• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Musical instruments on the Camino

Calimocho

Mark
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct. 2006 - Roncesvalles to Los Arcos
Oct. 2016 - Los Arcos to Burgos
I'm planning on doing the section of the Camino from Sarria to Santiago in early October and am thinking of taking my fiddle with me. I have a $20 garage sale fiddle that can fit in my backpack and I don't mind if it takes a bit of a beating. I wouldn't plan on serenading my fellow guests at hostels while they're trying to sleep, but would like to play alone along the way and maybe jam with other musicians at the hostels in the afternoon. Can anyone tell me if you have seen others playing music along the Camino?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On my first Camino, I met a pilgrim who had a bagpipe! It was fun to hear him play, and I think most others also appreciated it. I think as long as you are not playing in the middle of bunks at night, most people would enjoy it. There is actually quite a bit down time on camino, so if you are prepared to carry the weight I say go for it.

I'm planning on doing the section of the Camino from Sarria to Santiago in early October and am thinking of taking my fiddle with me. I have a $20 garage sale fiddle that can fit in my backpack and I don't mind if it takes a bit of a beating. I wouldn't plan on serenading my fellow guests at hostels while they're trying to sleep, but would like to play alone along the way and maybe jam with other musicians at the hostels in the afternoon. Can anyone tell me if you have seen others playing music along the Camino?
@Calimocho
At Pequeno Potala albergue in Ruitelan last November a professional musician from Edmonton, Canada sang and accompanied herself on a guitar which stays in the albergue. She played mostly folk music, in the dining room but not at meal time, and many pilgrims including myself gathered to enjoy her music. I do not recall her name but she seemed to be enjoying herself.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wouldn't plan on serenading my fellow guests at hostels while they're trying to sleep, but would like to play alone along the way and maybe jam with other musicians at the hostels in the afternoon.
I wouldn't mind being woken in the afternoon, when I often snooze, by the sound of a fiddle being played!
Best of luck in finding fellow musicians to jam with.
Regards
Gerard

I played guitar at albergue Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piaês Portugal. We stayed there several times. The guitar is there. I did not take one from home Also played guitar at the Santarèm hostal in Santarèm Portugal. Mario , the owner has a big collection of guitars.
Never saw anybody playing during our three caminos.
But I bought a guitar in Braga Portugal after one of our caminhos in 2014 and this year a cavaquinho, a kind of Portuguese ukulele ,also in Braga.
Once at a gypsy festival in Paris a man arrived ,carrying his double bass on his back.
As a double bass jazz player I got an idea right now for my next caminho.. The bass on my back, my backpack in the front. All away from SJPDP to Santiago. Where shall we meet to jam ?:p:p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last year while on Promitivo there was a Belgian with a ukulele. I always saw him carrying it and striking up sounds as he walked or met people. Think he only acquired it for his walk from Belgium.
Yes, take your talent and fun along.
Buen Camino.

Hola Calimocho!

Last year we were chillin out at a cafe in Ages on the Camino Frances when up walks this guy with his donkey. He just sat down with us and serenaded us at our table. It was just one of the many beautiful and spontaneous things that happen all the time on Camino. And we got to walk with his beautiful donkey for a while too.

Another time, just walking out of Pamplona a local old chap just stopped us and sang a sweet song about the Camino to us. It was magical!

Bring your fiddle!

Buen Camino
Davey

Ages.JPG

We walked from sarria to Santiago 2014. There were some musicians walking. They would play at stops along the way. We loved listening to them. There were also a lot of students playing music and singing along the route we enjoyed this too. It gave a happy atmosphere. My 11 year old enjoys getting lorries to honk at him along the route. Some pilgrims probably found this noisy but others joined in and clapped and cheered each one he got

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked April/May this year and saw a Frenchman carrying a saxophone as I left an Albergue one morning. I caught up with him again in the albergue St Juan Bautista at Grañón where the hospitalero called him to move his saxophone off the seat. From memory I think he was called Antoine. At this particular albergue they use a local bakers oven to cook the vegetables and you are made to sing for your supper. We sang Yellow Submarine by the Beatles as everyone knows that and even those that can't sing can manage it! The following morning before dawn I followed Antoine out of the albergue and was quickly outpaced and left behind. Then when he was a suitable distance from the village I heard him playing Yellow Submarine as he walked along. It was surreal, the mists were rolling down from the distant mountains as the sun broke the horizon and music rolled over the fields. A real joy.

Antoine acting as temporary hospitalero at the Albergue San Nicolás as he recuperated/rested following a bout of tendonitis. Thanks for a great memory!

Attachments

• P1100512.JPG
    P1100512.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Click the above link to see a really good pianist making the use of a piano that is far from great. At Grañón St Juan Bautista. Worth listening all the way through.

Click the above link to see a really good pianist making the use of a piano that is far from great. At Grañón St Juan Bautista. Worth listening all the way through.
@Gareth Griffith
A truly amazing video. As a watched it, I was suddenly seized with such a longing to be there that only the fact that I leave for the camino again in six weeks could comfort me. I am beginning to suspect that two caminos will not be enough.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From Sarria to Santiago, you may have a large audience. I plan to take a recorder and a harmonica, but for my own pleasure on thoe lonely times moreso than to serenade others.

I would be remiss if I did not just mention that the last 100 km is usually quite busy with many more Peregrinos than East of Sarria. Those who have come from St. Jean are looking, mostly, to complete the journey in the way they have become used to, mostly the silence of Nature.

Myself, if I hear the strains of a lone violin, I will look for you and offer you a welcome on the Way.

Buen Camino

In 2009 in late August, I met a young pilgrim from Estonia, Adam. With the help of a Spaniard, he bought a cheap guitar early in the walk (Pamploma I think) and started walking and playing it. I would often pass him either walking and playing or just sitting on the side, playing. It turns out, in Estonia they had a limited amount of exposure to guitar music, especially the blues. His dad had played the guitar and he had learned some basic stuff. This was an opportunity for him to explore it further. At albergues he was a hit, trying new things he had taught himself. He met many guitar players on his walks who also taught him some things. I would say that he was viewed very positively by everyone and became very accomplished at creating his own blues music for single guitar, which is quite tough to do for a novice. He did not push himself on people, but responded well if asked. I would guess that most who met him saw this as adding to their camino experience and guess it was the highlight of his. Bring your violin, but respect that maybe not everyone will want to hear you. Those that do will thank you.

Buen Camino

I had almost given up on the idea of bringing my fiddle - the packing and transportation issues were a little too much - but you all have inspired me to keep trying to figure it out. Thank you!
I've also decided to just continue my Camino in Los Arcos, where I left off ten years ago, rather than start in Sarria.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back