so I guess that I shouldn't have complained). Still, it is dangerous in parts.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[QUOTE="LTfit, post: 394837, member: 8594

@Anemone del Camino indeed I mean the same but I stayed in the pilgrim's albergue that is in another separate building although you need to pick up the key in the main building. €5 including disposable sheet..[/QUOTE]

Thank you for clarifying this. There is no mention of the albergue section on their website. You said no reservations, right?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back