• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino del Salvador (May 2014)(4 days)

daandownunder

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Podiensis (2010)
Camino Frances (2012)
Camino del Salvador & Primitivo & Finisterre (2014)
Via de la Plata /Camino Frances (2015)
Well... It has been a few months, but I figured I should post something about my experiences on my last camino, the camino del Salvador in particular, especially the part where I got lost (or felt lost) on day 1. Haven't read anything about anyone getting lost there previously, so maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm going to share this anyway!

Overall: fantastic camino!!!

Day 1: León - La Robla.
All went well, good signs, until I took a left at the end of Cascantes to avoid walking by the side of the road. And that's where I think I must have missed an arrow...

It was a long long long walk... And really warm, can't believe I was worried about snow before leaving, it was around 30 degrees in the sun. I had read about this alternative on the forum and also a nice gentleman in a previous town had told me about this alternative (that is also waymarked). Well... Arrows were very sparse, especially at junctions... There weren't any... That should have told me something was wrong, but being on paths, seeing the plant, AND always finding another vague yellow arrow on something just before my "if I don't see an arrow I'm going back"-deadline (but in hindsight, maybe I was seeing them because I wanted to see a yellow arrow...), I kept going... Well... after an hour and a half of this (and 30km for the day) I was starting to despair that I would have to go back and take the highway option, cause I was behind the plant, but could not see the town or the river or the highway and had no idea where I was heading. But then came the only car (and person) I saw since Cascantes. Had to practically throw myself in front of it to stop it (cause at my waving, he started to wave back...)(noooooo STOP). He stopped, I had what was probably my first and hopefully only hyperventilation episode of my life. The man got out of his car and started patting me on the back (talk about feeling like an idiot...). But anyway, he had no idea about the camino, but could point me towards La Robla. So back on track, but not the camino I think, that's when, seeing as I met no fellow pilgrims all day, I almost decided on skipping the rest of this camino (cause the mountains were still ahead and I was loosing my head on the flats behind a thermal plant) and getting a train to Oviedo.
Probably would have, if it weren't for the fact that at the albergue in La Robla I was welcomed by 3 very nice Spanish gentlemen, 2 walking together and another on his own. And I was very welcome to walk with them the next days.

Day 2: La Robla - Poladura de la Tercia
Day 3: Poladura de la Tercia - Pola de Lena
Day 4: Pola de Lena - Oviedo.

Well, no more hyperventilating, but after walking the camino del salvador in 4 days, rather than my originally planned 5 (I stuck with the guys) I enjoyed a rest day in Oviedo and I needed it... I could barely walk, my muscles were so sore from day 3, 38 km, climbing a lot and descending even more after Puerto de Pajares... No walking up and down the highest dune near the Hague prepares you for that!
The scenery on this camino is spectacular! Even with the fog and clouds we had on day 3...

The Primitivo was also wonderful, after walking a 38km monster of a day, nothing really seems all that tough anymore. Before I used to regard anything over 25km as a long day... I moved that limit to 35 after this camino. Walked the primitivo in 12 days and ended up with enough time to add the walk to Finisterre. All in all, a fabulous camino!

Maybe someone can say something about the right alternative way after Cascantes on day 1. I think all went wrong when I crossed a bridge (pretty soon after leaving the road) and maybe ended up on the wrong side of the thermal plant...? I also passed underneath a railway... I haven't found any maps that have you cross the river (but then there are no alternatives shown on the maps I had either...) And if the alternative was indeed where I ended up (but I doubt it), maybe some new arrows at junctions..? For future pilgrims, and also my next time!

Thanks very much to everybody who answered my questions before heading out!
Buen camino! I'm dreaming of my next one already... Studying the via de la plata section of the forum!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So was the thermal plant on your right?

Yes, it was on my right...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I need to figure out how to do this map tracking think / GPS Beatrice - by the way if this was your first day - good job!
I have a Garmin GPS watch that I start in the morning and turn of when I reach the albergue. That way I always know how far I have walked and I also have GPS coordinates for all my photos (the reason why I use it).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi I noticed the sign in Cascantes, it was towards the end of the village and pointed up a narrow pathway. I decided not to take it but go with the arrows up the road, I believe it brings you out past La Robla about 3-4 km on, and brings you on to the main way over the historic bridge in the little village there. I was looking to the area west of the Industrial plant when we were on the road next to it thinking what the other route would be like, I had the impression it would be more industrial than the one we were walking, but maybe less asphalt.

P.s Just remembered how I know it brings you out and back on to the main route. The yellow arrow which diverts you in Cascantes has some writing in yellow next to it and is the name of the place which I saw the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Garnin GPS watch (or something like it) is my new want-to-have-gadget for my next not so populated camino...
Great map... I definitely wasn't on that camino. I crossed the river after turning left at the exit of Cascantes... Didn't wander of too far in the wrong direction though, because I didn't climb any hills (but kept going in the direction of the thermal plant). And I finally entered La Robla coming across that bridge you see on your map that takes you to a roundabout and then into town... And there... I found yellow arrows and the albergue!

But I'm still not sure where the alternative is supposed to take you... from the looks of Beatrices map she didn't take the left at the end of Cascantes? So the right way to go on the alternative after that left in cascantes is still a mystery to me?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back