• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Adventure Begins May 1, 2019

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2019)
I did it. I bought my plane tickets. I leave Boston April 29, arrive in Pamplona April 30, and start walking from St. Jean May 1. I hope to walk around 25-30k per day, arriving in Santiago on May 31. I've added a few extra days in there for rest/injury or to go to Fisterra, departing Santiago on June 4. Thank you all for your help getting me to this point. This is a great forum full of wonderful people. If anyone is arriving around the same time, let me know. The first step is always the hardest. im-going-on-an-adventure.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
May 1 which occurs on a Wednesday in 2019 is a public holiday in France and Spain; much will be closed
In France May 1 is Labor day/ FĂŞte du Travail and May 8 is Victory day/ jour de Victoire commemorating the end of WW2 in Europe. These are popular holidays with multitudes of tourists traveling. Transport and accommodation is usually heavily booked in advance.

For more re this holiday see the earlier thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/public-holiday-at-start-of-may.44803/

Hapy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola @Douglas Christel , my dear friend MS has beaten me to the punch. I was going suggest that if starting from St Jean on May 1st, do a little preparation - buy any extra travel supplies you might need the day before; also ensure that you have enough cash to get through to the next ATM.
Lastly - a special Buen Camino - I started my camino on this date in 2017 planning to do the Napoleon route - but Mother Nature had other ideas - heavy rain/snow and high winds required a Plan B. Maybe you might have one up your sleeve also. Cheers

Thank you for the head's up. I'm aware of both holidays. I'll be arriving early enough in Pamplona and St. Jean on April 30 that I'll be sure to get $, food (I'm also packing a few protein bars), and walking poles the day before I start on May 1. I will also book ahead at St. Jean and Roncesvalles. As for weather, not much I can do, but pack warm layers and go with the flow via Valcarlos if necessary. Is there any other Plan B for such an occasion?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did it. I bought my plane tickets. I leave Boston April 29, arrive in Pamplona April 30, and start walking from St. Jean May 1. I hope to walk around 25-30k per day, arriving in Santiago on May 31. I've added a few extra days in there for rest/injury or to go to Fisterra, departing Santiago on June 4. Thank you all for your help getting me to this point. This is a great forum full of wonderful people. If anyone is arriving around the same time, let me know. The first step is always the hardest. View attachment 50272
Hi Doug,
We may or may not cross paths. I'm starting my Camino in Leon on May 18. Fly from Phx to Madrid on the 16th, arrive on the 17th, take the train to Leon, and start walking on the 18th. I plan to walk about 20km/day, arriving in Santiago around June 4. If I make it earlier, great, if not, I don't plan to get back to Madrid until June 11. If you see someone hiking with these patches on their pack, it's me! :) First Camino, I'm excited! Kevin20181216_124432.jpg

Hi Kevin,
I'll certainly look out for your pack. I hope you have a safe flight and enjoy your Camino. This is my first Camino as well. I'll have the button below on my pack.
Doug

1546252462751.png

I did it. I bought my plane tickets. I leave Boston April 29, arrive in Pamplona April 30, and start walking from St. Jean May 1. I hope to walk around 25-30k per day, arriving in Santiago on May 31. I've added a few extra days in there for rest/injury or to go to Fisterra, departing Santiago on June 4. Thank you all for your help getting me to this point. This is a great forum full of wonderful people. If anyone is arriving around the same time, let me know. The first step is always the hardest. View attachment 50272
My husband & I will start out first Camino a few days behind you. We arrive in Pamplona on May 3 from New Orleans. We begin our walk from SJPP on May 5. Our daily goal is 20 to 25 km, so we may not catch up with you. We hope to be in Santiago by June 12. Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I start my journey from SJPDP a few days ahead of you on April 26th. However given the pace you plan to walk you will catch me in no time. I hope to see you and say hello as you wiz by, look for the old guy from Oklahoma who will be shuffling along...

This is exciting to see how many are traveling and starting at the same time! My two girlfriends and I will fly from Oregon into Paris and then take the train to SJPDP to begin on Wednesday May 1st. Appreciate knowing about the Holidays and guidance for Plan B if needed. We have scheduled a full rest day each week, arriving in Santiago June 5th. Hi Douglas, hope to meet you in those first few days before you fly ahead. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is exciting to see how many are traveling and starting at the same time!

Exciting indeed! I can't wait to meet you all. I'm going to try to book a bed for St. Jean and Roncesvalles today. Suggestions welcome!

Happy new year to all. Safe travels everyone!

Jealous of all you guys getting ready to go on camino, I absolutely loved my May walk across Spain.

And @Douglas Christel "you'll never walk alone" on your patch will never have been more appropriate.

For accomodation, while I haven't stayed there personally I know a lot of people on the forum are very keen on Beilari just a few doors down the street from the pilgrim office. Last year In 2017 I stayed at Le Chemin Vers L'Etoile, a nice old building with a rather eccentric owner who will give you the pep talk of your life, whether you want it or not ;).

Buen Camino everyone!!

Rob.

Hi All,

I too will finally be walking this year. The Camino has been calling me since 2011 and the time has come at last. I plan on walking the Northern/Costal route part way, then taking the Primitivo route when I get to Villaviciosa. I want a difficult and less traveled route. I have just begun planning but I don't want to get too carried away and want to just let this unfold as it may. I have been a member of this forum since 2015 but this is my first post so I thought I should make an introduction. I will be making my pilgrimage solo.

Buen Camino friends

Cary

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I too will finally be walking this year. The Camino has been calling me since 2011 and the time has come at last. I plan on walking the Northern/Costal route part way, then taking the Primitivo route when I get to Villaviciosa. I want a difficult and less traveled route.

Hi Cary,
Best wishes on your first Camino. Assuming I get the bug, the Norte or Primitivo will be my next Camino. It's not all that different terrain from what my friends and I hike each summer. I may seek your wisdom next.
Happy New Year!
Doug

Hi Cary,
Best wishes on your first Camino. Assuming I get the bug, the Norte or Primitivo will be my next Camino. It's not all that different terrain from what my friends and I hike each summer. I may seek your wisdom next.
Happy New Year!
Doug

Thanks Doug!

I live in the Colorado Rockies so want the rugged route.

In 2017 I stayed at Le Chemin Vers L'Etoile, a nice old building with a rather eccentric owner who will give you the pep talk of your life, whether you want it or not ;).

I was looking at SJPP accommodations yesterday and will likely stay at the same place. I'm a coach, so I always look for inspiration for my future pep talks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Plan A: Route Napoleon.
Plan B: Valcarlos route.
Plan C: Overnight in town, reconsider A & B.
Plan D: Bus. ALSA/Conda to Roncesvalles or Pamplona. Artieda from Roncesvalles to Zubiri.
Plan E: Remain in SJPdP; apply for French citizenship.

My daughter (27) and I (66) will begin our Camino in Sarria April 22-23. You’ll recognize us as two beautiful, funny, friendly women from Kansas City. She’ll be using a three-wheeled walker (due to mild to moderate cerebral palsy) and we definitely will be transporting our luggage versus backpacking!

There was a big bottleneck in Zubiri and nearby towns during the first week in May this past spring. You might want to reserve Ahead for that stage too. We made reservations early on, and were very glad we did.

Buen Camino, it’s a beautiful time to walk!

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back