• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino del Norte

Jikoaite

Time of past OR future Camino
april-2017
Hi, I am from Ljubljana, Slovenia. Finally I've got my plane ticket to Biarritz, and since I'm arriving late, I reserved a room near the airport. It's the 3rd of April 2018 and I plan doing my first Camino from Irun to SdC starting on the 5th. I've got my Wise Pilgrim Guide to the Northern Camino, most of my gear and a strong will. See you on the Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I am from Ljubljana, Slovenia. Finally I've got my plane ticket to Biarritz, and since I'm arriving late, I reserved a room near the airport. It's the 3rd of April 2018 and I plan doing my first Camino from Irun to SdC starting on the 5th. I've got my Wise Pilgrim Guide to the Northern Camino, most of my gear and a strong will. See you on the Camino!
I walked the Norte starting April 20, 2016. Loved it! I chose to turn on to the Primivito at Oviedo and that was wonderful, as well. Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Welcome to the forum @Jikoaite. You will find an abundance of information here. I walked the Norte last year and really enjoyed it, even though there was more asphalt than I liked. If you have any questions, be sure to ask here...you will find lots of support.
Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you. I have been following the forum for some time now. It helped me with choosing my "way". I am a bit apprehensive about the weather in april, but I'll be happy with whatever comes down: sunshine or rain.

Are there luggage transport companies on the Norte. We are planning to start May 13 and someday seem long and I do not go uphill well. Just wondering how it is ? Also, can you easily find a cab if days get too long?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@gloria lowe assume you will be carrying your own pack seems to be the best option. Take only the stuff that is essential - one set of walking clothes, something to wear when they are being washed, a rain shell, a warm top. Even if you do finish up by getting your pack carried sometimes, it is sooooo nice not to be burdened with "stuff" when on camino. Not to face making decisions about what to wear each day. Only having underwear and socks to wash. One small bar of soap for body, clothes, hair. Toothbrush. Do not pack your fears. Enjoy finding out how easy life can be. We lighten our load and we lighten our hearts.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@gloria lowe assume you will be carrying your own pack seems to be the best option. Take only the stuff that is essential - one set of walking clothes, something to wear when they are being washed, a rain shell, a warm top. Even if you do finish up by getting your pack carried sometimes, it is sooooo nice not to be burdened with "stuff" when on camino. Not to face making decisions about what to wear each day. Only having underwear and socks to wash. One small bar of soap for body, clothes, hair. Toothbrush. Do not pack your fears. Enjoy finding out how easy life can be. We lighten our load and we lighten our hearts.
I will not be carrying my pack. I have already walked twice and I know my limits. 70 y/o, overweight, bad knees and I don't go uphill well. The Norte seems to be the most challenging so I know someone else will be taking my pack if I want to do this. I took nothing extra and it was still too heavy.

Get your practice hikes in.
The first part of the Camino del Norte (from Irun to Bilbao) has some good climbing, especially if you follow the coastal route.

@gloria lowe OK - that makes it clearer.

If Correos are not the answer, perhaps other members who have walked recently could provide information about other luggage transfer options. There is usually someone locally who will take packs (and passengers). I found the local tourist information services good, if there is one.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get your practice hikes in.
The first part of the Camino del Norte (from Irun to Bilbao) has some good climbing, especially if you follow the coastal route.
I’ve been practicing for 3 years and I will never be able to walk uphill without stopping all the time. I couldn’t walk up hill as a child and after 2 heart attacks I still cant and my cardiologist says not to worry just walk and stop because immediately my heart rate goes back to normal. He says some people are just short winded. I’ve already done from Pamplona to Santiago and survived. So I know I won’t carry a pack. I just would like the name of a transport company and be able to find a good map.

If Correos are not the answer, perhaps other members who have walked recently could provide information about other luggage transfer options. There is usually someone locally who will take packs (and passengers). I found the local tourist information services good, if there is one.

Do you know what Pais Vasco is? Correos say they only do this area during the week . They also say they don't do Cantabria.

Pais Vasco is literally the Basque Country (Euskadi). If Correos says they only serve this area then that only covers the first part of the Camino del Norte (the part in Euskadi - roughly Irun to Bilbao).
Sorry, I can't help you with any info about a pack transport company.

Glad to hear you have your pace figured out. Just walk and rest and know that you will get to the top. Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jikoaite,
I'm also doing my first Camino starting from Saint Sebastian to SdC, arriving from Paris somehow-not sure how yet, and plan to walk most of the way but as I only have 5 or so weeks( & I want to spend the odd two nights here & there) I may catch the odd train to SdC. I arrive in Paris,via Abu Dhabi from Australia, on the 7th April so I would say I'd start walking around the 13th, depending where I want to have my birthday and as it's a BIG one ! Maybe catch you walking !

Hi, I am from Kranj and I'm doing my first Camino (Frances) in April - starting on April 24th from SJPDP. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back