• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto - Finisterre - SdC

EricBerg

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, May 2019
I am still in the planning stage for June this year. Unfortunately for various reasons I only have a small window to walk this year. I had planned to walk to SdC and then onto Finisterre. My question is, is it possible to walk to Finisterre and then onto SdC? I'm aware that I can walk anywhere, but would there be Albergues once I leave the main route and divert to Finisterre?

Many thanks

Eric

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am still in the planning stage for June this year. Unfortunately for various reasons I only have a small window to walk this year. I had planned to walk to SdC and then onto Finisterre. My question is, is it possible to walk to Finisterre and then onto SdC? I'm aware that I can walk anywhere, but would there be Albergues once I leave the main route and divert to Finisterre?

Many thanks

Eric
Not sure if I'm understanding the question correctly. There is a Camino route which has albergues. This means you can walk from Santiago de Compostela- Finisterre - Muxia - Santiago de Compostela. The route is signed in each direction, so you can choose to go to Finisterre or Muxia first. I think the whole loop is around 8 day's walking ( depending on how far you walk each day)
John Brierley has a guide book which covers this route, and if you do a YouTube or Google search for 'Stingy Nomads' they have good information on it.
Hope this helps👍

Not sure if I'm understanding the question correctly. There is a Camino route which has albergues. This means you can walk from Santiago de Compostela- Finisterre - Muxia - Santiago de Compostela. The route is signed in each direction, so you can choose to go to Finisterre or Muxia first. I think the whole loop is around 8 day's walking ( depending on how far you walk each day)
John Brierley has a guide book which covers this route, and if you do a YouTube or Google search for 'Stingy Nomads' they have good information on it.
Hope this helps👍

Hope this helps👍

Hope this helps👍
Hi,
What I am trying to do is to walk the Central Route and then at some stage divert to Finisterre first and then onto SdC. Yes, I know that there will be auberges form Finisterre to SdC, but are there any at the point that I leave the central route ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,
What I am trying to do is to walk the Central Route and then at some stage divert to Finisterre first and then onto SdC. Yes, I know that there will be auberges form Finisterre to SdC, but are there any at the point that I leave the central route ?
Unlikely because you are making up a route! ;)

Albergues? No. Small Hostales and other, relatively in-expensive accommodations yes. The obvious route is Padron, Noia, Cee, Fisterra. From Cee you'll be back on an official Camino. You will reverse Fisterra to Cee to continue to Santiago. A reasonable mapping app should find you a route between Padron and Cee and with a little effort you could stay off the main highways but most accommodations will be on the main highways. Google.maps is your friend for finding accommodation on that route, not Booking.

Happy planning

Yes, I know that there will be auberges form Finisterre to SdC, but are there any at the point that I leave the central route ?
There might be at the point you leave the central route, but after that you are unlikely to find albergues until you reach Cee. Other forms of tourist accommodation will exist, not necessarily at convenient places. You might get some assistance from the Galician tourist authorities finding out what accommodation is available, and where it is, or you might just search using one of the mapping engines.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Albergues? No. Small Hostales and other, relatively in-expensive accommodations yes. The obvious route is Padron, Noia, Cee, Fisterra. From Cee you'll be back on an official Camino. You will reverse Fisterra to Cee to continue to Santiago. A reasonable mapping app should find you a route between Padron and Cee and with a little effort you could stay off the main highways but most accommodations will be on the main highways. Google.maps is your friend for finding accommodation on that route, not Booking.

Happy
Many thanks

There might be at the point you leave the central route, but after that you are unlikely to find albergues until you reach Cee. Other forms of tourist accommodation will exist, not necessarily at convenient places. You might get some assistance from the Galician tourist authorities finding out what accommodation is available, and where it is, or you might just search using one of the mapping engines.
Many thanks

The mapy.cz app is great for finding alternative walking routes.

They have two options - "tourist" which tried to follow way marked paths, and "fast" which offers the fastest route.

As you can see from these maps, the "tourist" route from Padrón to Cee follows the Camino.

Screenshot_20240227_095732_Mapycz.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_095654_Mapycz.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,
There won't be 'pilgrim' support between wherever you leave the Central Route, and where you pick up the Camino Finisterre route as this isn't actually part of any Camino. (You may be the only one sporting a scallop shell!😉)
Obviously a doable option though.
Make sure your language skills are up to fending off locals trying to tell you that you're going the 'wrong' way😄
Have fun, and Buen Camino 👍

The mapy.cz app is great for finding alternative walking routes.

They have two options - "tourist" which tried to follow way marked paths, and "fast" which offers the fastest route.

As you can see from these maps, the "tourist" route from Padrón to Cee follows the Camino.
It would appear to be an option to leave the Central route at Caldas de Reis and cross the Rio Ulla on the Ponte de Caitora and then the Rio Tambre on the Ponte de Seilan. There appears to be ways of minimising the amount of road walking, although around the two bridges, one would be walking on short stretches of major roads. Imagery from Google Maps Streetview indicates that there are well protected pedestrian walkways on both bridges.

It would appear to be an option to leave the Central route at Caldas de Reis and cross the Rio Ulla on the Ponte de Caitora and then the Rio Tambre on the Ponte de Seilan. There appears to be ways of minimising the amount of road walking, although around the two bridges, one would be walking on short stretches of major roads. Imagery from Google Maps Streetview indicates that there are well protected pedestrian walkways on both bridges.
Here is one such option using Open Street Maps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back